Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: tedd ( )
Date: January 20, 2016 03:24AM

Family members first names are in asterisk

Hello family,

Please feel free to forward this email to anyone you please.

As many of you many have figured out, I am not one for family holiday gatherings and such, as I don't like a consumer society telling me when I should and shouldn't be getting together with family and giving pointless, plastic presents that are wrapped in dead tree carcass and plastic bows that are immediately disposed of. A Holiday that cultivates millions of fir trees for their immediate demise. Presents that are probably going to break in 2 weeks anyways and end up in the trash, then polluting the ocean, killing off sea life or rotting away in a Land Fill (and never biodegrading, btw). Not to mention a society that is only 5% of the world's population and consumes 24% of the world's energy (mostly lame, dirty, air polluting, non-progressive energy I might add) and 1/3rd of the world's other resources. Another fun statistic is we have 25% of the world’s prisoners as 5% of the population, most of which are nonwhite (Just throwing that one out there for fun). Not to mention we waste damn near 1/2 of all the food we produce in America (I think it’s like 96,000,000,000 lbs. of food goes IN THE TRASH per year), yet the majority claim to be Christian of some type, yet there are starving and homeless people everywhere. So coming from that perspective I'm sure you can understand the bad taste in my mouth concerning holiday(s) (with multiple pagan traditions, btw) that claim to be about Jesus, especially since the Jesus depicted in the Bible is a man who indeed championed the poor. I guess the ideal Christian in my mind is something far different than the typical American. And being that there are so many homeless in this world, I don’t find it justifiable that the Mormon/LDS church build’s giant super malls in Salt Lake City, when Time Magazine estimated the church has 30 billion in assets in 1996 and spent 7 million on Prop. 8 fighting gay marriage. I really believe all churches/religions need to spend less time worrying about what consenting adults are doing in the privacy of their own homes, and more time worrying about a segregated and uncultured humanity, and should really start worrying about issues of REALITY.

I indeed do not consider myself a Christian by American conventional standards especially, not by title for sure, but in many respects "morally" (whatever the hell that means?).

As some of you may know (Or not) 2 or 3 years ago I had my name taken off the records of the Mormon Church. The reason it took me so long to do so is because, I guess I figured since I do not believe documentation from a church or government has anything to do with two people's love life, I.e. a Marriage certificate. Therefore my name being on the records of the church was meaningless in my mind for 15+ years of my post Mormon belief systems. Its because I have a major disrespect and flat out rebellion towards pointless paper work and bureaucracy, a piece of paper cannot tell you who you are or who you love, nor can it bind one’s love. You love because you love, not because it’s on a piece of paper or inside some stupid computer inside a church. SO I just let my name stay on the records as I knew where my heart lied, and it’s definitely not with the LDS church by any stretch of the imagination. It doesn’t matter how many times someone may put my name in the temple, pray for me, have faith in my return to the church, hope till the end of time, bare their testimony, what have you.

I do indeed avoid family phone calls, it’s true. I only take them when I feel I am ready for them or many times when Briauna is past due on her family visitation.
Yes ****, I did call you the other day, it wasn’t a pocket call.

And to be perfectly honest I finally took my name off the records because **** and I had a fight one time, and he yelled: "You know it’s true! You know it’s true!" Concerning the church. And please ****, do NOT blame yourself for this, as it was only inevitable for me to have my name taken off the records sooner or later. And if you tell your bishop shit about this, I swear I'll kick your ass, it’s none of his business! LOL... Your Bishop is not a trained professional on **** Hirsch! What a joke! That was when it struck me that I absolutely have to have my name taken off the records of the Mormon church, because that's just one more number the church can boast about when I am in no way a part of this organization or lifestyle, I am entirely detached.

I had a great time at the ******* Hirsch family memorial, if you can make it next time ***** and *******, I recommend going. Not sure what these pointless family disputes are all about. But the church talks about families being together forever, but you guys can’t even forgive each other over lame-ass, immature stuff for years and years at a time. LOL… Good luck with that one guys.

Anyways, my friend Emily (Also a former Mormon, who came with me to father’s memorial) was very impressed with how spiritual my family is and was very moved by the things she said and she was very complimentary towards all of you. And being that I come from your DNA, I was very moved by her comments.

My time with Emily and our vast and endless conversation (She is seriously like my sister) was when I realized that I am not in agreement with the conventional, conservative, conformist religious side of any of you. But I am 1000% in agreement with you seeking meaning and spirituality to life and the trying to pin point the anomaly that is consciousness and existence, in an endless, unexplainable universe.

Its ok to not have all the answers to the universe, human evolution has not even began to scratch the surface.

So I bid adieu to you all for now,

Theodore Jerome Hirsch (the first and one and only.)

P.S.S. You have now read chapter 169 of “The Book of Theo”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2016 04:01PM by Susan I/S.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 20, 2016 07:54AM

Fun read, Tedd, thanks!

Always fun meeting another iconoclast! Say "hi" to Emily for me.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: January 20, 2016 07:54PM

Hi Ted.... nice to see you. It's been a while.

Date: January 21, 2016 12:34AM

Hi saucie

Date: January 21, 2016 12:34AM

You Got it ElderOldDog! Thanks

Posted by: danr ( )
Date: January 20, 2016 09:28AM

That is probably the most interesting description of a family Christmas I have ever heard. I doubt you will ever worry about them inviting you to celebrate with them again :) .

Date: January 21, 2016 12:35AM

Haha, yeah... Thanks

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: January 20, 2016 10:47AM

I love it. I have sent a letter putting all the cards on the table like that--not to all the family, just to one over the top TBM brother. I got no response. No surprise. The Holy Ghost probably intervened and inspired him to not even read it.

It made me feel so good to do it. It was like finishing a book and then looking for something else to read.

I would love to hear what happens. I really and truly loved reading your letter.

Date: January 21, 2016 12:37AM

Actually blueorchid, I have received responses from my mom, one of my brothers and my little sister.

You guys want their responses? lol

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: January 22, 2016 03:48PM

Yes. Love to hear them.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: January 20, 2016 01:20PM

Hi Tedd! Haven't seen you for a while.

Your letter is definitely food for thought. I have to say, I'm tired of the consumerism of Christmas. Every year I think I want to cut back, but haven't done it yet.

Date: January 21, 2016 12:38AM

I gave things around the house for Christmas this year, I bought nothing... And I didn't murder any animals either haha

Posted by: hello nli ( )
Date: January 23, 2016 05:34AM

tedd Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I gave things around the house for Christmas this
> year, I bought nothing... And I didn't murder any
> animals either haha

I'm not a Christian, but DW is tbm (altho she just last week turned down a stake calling from our High Councilman, yay!), but Xmas has slowly reduced around our house to a few lights, some on a living potted Norfolk pine, and some nice food. Kinda like Thanksgiving. Like you, and with help from the primary cook, DW) I killed no animals, nor ate nor drank their mammary secretions or ova. Nor did I give any present but love to those I was with. And DW even asked me to say a non-denom prayer, and didn't criticize me for not using Mormon memes or folklore in it. We had a great time!

Date: January 21, 2016 12:38AM

So do you guys want me to post their responses here? haha lol

Is that mean?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 21, 2016 01:00AM

Yes, I would love to be entertained by their responses!!

As for whether it's 'mean' or not, I'll leave that to one of my favorite quote writers:

"One man's 'mean' is another man's mustard! Pungency is in the mouth of the beholder. And soon ye will be deade; deade and blistered!"
--Judic West, Earl of Bollocks (1744-1802)

Date: January 21, 2016 03:33AM

Word

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: January 21, 2016 12:58AM

go beat yourself three times with your stick. NO POLITICS!!!! You will have to mail me and catch me up soon. You need an eye on you!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2016 03:40AM by Susan I/S.

Date: January 21, 2016 03:34AM

I was just cutting and copying, it was an honest mistake. I know the rules around here, I have broke all of them more than anyone lol

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: January 21, 2016 03:41AM

You know how much you like the stick! And I do mean it about catching up :) You are a ... special case ; P

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: January 21, 2016 01:12AM

Hello Ted!
I suppose your family expected nothing less than what you sent! :-)They know you like no one else, I presume.
Hope you are doing well. Nice to see ya!

Date: January 21, 2016 03:36AM

Dear SusieQ#1,

I don't think the rabbit hole that is myself is in the cards for their reality lol

I am such a boasting prick lol

Some things Never changes, I guess

How you doing Susie?

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: January 22, 2016 03:30PM

Hi Ted! Yup. You've got your own "rabbit hole" !!
I'm doing fine. Three yrs now since my husband passed.
Family and friends all very supportive!
Keep on keeping on Ted!
(Oldest son is at NAMM in Anaheim, CA for a few days with his Lava Cable business! Of course, they are the best in the business! :-)

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: January 22, 2016 04:04PM

"Give it to me straight Doc!"

And so you did.

Posted by: msmom ( )
Date: January 23, 2016 08:31AM

I wonder what I would have said way way back in the day. Even then I would have had to admit you made some valid points. But then, that's probably why I left.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.