Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: intellectualfeminist ( )
Date: April 23, 2011 01:33PM

LDS Living has an article, briefly summed up:

Mission activities in the Ivory Coast have been suspended because of political unrest and widespread violence in the country. More than 135,000 Ivorians have crossed into Liberia, more than 7,000 into Ghana, and more than 2,000 into Togo. Relief organizations have set up refugee camps in border areas.

There are no reports of deaths or injuries among members, according to a Church welfare report. Many member families have abandoned their homes, taking refuge in rural villages or fleeing to Ghana, Liberia, Benin or Togo. Those who have reached locations where there is a Church presence are being attended to by local leaders and members.

I don't know how exactly these refugees will be "attended to by local leaders and members" under the circumstances. As for LD$ Inc, clearly the harvesting season there is done. And what has it gained them, eh?? What a waste.........

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: April 23, 2011 01:45PM

Posted by: another guy ( )
Date: April 23, 2011 01:46PM

When my son decided to go on a mission (about 9 – 10 years ago), they originally wanted to send him to the Ivory Coast. I did a bit of checking, and found that the country was in turmoil, riots, policemen dragged out of their cars and murdered, etc. I was upset. When I talked with other members about this, they said, “The lord will protect him, don’t worry. He’ll be OK.” I worried anyway. I talked to him and others, asking that he decline this assignment, and ask for another. They all laughed at me. I even researched and called the mission president there in the Ivory Coast, and I expressed my apprehension about my son’s safety. He started off by being impatient and dismissing me, but he soon calmed down and explained some of their security procedures (which weren’t very good, BTW).

After he entered the MTC, my son was unable to learn and master the French language. After two weeks there, he asked the MTC people to let him go home. They sent him to a mission in East LA the next morning.

Posted by: fishsticklama ( )
Date: April 23, 2011 01:48PM

So when beneficial events occur in a country and the church has been praying for those changes, the church is true.

Uhhhm. Is the church still true even though the prayers of all those faithful saints of the Ivory coast are left unanswered?

Posted by: deb ( )
Date: April 23, 2011 01:48PM

IF requesting to go home, he should have been allowed to go back home. It's not as if you "enlist" under "contract" and you would be considered AWOL

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.