Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anne97 ( )
Date: January 25, 2016 05:07AM

Hi guys
So I am a young woman in her 20s I came across these Mormon missionaries and they said that I could come down to the LDS church I was not raised LDS but I'm really nervous about the whole thing and the meeting can someone tell me other things about the LDS church that are a negative? Or at least discuss their experiences I am reading the bulletin board and it looks kind of frightening especially the accounts But I guess I would rather know the truth Becauss this is a big step and I have a funny feeling I'm either going to make the right decision or regret this for the rest of my life without some concrete knowledge about the religion as well as the negatives Thank you!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anonuk ( )
Date: January 25, 2016 05:27AM

as a convert, you will never be considered 'good/righteous/worthy enough' to marry a BIC RM (born in church returned missionary). If you do marry an RM, born in church or not, any problems in your marriage will be considered your fault since you 'do not understand' because you were not raised in the religion and he holds the 'priesthood' and all godly authority in your marriage.

This is just one way you will be discriminated against for the rest of your life as a church member by church members.

Date: January 28, 2016 01:52AM

I thought the point of the Mormon church was to convert others. So what your trying to say to put this politely is that women are not worthy in the Mormon church since there converts? How does that make sense especially since they are willing to change there belief and value system?

Thanks for your insight. I think you answered the question for me

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: January 25, 2016 05:36AM

Hello, anne97 and welcome to the RfM board!

The board is usually pretty quiet at this time of day, but I'm sure you'll start getting plenty of feedback over the next few hours. In the meantime, I recommend you start by reading this page (it was been been put together by one of this board's respected participants, Richard Packham, and I can vouch for its accuracy.):

http://home.teleport.com/~packham/tract.htm

Whatever decision you make about the Mormon church, remember that you don't need to do it right away. The missionaries will probably pressure you into a quick baptism, and they can be very persuasive. But do your own research first. And, by the way, the missionaries will try to convince you that anything that speaks against Mormon church is a lie, from Satan, and/or made up by angry ex-Mormons and "enemies of God's church." The missionaries are wrong and probably don't even know what the facts really are, because they're afraid to do the research, most having been taught all their lives that the Mormon church is the source of all important truth!

One more point: the Mormons you meet will be very, very nice to you. The missionaries are nice, the other church members are nice. All are so NICE--especially to someone they believe has interest in joining their church (like you!). Don't allow yourself to be taken in by their niceness. Even though Mormons are nice, their religion isn't. That's why you should study and learn as much about it as you can before you make any decision.

Anyway, I can't stick around, but good luck as you deal with this situation and seek the truth!

: )

Date: January 28, 2016 01:54AM

Thank you so much for that beautiful response! I am more nervous then ever before. They wanted to baptize me by the end of this month so its making me a little nervous. I guess I want to join because I want to belong to something important. I want to be accepted but I had no idea that it was going to be like this. Thank you so much.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 25, 2016 06:10AM

Have you ever felt really "good" about something, where your chest swelled with pride and you were suffused with joy? Like when your favorite team wins a hard fought game, or listening to really great music, or feeling patriotic?

The missionaries are going to try to manipulate you into feeling that way and they're going to tell you it's "the spirit"! The key word is manipulate.

There are two whoppers they need for you to swallow, via this manipulation:

1. Joseph Smith was a prophet

2. The Book of Mormon is of divine origin.

Neither "fact" is true. But they will do all they can to get you to "feel" that they are true.

Look up "cult" and compare the definition with what you find out about the mormon church. And think about paying 10‰ of your income for the rest of your life, and cleaning the church toilets for the rest of your life...

Date: January 28, 2016 01:56AM

Hey!
Thank you so much for your response. Its funny you say that because they really built up my pride and confidence so far the missionaries. And I actually felt kind of like they thought I was important or special. They keep saying they can't get enough of how sweet I am. Maybe thats a bad thing.

Posted by: Agnes Broomhead ( )
Date: January 25, 2016 06:22AM

Put it this way.
They'll never kill you. Nor do they hold you hostage like the Scientologists sometimes do.
Anything and everything else considered "negative", they do.
If you are mentally strong, resistant to mind-control techniques, you can survive. Otherwise, prepare for this to happen to you:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuSsSwg9MXs
If they do a good job on you you'll be enrolled at MTC and soon you'll be on the streets in no time, ready to preach the Gospel! Pretty cool, huh? ;)
Take it from someone who's seen and heard peculiar emotions on the faces and voices of many an early-20something. We don't know you, so the decision is yours.
This cult is all about intimidation and mental manipulations.
ARE YOU MENTALLY TOUGH?

Date: January 28, 2016 02:01AM

Hi Agnes
Thanks for the message and the response. That kind of resonated with me. I think I want to join the LDS church because I want to belong to something and be closer to God if that makes sense. Because you know sometimes your faith is so special and you just want to spread joy and happiness to other people. But I had no idea about the manipulations. Because everything everyone is saying they have done and that kind of scares me.

I think my parents want whats best for me as well. They want to be safe and happy. So yeah its interesting all of these comments. Because there starting to make sense and make me feel kind of sad but realizing that maybe I should either look more into this or run.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: January 25, 2016 06:22AM

Then they'll gradually back off on the positive reinforcement as they drain your time, energy, money and self confidence.

This organization is highly controlling and is founded on racism, sexism, and homophobia. The doctrine is laughable and based on lies and polygamous roots. Mormon men still plan to be gods of planets and rule over many wives and multitudes of children.

I suggest you seek out a more Christian mainstream church without all of the weird beliefs and dictatorial rules over underwear and personal choice.

Being governed by this church means you'll need recovery time and effort to find yourself if and when you get a gut full.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 25, 2016 06:34AM

Anne, you don't want to have anything to do with Mormonism. It is a highly controlling religion similar to the JWs. The church wants to control what you wear, what you drink, what movies you watch, how you spend your time and money, and even what underwear you put on!

Mormon temple garments (underwear): https://awaypoint.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/mormon-underwear-two-piece.jpg

Look at it this way, would you join the JWs, the Scientologists, or the Moonies just because they knocked on your door or tried to sell you on their church? NO! Don't join up just because the Mormons were the first to ask!

The church's founder, Joseph Smith, was a con artist and a womanizer. I'm sure that you've heard of polygamy. Joseph "married" more than 30 girls and women just so that he could have his way with them. Eleven of the girls were teenagers, some as young as 14 and 15 (this was in an age, when according to NIH-approved data, girls did not marry for the first time on average until they were almost 23.) Joseph also "married" other men's wives! In some cases he would send the men off on a mission and then "marry" that man's wife. Nice, huh?

http://wivesofjosephsmith.org/

The missionaries will tell you about Joseph Smith's "First Vision" in which he saw both Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. The only trouble is, Joseph told that story multiple times, and the tellings differ wildly. Learn about that and more at these websites:

http://mormonthink.com/

The home site for this message board also has tons of resources for you to read. Look under the "Short Topics."

http://exmormon.org/

I know that the Mormon missionaries are likely good-looking, charming, and persuasive. They have been trained to present the church in the best possible light. They have a saying, "milk before meat." That means that they will present the most attractive aspects of the church long before you learn about the not-so-nice things. But this is not a church with which you want to get involved. If you think that a church community might be a good thing for you, look into the mainstream denominations such as the ELCA Lutherans, the Episcopalians, the Methodists, the Presbyterians, etc. None of these churches will try to put the clamps down on you like the Mormons will.

Keep reading this message board. You have much to learn. Feel free to ask any questions that you might have.

Posted by: Myron Donnerbalken ( )
Date: January 25, 2016 06:54AM

We are a real eclectic sort on Recovery from Mormonism. You will receive all kinds of answers ranging from helpful and well thought-out responses to smart-ass cynicism. And all are likely true. We've all been hurt by the church in one way or another, and some of use worse than others.

If I had input on this, it would be that Mormons, particularly teenage Mormon missionaries, don't know jack-diddly about their own religion. That's important in Mormonism; the less you know, the more likely you are to stay in and be involved and pay the money. Reading about the actual doctrines and the true history of Mormon origins is virtually forbidden in the church. Those of us here either wanted to know more and saw the man behind the curtain (there are some good Wizard of Oz metaphors in Mormonism), or because we were injured in some fundamental way, thanks of our membership in what turns out to be a cult. Mormonism is actually just Scientology Lite.

The missionaries will appear very nice, and probably are very nice. They are absolutely desperate to baptise you or anyone into Mormonism, and they will take any shortcut and make any compromise to do so if for no other reason than to get their mission president (the sales manager) off their backs. If they baptise you, you represent nothing more than a person who has purchased a unit--a car, an appliance, a mattress--and the sales manager will give them a bit of a break. But once you've purchased the Mormon product, there will be no customer service when your shoddily-made unit breaks down. Mormonism is a very poor product, indeed. No one can help you find out what you need, because no one knows. Literally, Mormons don't know their own religion, and have few, if any, answers to help you. So they will say, "Well, you just need to read your scriptures and pray." And they will add, "And you need to pay a full tithing." Because Mormon God does not have use for people who don't pay him money for their salvation. He is an angry god who is obsessed with money and is always pulling change out of his pocket, counting it to make sure it adds up. (Even before they allow you to be baptised, the missionaries will make you commit to paying tithing.)

If/when you go to church, you will also find that there are smatterings about Jesus and the Atonement, just enough to keep you confused and make you think that maybe it is, after all, a Christian religion. Do not be confused; Mormonism is about Joseph Smith, "the Prophet Joseph," "Joseph," "our dear Prophet, Joseph", or simply "the Prophet." "I know that Joseph Smith was a true prophet," they say. Now you repeat it: "I know that Joseph Smith was a true prophet." Now say it to yourself over and over for the rest of your natural life: "I know that Joseph Smith was a true prophet." Now say it publicly, from the pulpit during a talk or testimony: "I know that Joseph Smith was a true prophet." Doing this is more than good advice from other Mormons; self-indoctrination is the only way to keep it going. Otherwise, all the time you've put in and all the money you've put in the pot are for nothing, and that's damned scary. Mormons know that. So off they go, "I know that Joseph Smith was a true prophet," over and over ad nausaeum.

But here's how it is, really: Mormonism is demonstrably false. You or anyone can spend 15 minutes to an hour on your computer and conclude categorically that Mormonism is false, Joseph Smith was a womanizer and paedophile, and a dullard who dug for gold and money. Early leaders such as he and his successors saw the money and the sex and perpetuated it. Eventually, taking other men's wives got Smith and his brother and friend Parley P. Pratt killed. Mormons say they were "martyred." You'll have to decide yourself if they have not cheapened the word "martyr."

The LDS church has ceased to do anything for good in the world. Anything they may have done at times the past to make them seem caring, compassionate, and magnanimous are all gone. There are no redeeming qualities left in Mormonism, if there were indeed any to begin with. It has become a great corporation dealing mostly in real estate development and agribusiness, masking itself behind a shingle on the building that says "church."

Mostly, the LDS church has become a destroyer of souls and families. Don't be destroyed. Tell the missionaries you just aren't interested. If you want religion, there are many other congregations to choose from that aren't about real estate development and agribusiness.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: January 25, 2016 11:30PM

Succinct and true, every word.

Please note that no one is taught to repeat over and over anything about Jesus. Just about Joseph Smith and the present leaders.

That speaks volumes.

Kathleen

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: January 26, 2016 11:55AM

I have nine children.

I joined the church when I had four boys. I was single and needed help raising them. The missionaries described the boy scout program and other youth programs in glowing terms.

I was a member for 15 years, which ruined the lives of my four boys. I had five more children who were not raised in the church and they are fine.

When my children asked me what my biggest regret was, it was the day I decided to join the Mormon church. Children should not be behind a corporation in a claim for their parent's time and money. I often had three church jobs in addition to two jobs to support my family, plus going to school.

One of my boys was molested in boy scouts. I married a MOrmon, who turned out to be a child molester. No kidding the sexual repression in Mormonism creates perverts. Ultimately there was no undoing the damage - my eldest son hasn't spoken to me in years, his brother died years ago of a drug overdose. The next son is insane and the last is struggling with a daily-drinking alcoholism problem.

The entire "family" orientation is a fake. If a member leaves, like we have here on RFM, they are love-bombed and if they don't come back, they are shunned.

Worse yet, one of the temple questions family members are asked is if they "associate with" or "Sympathize with" apostates. Even if it is mother, or grandmother, members know that tolerance of an ex-Mormon, or even thought-crime in the form of sympathy can lose them a temple recommend.

Families may be "forever" but they are not important here on earth--only the church matters.

Best

Kathleen

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: January 25, 2016 07:01AM

Hi Anne,

As Ex members you can imagine that no one here has a good word to say about the church... you can take that into account

and many members will try to convince you that anything that doesnt agree with their current beliefs are 'lies'... and you can take that into account too

the trouble is, many of those members haven't done the research we have done - and they are ignorant of many of the things that we know. I kid you not. some members have denied, directly to me, that their founder, Joseph Smith was involved with polygamy!!

the internet has opened up many of the things that mormons used to keep buried. JS's polygamy, child brides and polyandry being some of them

the church has published several 'Essays' on various topics - topics that have only been brought to light since the internet opened things up. - Polygamy and Joseph Smith, Racism, the several different accounts of the first vision, etc

these essays are published by the mormon church, and yet, if you mention them to some mormons, they will still accuse you of being 'anti-mormon'

you can find them on the LDS.Org website, but here they are all in one easy to find resource http://mormonessays.com/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2016 07:04AM by EssexExMo.

Posted by: nevermonomo ( )
Date: January 25, 2016 08:19AM

Anne,

I'm just like you, a little older. That "really nervous" feeling is trying to protect you - those are your instincts trying to protect you. Listen to those feelings!

Have you ever had this same nervous feeling when you liked a young man, but he was moving too fast, and you didn't want to be pressured, but he pressured you anyway? Is that how you feel now?

If you don't tell these guys "No," do you have anyone around who will do that for you? Don't be afraid that they'll have hurt feelings - it's their job to get you baptised, and that's all they're after.

All you have to do is say that you've thought about it, and could never follow a religion that doesn't treat women equally to men. They may act pushy or disappointed, but after they leave, that nervous feeling will slowly turn into a feeling of being in control again.

Your control is what is being chipped away, and it's why your nervous now.

Posted by: Darren Steers ( )
Date: January 25, 2016 08:40AM

Lots of good advice so far.

I was a missionary once, we only had one goal in mind, to baptise people.

We used a two pronged approach, first we were super friendly and nice, second we were very persistent and pushy.

We were much more interested in the number of baptisms, than the people we actually baptised, and we'd say and do anything to get them baptised. Even tell a few small lies and deny things about our church that were uncomfortable.

As missionaries, we were mostly ignorant about the facts and evidence against the church. We were taught from a young age to not even look at both sides of the evidence, as only one side was true.

I suggest you don't do that, but just take your time and look for yourself at both sides. Listen to what they have to say, then fact check it yourself later.

When they say Joseph Smith had a vision of God and Jesus - Google it in your own time. You might wonder why Joseph made up several different versions of his first vision, each getting more elaborate and profound as time went on.

when they show you a picture of Joseph Smith translating the Book of Mormon, google it. Again you might wonder why the picture they show isn't anything like the actual method he used.

The evidence is there, you just need to decide which version sounds more likely to you.

Posted by: justarelative ( )
Date: January 25, 2016 01:38PM

anne,

You're not the first, and you won't be the last. Here's 'chimera', one of your predecessors. Lot's of good advice given here:

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1518865,1518865#msg-1518865

And the happy ending:

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1734895,1734895#msg-1734895

Oh, and please do us the courtesy of letting us know how things go for you.

JAR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2016 01:39PM by justarelative.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: January 25, 2016 02:28PM

This is one of the best threads I have ever read on RfM...

Props to everyone who has answered anne97...most exceptionally beautiful responses!!!

anne97: I am a nevermo ("never Mormon") who (because of a random Google search many years ago) stumbled upon this board way back then---and I've never left.

From a nevermo perspective...

Don't do it...you WILL regret it if you do.

Explore Mormonism all you want (here...with online resources...etc.) but do NOT allow yourself to be baptized.

Duck the missionaries...they are giving you the canned responses they have been very carefully trained to give...and whoever they might be as individuals, they do NOT know the real history, and the real theology, of their own religion. They have been kept in an artificial bubble all of their lives, and they are regurgitating the contents of that bubble when they interact with you---but that does not make what they say about Mormonism factual.

Read the posts here on RfM, and discover how difficult "leaving Mormonism" can be in people's real lives, once they discover that they have been carefully taught to trust and believe in fantastical things that never were.

Some of the people on this board were once in your position now...others were born into Mormonism and are often descended from Mormon historical figures.

There is a wealth of experience and knowledge here, and some of the most intelligent, creative, and knowledgeable people you will ever encounter...

Welcome.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2016 05:08PM by Tevai.

Posted by: nomonomo ( )
Date: January 25, 2016 02:54PM

Lots of good advice above. Your instincts have you looking around for good reason! You need to run from this as fast as you can.

Like Tevai, I'm a never-mo. But my baby brother was seduced into the cult by his high school girlfriend. That was 30 years ago, and it's caused 30 years of misery in our family.

My dad abandoned my mom, married a woman half his age. My youngest brother was probably impacted by this the most, because ultimately he was the only one left at home with my mom (who was struggling financially and emotionally), and my dad had long lost interest in trying to be a father since he was having children with his child bride. That's a gross over simplification, but suffice it to say that the first "family" struggled in any and all sorts of ways. My brother succumbed to all the "niceness," probably because life wasn't good at home.

Now that we're older, parents have passed on, and we've all essentially gotten on our feet and moved forward in life, the only "residue" left is that this one brother, and his wife and kids, have estranged themselves (i.e. they are shunning us) because he belongs to this "family" religion.

I point out the above because you are close to the same age (young adult), and if you join they will try to suck in the rest of your family too. But it your family resists, then they will split you apart from them. I have no idea what your family life is like, but you don't want these people coming between you or causing problems. If your family relationships are good, these people will cause problems, and if they're not good, they will exploit it by trying to make you feel welcome, loved, important, and so on (love bombing). That will all end quickly after you commit. Actually, they will be love-bombing you in any case at this point.

The biggest single reason to not join is because it's false. The cult, and the "royalty" who exist at the top of the heap, simply want your money. It was started based on lies, and continues to operate based on lies. Everything will be wonderful until you're committed, and then they will either chew you up and spit you out, or they will just chew on you forever.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2016 02:55PM by nomonomo.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: January 25, 2016 03:03PM

If you get married in the temple, you will be pledging your life and fortunes to the TCOJCOLDS in the New and Everlasting Covenant, which is spelled out in the church's own Doctrine and Covenants as pertaining to polygamy (and make no mistake, the D&C is supposed to be the actual word of GOD given directly to Joseph Smith); the missionaries would tell you "that's all in the past", "we don't do that any more", "it was only to take care of the poor widows of those killed during persecution" and "it was ended by revelation".

It wasn't ended by "revelation", but by a Manifesto in the 1890's as a way to get the US government off their backs about statehood.

And, if you family members aren't good temple recommend holders, they don't get to actually watch you get married (not that ceremony is any more than you and your spouse kneeling across from each other and hearing about eternal marriage and "...seal upon you the blessings of kingdoms, thrones, principalities, powers, dominions, and exaltations, with all the blessings of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob..."

Romantic, eh>?

Anyway, the majority of mormons are truly super nice people, but they are either generational "pioneer stock" and just go with the tradition, or are converts who were fed "milk before meat", i.e. not told of the really weird made up crap.

When the truth about the LDS church is so easy to find out nowadays, despite the good feelings you may get, you have to think about one thing: integrity.

You certainly don't *have* to go into detail about what we've informed you on at RfM, because the missionaries will automatically launch into a tearful testimony that they KNOW the church is true, but you can simply say you're not interested.

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: January 25, 2016 03:29PM

They won't lock you up or anything too bizarre, but it's a church with many problems, yet they believe they are the one and only true church.

I was a member from age 11, but started having issues when I was about your age. I was fully out by age 25. A few issues I have:

If you go on a mission or get married in an LDS temple, from then on you must wear these underclothes - ALL THE TIME. I am not kidding.
http://1857massacre.com/MMM/Images/undrwrmo-couple.jpg

Women can hold a church position over children and other women, but never over a man. Men are always in charge.

Blacks were not allowed full status or to go to the temples until 1975! Black or dark skin is considered a punishment by God according to the Book of Mormon.

Children of married gay couples can not even be baptized until they are on their own and disavow their parents' lifestyle.

If you get married in an LDS temple, your non-mormon friends and family members can not attend your wedding.

The church requires 10% of your GROSS income. In other words, 10% of the amount you were paid BEFORE taxes and such were taken out. You will have an annual meeting to review your payments. The church, on the other hand, does not disclose AT ALL what is done with the payments received from the members. You are expected to simply TRUST the leadership.

Oh, it goes on and on. But I will stop here.

Posted by: Optional2 (not logged in) ( )
Date: January 25, 2016 03:52PM

Dear Anne,

I took the missionary lessons when I was young, and was fooled by the friendliness of the missionaries and friendshipping members.

I made the mistake to trust Mormon teachings. Found out many years later that Mormonism is full of reassuring lies and false promises.

I recommend reading:

1) the New York Times article: Some Mormons Search Web and Find Doubt.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/21/us/some-mormons-search-the-web-and-find-doubt.html?_r=0

And 2):

a Christian website called irr.org because they
compares the LDS teachings in "Gospel Principles Manual" (lessons) with the Bible.

http://mit.irr.org/category/gospel-principles-and-bible

Posted by: Book of Mordor ( )
Date: January 25, 2016 04:12PM

"can someone tell me other things about the LDS church that are a negative?"

Oh yes. Yes, we can.

Anne, congratulations for having the presence of mind to come here and ask questions from people who have been there and done that.

The missionaries (I too was one, many years ago) would throw a fit if they knew you were here. They will say that we are liars and tools of Satan. They will urge you, with all the persuasive skills they can muster, to listen to them as the only source for information about the church. They want to control your access to information.

And that's just the beginning. If the church is about any one thing, it's about CONTROL. It is, at its worst, a totalitarian obedience cult. It wants to control every aspect of your life: what you eat, drink, wear, read, and say; who your friends and family are; what you do with your time and money; and so on. Its tactics are fear, guilt, and shame. I'm not making any of this up; examples have already been given, and others no doubt will be.

As a woman, you will always be a second-class citizen. The men hold the priesthood and the ecclesiastical power. The women have to content themselves with passive-aggressive emotional manipulation.

If you are baptized, the church will put you on track to go to the temple. That's where you'll encounter a deeper level of cult initiation, pledging to give everything you have to the church. These ceremonies are supposed to be eternal, given directly from God and never-changing. But they have been changed; in 1990, the symbolic penalties (throat-slashing, disemboweling) were removed from the ceremony. Today's missionaries have no knowledge of them and will dismiss them as lies. But they really happened, as many can attest.

I could go on and say much more, but others have covered it well. If you want more information, try

http://cesletter.com

It's 80 pages, but with graphics and illustrations. It's a valuable resource for seeing the inconsistencies of Mormon doctrinal claims.

To conclude, if an abusive church that sucks the life and joy out of its members; tries to shame them into conformity; makes them perform janitorial duties in their own building while taking 10% of their income; takes away their time by burdening them with "callings" and other church service; proclaims the virtues of being "childlike," stunting their emotional development; and tries to micromanage their sexuality from cradle to grave, etc., sounds like a good deal, then Mormonism is for you.

But if you want to live a good, normal, authentic life, with true freedom of choice, with or without God, then for your own sake drop these missionaries like they were radioactive.

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: January 25, 2016 04:25PM

They are trying to get you to join the church by being baptized as soon as possible. They are trying to sell you their religion and thus will NOT be completely honest about the religion. In addition, most Mormons don't even know the problematic parts of the religion, particularly its past. They choose to remain ignorant of anything that might shed a negative light on "the Church."

If you want to know they are up to and what they will NOT tell you, read the following. Its an excellent summary from a long time former Mormon:

The next thing I would read is the CES Letter. Its from another former born and raised Mormon. Its probably the best summary of the problems in Mormon history and theology.

http://cesletter.com

As this letter will be deemed "anti-Mormon" by many believing Mormons, they might dismiss it, refuse to read it, or tell you it can't be trusted. In case of this, I would print off "the Church Essays" from the LDS Church's own website:

http://mormonessays.com/

These are actually essays written by the LDS church and posted on its own website that deal with some of controversial aspects of its history and doctrine. You could highlight some of the areas you have issues with and give them to the missionaries to read and tell them you got it from their own church website (so it can be trusted).

Remember, you don't have to do ANYTHING you don't want to. Don't let these religious sales people pressure you into buying their product.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: January 25, 2016 05:00PM

Might I point out some of the more practical matters.
You can confirm these points with the missionaries or other friends at any LDS church.

First. Women have no authority and very little say in church matters. The leadership or priesthood is all male.

Second. Women are expected to stay home and raise kids. Careers and education of women is frowned upon.

Third. You may be asked to attend a Young Single Adults ward. Its purpose is to get you married and producing kids.

Fourth. You are expected to sacrifice one tenth of your gross (pre tax) income to the church even if you lose your home or fannit pay for food or meds. For some this is 20% of their take home pay.

Fifth. The church does not employ janitors. You will be expected to clean the church bathrooms from time to time.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: January 25, 2016 05:02PM

Forgive my typing on my phone

Fannit should be can not. Been a long day at work.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: January 25, 2016 05:15PM

Five generations of hell on Earth is what Mormonism gave my family. Not recommended.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: January 25, 2016 05:22PM

Just trust me - the LDS CULT is WORSE than the bubonic plague. Stay away from it. When they come asking again about you coming to the CULT, slam the door in their faces and tell them to FUCK OFF AND DIE. I am very serious. The CULT will ruin your life. AVOID IT AT ALL COSTS.

The only difference between Warren Jeffs and JOseph's Myth is 150 years.
The CULT was founded by a child molester. If that turns you on, go for it, but otherwise AVOID IT AVOID IT AVOID IT.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2016 05:37PM by verilyverily.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: January 27, 2016 11:33PM

"They show you all the goody goody stuff" - WTF would that be? I must have blinked and missed the goody goody stuff. I find NOTHING about the CULT good, NOTHING.

Posted by: tomie ( )
Date: January 25, 2016 05:29PM

They fit the definition of a cult. If you are having any doubts, concerns, gut feelings listen to that. Run from the Mormon church and missionaries as fast as you can.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: January 25, 2016 05:37PM

Anne,
Hello and welcome.
Whatever you decide, make sure you DO YOUR HOMEWORK. And don't be pressured into getting baptized. Make sure they answer all your questions to your satisfaction.

Also ask yourself, are you at a point in your life where you are vulnerable? Have you been going thru some hard times? Are you lonely etc? These kinds of times can make someone very vulnerable. So fact that in.

Posted by: unworthy ( )
Date: January 25, 2016 06:05PM

The Mormons want your time, your money, control of who you are friends with. Do some research and study and listen to others who were sucked in. Read the book, No Man Knows My History. It is a well oiled and controlling, very rich organization. take your time and do research. Keep in touch,, good luck

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: January 25, 2016 11:48PM

Mormon women MUST be subservient to men. If you go far enough in the Mormon church to get into the temple, you will need to pull a veil over your face and say "YES" to the men.

There are few groups in life any more misogynistic than the Mormons.

I didn't have time to read all the above, but if it hasn't been mentioned, their method of enticing you into the church is called "milk before meat." They show you all the goody goody stuff and tell you all the pretty things they want you to know. That is the milk.

If you want the meat I highly recommend Richard Packham's site.

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: January 26, 2016 04:11AM

It must be very confusing to you when people tell you that the mormon elders, who look so smilingly sweet and rosy-cheeked, are ignorant of their own church history.

It must be confusing to hear that they have lived their lives in a bubble and never heard of any of the horrible aspects of their religion

My own words, earlier about the Essays - "
these essays are published by the mormon church, and yet, if you mention them to some mormons, they will still accuse you of being 'anti-mormon'" - must be very difficult to believe for someone who has never experienced the church

so, I would invite you to read this thread, and follow the link to the 'Salt Lake Tribune' newspaper article, about a church teacher who was removed from his teaching 'calling' for quoting from the church's own essays on the church's own website

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1760643

http://www.sltrib.com/lifestyle/faith/2475803-155/mormon-bishop-dismisses-teacher-for-using

Posted by: notamormon ( )
Date: January 26, 2016 09:52AM

Here is the link to videos by a Mormon dude. A very funny way to tell the truth about mormonism.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0u7ZMWqkr7cKD_rvEXZUuQ

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.