Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: April 23, 2011 01:18PM

If you're thinking about running away, are a runaway, afraid you're going to be kicked out, or you have been kicked out, there are places that will help you stay off the street.

**If you visit any of these sites from a home computer, your browsing might be monitored by someone in your home even if you erase your browsing history. Either call the number listed (block your number first) or use a public computer**

*****ETA: If you're using a cell phone on a shared plan, your calls may also be monitored if you're a minor. Best to use a pay phone if they still exist in your area.*****

http://www.1800runaway.org/ 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) 24/7/365 - they can help you before a situation gets to the point that you run away from home or are kicked out. Free, anonymous, and confidential, they'll also help get you home.

"The National Runaway Switchboard has access to more than 16,000 resources throughout the country, several where you are located right now, such as support groups, counseling and drug treatment centers, and youth shelters. We also have a wealth of information regarding legal issues and medical concerns. Call us and we’ll get you the help you need."

National Domestic Violence hotline: 1−800−799−SAFE(7233) or TTY 1−800−787−3224. Anonymous and confidential. http://www.thehotline.org/

***(Very good people here)*** California Coalition for Youth (yes, they're in CA, but they partner with other states): 1-800-843-5200 http://www.calyouth.org/resources-2/ and http://www.youthcrisisline.org/

I *think* the Volunteers of America Homeless Youth program in Utah/Homeless Youth Resource Center is run by TSCC. I haven't found a secular one in Utah yet, but I'm looking...

Utah Pride Center (no, you don't have to be LGBTQ for help) Toll-Free: 888.874.2743 http://www.utahpridecenter.org/resources/search-directory?sobi2Task=search I'm pretty sure they're not associated with TSCC, but double check.

These are just some starting points. I was kicked out too many times to count only to be beaten when I tried to leave, and I was also a runaway. I understand what it's like when you feel like home isn't a home, and you'd rather try your luck on the streets. I also know how dangerous the streets are, so let's keep you off them, okay?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2011 01:30PM by Beth.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: sukiyhtaky ( )
Date: April 23, 2011 05:34PM

:) Great post Beth. Dial 211 in most cities as well for local resources available.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: April 23, 2011 05:34PM

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: April 23, 2011 07:29PM

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 23, 2011 11:47PM

When I lived in NYC I used to give runaways subway tokens along with the address of a charitable organization there that helped runaway kids. I wish I could remember the name of it.

Posted by: reinventinggrace ( )
Date: April 25, 2011 04:27AM

"is run by TSCC"

Note that TSCC is a term for the LDS church on this bulletin board -- "The So-Called Church"

RG

Posted by: nolongerin ( )
Date: April 25, 2011 10:58AM

Beth, I just made a recommendation to admin that resources for minors be included as a permanent post at the top of the board. Don't know if this fits within the board policies, but we have had so many minors posting lately, and your resource list seems like it would be very helpful.

Posted by: exmollymo ( )
Date: April 25, 2011 03:54PM

Topping it again

Posted by: Little nevermo ( )
Date: April 25, 2011 04:19PM

All of us with children have stated (or at least agreed in thought) our disdain for church members that have communicated or attempted to communicate with our children away from us in order to continue or initiate a relationship with the church. It is very important that we don't overstep our own boundaries in dealing with other people's children. Minors should always be encouraged to work out issues with their parents/families FIRST in non-abusive environments. Interfering in familial relationships where children may just strongly disagree with their parents and aren't in danger is inappropriate.

That's all.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: April 25, 2011 06:07PM

The people who work with these organizations will also help children and their families *before* things get out of hand and a kid ends up homeless. That's the ideal result.

Sadly, things don't always work out ideally, and despite what we think, wish, and hope, many, many kids end up homeless even if they aren't being physically abused. Psychological and emotional abuse take a huge toll on adults as well as on children, and what many outsiders might see as a minor disagreement or something a kid can wait out doesn't always seem that way to the kid. Perception on the child and parent(s)' ends is key.

So, I'm not advocating anybody leave home *or* stay. I'm just saying that there is help out there for kids who end up homeless, whatever the reason.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2011 12:02AM by Beth.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.