Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Ace of Hearts ( )
Date: January 10, 2016 09:22AM

I've heard this phrase thrown around by true believers when I ask them about deeper doctrinal issues with BofM, BofA, D&C, but I'm starting to wonder if even they know the answers to them. So where does the "meat" come in? Does it come from the pulpit on a Sunday Sacrament meeting? In the Priesthood meetings, or Relief Society? Or do you have to wait until you get to the temple to find out what the church you have agreed to sacrifice so much for actually believes?

I am a nevermo, so I honestly don't know what tbms consider "meat." I spent a lot of time on lds.org just trying to figure out their beliefs on repentance. There was so much conflicting essays, talks, and scriptures on the matter I was at a complete loss as to what they believe. The "plan of salvation" throws out general ideas, but does not explain what they mean within the context of the church. I feel like repenting and being saved would be a pretty basic doctrine, but I guess I'm wrong.

So in your personal experience, did you ever encounter any "meaty" teachings as a tbm, or is the cake a lie?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: January 10, 2016 09:28AM

The meat is what was taught and believed back in the 1960's, 1970's and before. Really weird stuff. The majority of today's Mormons have not been taught or even know about what used to be taught. It is kinda like deciding to home school your kids but never actually teaching them how to read and write. Yet expecting the children to know how to read.

Posted by: Ace of Hearts ( )
Date: January 10, 2016 09:33AM

Interesting...I also heard of something called the Institute program that failed because they didn't show candor over policies and history, but my friend in the church goes to some kind of rebooted Institute. Does anyone know about that?

Posted by: Heretic 2 ( )
Date: January 10, 2016 02:51PM

The institute program is going strong and never ceased. It is religious instruction classes for college students. Most colleges with a high population of Mormon students have an institute program. The church gets a building or classroom space near campus and a professional teacher to hold classes. It is much like the "seminary" program for high school students.

When critics complain that the institute program failed, they are saying that it failed to teach meat and also keep people in the church. One way it fails is that bores students to death with the same old stuff they hear week after week at church on Sunday. And college students have many other time commitments. They need to study so they can pass their real classes and graduate, and socializing with friends is much more fun and perhaps more useful than institute. Institute also fails if it teaches meat because then a lot of college students become troubled and eventually leave the church.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 10, 2016 09:33AM

the Meat of Christ's gospel (as advertised) is Love for God & neighbor; Kindness, Honesty, Respect & closely related principles-values.

Since LDS Inc. can't patent or trade-mark those, they're not on TSCC's menu.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: January 10, 2016 09:34AM

The term "milk before meat" for a Mormon really means, "Don't tell them the weird things that we believe or do."

They tell you that they're just Christians.

But they might not tell you that they believe they will be like God someday and will be in charge of their own planets, being a god for the people on them.

They might not admit that children living with gay parents cannot be baptized until they are 18, at which time they must also disavow their parents' relationship.

They might not tell you that Joseph Smith taught that there were men living on the Moon, who were very tall and looked like Quakers.

The meat is the weird stuff, basically. The stuff they think that you don't need to know right off the bat, or it might scare you off from being baptized.

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: January 10, 2016 09:56AM

They're trying to do away with the meat. Many of the members who take their kids think the cojcolds is a mainstream protestant church where they can learn good values, like sharing and loving the lord.

They have never heard about the "meat".

The meat is a thorn in the brethren's sides. The meat causes them no end of problems and threatens their billions of dollars of income.

The missionaries don't know about the meat either. All they need to know is that everyone in the world should join this church, and once they find out about how wonderful it is, they will!

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: January 10, 2016 10:15AM

Powdered milk before baloney.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: January 10, 2016 11:45AM

I was fed "milk" my first 19 years growing up a TBM.
When I finally got to the "meat" (on my own), it disgusted me, and that's what got me to leave. Adam-God, blacks will be servants in the CK, Joseph screwing 14 year olds, etc.

I love my steaks and burgers...but not mormon "meat." It's either rotten, or artificial (like TVP). :(

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: January 10, 2016 02:13PM

My meat is in my jeans!

The posts above mine amply explain why Mormons don't talk about the meat. If you want a scriptural example, read the LDS D&C Section 132. Read carefully about the way polygamous marriage is described. Then try explaining it to someone. That's the meat. Mormons will give you the milk--families can be forever. The Boner.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2016 02:20PM by byuboner.

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: January 10, 2016 03:06PM

... is not something the Mormon church embraces, despite its rhetoric. And he correctly observed that "... a diet of milk alone will stunt the growth of, if not kill, any child."

(D. Michael Quinn. Talk before the Mormon Historical Association. Brigham Young University. 4th November 1981)

http://www.lds-mormon.com/sepsix.shtml

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: January 10, 2016 03:27PM

The milk is correlation.
The meat is the inconvenient truth they hide.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2016 03:28PM by madalice.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 10, 2016 05:51PM

The Meat was thick and juicy back in seminary in the late 50s and early 60s. I know we would get into incredible side bar discussions. Here's a partial list of things I remember discussing that are totally, TOTALLY, off the plate today:

Intelligence: too bad we didn't know about Dark Energy and Dark Matter back then... 'Intelligence' is an eternal substance that has always existed. Mr. & Mrs. ghawd hump like bunnies which for ghawds involves organizing this eternal intelligence into a spirit child. Elohim has done this, what?, 100 billion times? Intelligence is matter, but it's such a fine, or pure, matter that gross physical humans can't detect it. So the spirit body inside your physical body floats in just before you're born (or when the heart starts beating, etc. theories) and leaves your body when you die.

Paradise and Spirit Prison: when your spirit leaves your body, it goes to one of these two places. Those going to Paradise recognize that they are there because they're mormons (or died under the age of 8) and those going to Spirit Prison don't realize anything unusual has happened. Atheists like me will pass on to Spirit Prison and realize, hey!, there is an after life, but it won't be a situation that makes it clear that what I knew as a mormon is correct. Missionaries from Paradise will visit me, but the same attitude I had when I died will still be in ascendance and I'll reject the missionaries, just like I do now.

The Second Coming: All the crap listed in Revelations happens and Jesus comes to reign in Zion, but the nations of the world, populated by 'good' people not burnt as stubble, won't recognize him as their messiah. There will not be any miraculous, over night conversion of all the world. There will be peace for 1000 years, during which all the temple work for the righteous saints being resurrected right and left, will be done. Children who died before the age of 8, who go to Paradise in their adult spirit bodies, are resurrected at the age they died and their moms and dads get the joy of potty training them, or whatever. And then there's the tedium involved in assigning out all the righteous babes to the relatively few righteous dudes. Lots of sealings to perform, lots of secret names for the guys to learn.

Eternal Progression: After the millennium is over and Satan makes the mistake of attacking Russia, and is vanquished, we all go to our kingdoms. Earth then receives it's glory and is transformed into a big crystal ball, aka Urim & Thumbing(sic), aka seer stone, where student ghawds come to study; i.e., trade school. Only the ghawds in training and their attendant women will have sexual organs, big ones!

Glory: This is coin of the realm. This is what distinguishes the ghawds. See, if you have two ghawd studs, with perfect bodies, perfect knowledge of the past, present and future, who both know what every sparrow in the forest is doing at every instant, how do you tell who is 'better'? It's Glory that spells the difference. That's what Lucifer was doing when he said, "I'll bring them all back and I'll take the glory." Naturally, Elohim, wanting the starter at the club to give him better starting times, took Jesus' offer. Somewhere there is a Prime ghawd, with more glory than any other ghawd, and just like in an MLM, he keeps getting more, and no other ghawd is ever going to supplant him.

Time obviously hung heavy for the patriarchs who were making this shit up...

And it's my understanding none of this is discussed in meetings these days. Because none of this matter, compared to pay, pray and obey.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: January 10, 2016 06:05PM

The Brethren caution the membership not to delve into deeper
doctrines of the gospel, but to concentrate on the fundamentals
while remembering that, "obedience is the first principle of
Heaven." We wish the members to feast upon the milk of the
Gospel while leaving the meat alone. As the Savior said, we
must become as little children to enter the Kingdom of God, and
what better way than to limit our diet to milk.

Posted by: evergreen ( )
Date: January 10, 2016 06:10PM

Meat not taught before the dunking is the full 10% shakedown every year based on gross.

Posted by: Zeezromp ( )
Date: January 10, 2016 06:18PM

The only 'meat' I got volunteered to me was Pay Tithe!

It got ridiculous the amount of times I was testified to that Tithe will mean more money coming my way! I suggested they let me see a recent annual report and accounts first then.

That never happened so my Tithe never happened though I do now regret paying the other stuff, fasts, humanitarian etc, knowing now what I know about how wealthy the church really is and how they didn't really need any of my money after all.

I did also however (reluctantly by missionaries) get the blacks less valiant 'meat' and a ward member further helped me understand that eternal truth with books written by Joseph Fielding Smith. That gave me sleepless nights, trying to comprehend what I had been told was truth restored.

Apparently it now turns out to be 'fake meat' according to the essays. A case of LDS food poisoning.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 10, 2016 10:44PM

the meat is maggot infested and rotten.

Posted by: goatsgotohell ( )
Date: January 11, 2016 12:43PM

Milk before meat is what ultimately shoved me out of the church. I converted (pre-internet, the gospel provided some answers and band-aids for concerns I had). As I matured, I had questions, most of them quite simple extensions from an Institute class or Sunday School reading. I was always told that I was digging too deep, didn't have the Testimony foundation, needed to focus on the Milk before meat. I felt like I was the one with the problem. Why didn't I have the Faith to see the gospel simply? Why wasn't my bosom burning?
It used to piss me off that lesson books insisted you didn't need to look any further than the guide or the scriptures for answers but then there would be all these questions that neither addressed. I finally figured out that the fault did not lie with me, that the beef was out there and all the milk in the world would not make it palatable. To be a True Believer requires you to be a vegetarian!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.