Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Lori C ( )
Date: January 10, 2016 11:58PM

https://www.lds.org/broadcasts/watch/worldwide-devotional/2016/01?lang=eng

Start at the 40 minute mark.

This is NOT the church of my youth. This is nothing I am familiar with. I realize the church has always been horrid, it's past, it's lies, but in the 70's there was some culture, some community....it's over now. It's all over.

THIS IS SICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THIS WAS NOT what I told people in my mission. I just feel sick to my stomach that gave 1.5 years of my life to try to get people to join this horrible, gay hating, woman hating, child hating, black hating church! I'm disgusted!

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: January 10, 2016 11:59PM

Posted by: TJC ( )
Date: January 13, 2016 10:08AM

At least we know who Supreme Leader Snoke is.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: January 11, 2016 12:00AM

A popular Latter-day Saint? Isn't that an oxymoron?

Posted by: zenjamin ( )
Date: January 11, 2016 12:09AM

Remarkable how GA's consistently appear deceased.

Perhaps it's the eyes.

Date: January 11, 2016 12:10AM

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: January 12, 2016 08:56AM

It's ridiculous that their leadership is dominated by people born before WWII. That's why they are so stuck in mid-20th C thinking.

Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: January 11, 2016 12:14AM

I don't think he realizes this: It was never popular to be a Latter-Day Saint!!

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: January 12, 2016 01:01AM

That's exactly what I was thinking.

Posted by: Shinehahbeam ( )
Date: January 12, 2016 11:10AM

Yep. I didn't dare tell friends I was a Mormon when I was growing up. The church was a joke 30 years ago, and it's still a joke today. Except today, many non-members know more about the church's history than the members.

Posted by: TDM ( )
Date: January 12, 2016 11:19AM

I was about to say this. My entire life mormons have been viewed as weird, stupid, etc, and that was difficult for me when I was a TBM at school.

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: January 12, 2016 02:41PM

I wasn't ever proud to say I was mormon. I was reluctant to do so because deep down I knew the faith had a BS story I just never acted on it and researched it in the early years.

Posted by: schmendrick ( )
Date: January 11, 2016 05:40AM

He's just trying to get in front of it so people can confirm the mothership has prophetic powers.

Posted by: L Tom Petty ( )
Date: January 11, 2016 06:13AM

Sad that a respectable heart surgeon has devolved into a devilish close-minded cult leader...I think he expects to take over for the Monson soon. He's no profit that's for sure. But he does try to play one.

Posted by: Myron Donnerbalken ( )
Date: January 11, 2016 06:39AM

Golly. In my day, the calamities of the world were going to cause people to seek out shelter with the Latter-day Saints. Nations would turn to us for answers. Everyone would want to be a Mormon.

God sure is some fickle God.

Posted by: Elder What's-his-face ( )
Date: January 11, 2016 11:38AM

That was before the church told him to give them hurtful commandments to follow.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: January 11, 2016 11:42AM

One correction .... it may have been popular if you lived in Utah, but elsewhere it was NOT POPULAR. My friends were so
relieved when I finally left that they threw me a party. They
thought it was sooooooo weird. They were right.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: January 11, 2016 11:19PM

I was the only Mormon in my school, and it was social death to tell anyone I was a Mormon. Mormonism was a weird religion full of inbred oversexed country folk as far as they were concerned.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: January 12, 2016 01:03AM

saucie - I just got a letter today from an old BYU roommate who never was Mormon and never fell for the crap they teach about Mormonism in Provo. I told her I wasn't Mormon any more in a previous letter and her response was "I literally fell to my knees and said a prayer of gratitude that you got yourself out of that mess." And she would know better than anyone, after spending 4 years as a non-Mormon at BYU, what a big mess it truly is.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: January 12, 2016 01:28PM

Exactly... I guess people who live in Utah think its "speechul" to be a mormon and makes you popular? Not So. God they are so insulated there.

Posted by: Oregonboy ( )
Date: January 11, 2016 11:54AM

Wow...you must be QUALIFIED in order to receive answers from Heavenly Father...this is such crap. So you must be perfect in order to hear from the Lord...lol

This should be called: Worldwide Delusional for Young Adults

Posted by: the1v ( )
Date: January 11, 2016 11:58AM

My favorite verse from the book of mormon is "men are, that they might have joy"

Too bad the TSCC does everything possible to make this impossible.

How can they claim to be all about joy when they constantly bring pain and grief?

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: January 12, 2016 11:04AM

That's for sure. They have sucked any and all joy out of mormonism that might have once been there. It's not a church of people anymore. It's a cult of rules. Sure you will get joy and satisfacton out of following Jesus Christ (you know, in living the kind of life he taught about in the Bible). But you don't need mormonism to follow Christ. In fact, you don't even need religion or a Bible.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 12, 2016 09:40PM

I would quote this verse to young single ladies named Joy, while waggling my eye brows like a feverish Groucho Marx.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: January 11, 2016 11:03PM

I don't think I can watch it Lori, but I'm with you all the while; I feel ya'; I believe you - I'll take your word for it - I know it's true... for it comes from you!

I'm just glad we're not all going down the drain with it.

M@t

Date: January 12, 2016 12:15AM

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: January 11, 2016 11:15PM

What was the ghist of it?

It says video unavailable- check back later.

the1v- (JOY)... yea, hajaaahAajja - too bad liars, leaders, fools.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: January 12, 2016 01:08AM

He looks just like a snake oil salesman!

Why do Mormons always have to keep "strengthening" their testimonies, their faith, and their dedication. All my friends in other churches have arrived. Mormons never seem to arrive at full faith. My friends in other religions just know they believe and can get on with loving others and serving without constantly worrying about losing their own faith.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: January 12, 2016 02:30AM

Attempt to sell the youth the plan once more Elder Nelson. Tell them that as "True Millennials" they are some of the very best gawd has to offer and were chosen to come down to the earth in this the "last" dispensation to obey, pray, and never forget, to pay. Then hammer and hammer and hammer some more what these 'speshal' youth need to do to be of use to the church and to gawd, throwing in a few new stories and maybe, even, a tiny bit of humor to attempt to get their point across this time.

Wouldn't you think that these elder men would be embarrassed to be spouting the same old yet again? It is always the same rerun being shown.

I'd love to see the youth walk out singing, "Not again, not again. Can't take another rerun."

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: January 12, 2016 02:55AM

"Some people you thought were your friends will betray you!"

That's us.

Changing or leaving religions does not qualify as "betraying our friends."

This is propaganda being fed our Mormon friends and family members. What a hateful lie!

Posted by: The Ohio State ( )
Date: January 12, 2016 01:48PM

Breeze Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "Some people you thought were your friends will
> betray you!"
>
> That's us.
>
> Changing or leaving religions does not qualify as
> "betraying our friends."
>
> This is propaganda being fed our Mormon friends
> and family members. What a hateful lie!

This is blaming the victim for what the perpetrator has done. The only betraying going on is in the form of the endless lies being spread by the leadership to keep the money flowing in.

Posted by: sherlock ( )
Date: January 12, 2016 03:09PM

"Some people you thought were your friends will betray you!"

Oh the irony. That's exactly how many of us felt about TSCC when we realised they'd been promulgating lies.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: January 12, 2016 01:01PM

Amazing how he can say the most horrible things and then flash his smirky, big tooth grin right after. Like that makes it all fine to say out loud.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: January 12, 2016 02:00PM

I think he's one of the "dark distractions of the world."

Posted by: lapsed ( )
Date: January 13, 2016 10:01AM

It has never been popular. What planet is he from?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.