Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: fbtj ( )
Date: January 27, 2016 11:58PM

I had this conversation with a mormon.org person named Chen (C), and posed as a Devin (D). Enjoy

hello Devin!
9:35 PM
how are you today?

D
Im fine thank you. Hi I just have a question about prayer

C
okay!
i have an answer:)

D
Ok, so if a person is sick, they are prayed for or had one of your "preisthood blessings" done upon them, and they recover its the hand of god correct?
9:36 PM

C
yes
9:37 PM

D
But if they pray and do a priesthood blessing, and the person dies, the answer is that it was there time to go. Right?
9:38 PM
Part of his divine plan

C
yeah
9:38 PM

D
So if it is all in gods plan, and the person recovers and is ok, then it wasnt their time to go yet. And if its all in gods plan, and the person dies, then it was there time to go.
9:39 PM
So what was the point of praying

C
sometimes god will give you the things that he wants to give you but if you didn't pray for it he won't give you
9:41 PM
is it makes sense? sorry for my english

D
Your perfectly fine. :)
9:42 PM
So a person may die at my expense because I didnt pray or fast or do a blessing on them.
Seems....

C
i found a great essay talks about it!
9:44 PM
https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2010/04/healing-the-sick?lang=eng

D
Reading it now
9:45 PM

C
the last paragraph is really good
9:47 PM

D
Ok so my question still stands. If my prayer and preisthood power has a lot to do with my morality and transgressions, basically my standing with god/christ in the atonement at that time, that I need to be "worthy" in case I need to use priesthood power to heal someone, that would mean that someones life or health could be at the expense of me, either not praying or doing a blessing for them, or not being worthy of those things.
9:50 PM
Doesnt add up to me

END

He hasnt responded in a while but I still havent closed it. Ill update it if he says anything next.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2016 12:24AM by fbtj.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: January 28, 2016 12:08AM

UPDATE 1: Still no reply but they have added 3 people to this conversation. No one has said anything but there are now 4 people on this shit trying to figure this out for me. I love it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2016 12:25AM by fbtj.

Date: January 28, 2016 12:41AM

UPDATE 2: It's up to 7 people in the chat but still no one has said anything.

Posted by: spiritist ( )
Date: January 28, 2016 12:28AM

I will answer that if I were asked ----- as I believe in healing. This would have been the Mormon answer if you asked "me" as a Mormon also.

I would say the illness that you will recover from, with healing, involves much less pain and less recovery time.

Of course, now I would go one step further than a Mormon in that I do 'health' meditations on a weekly basis to try to avoid normal 'illness' completely.

Note: I am not sure any of my 'priesthood' healings were effective. However, my rare healings of minor illnesses of myself seem very effective in terms of less pain and less recovery time ----- obviously very subjective.

I once researched 'Christian healings' and remember researchers made a similar claim ----- less hospital time for 'believers' who use prayer. I presented that in church just to show them the 'power of prayer' is not unique to Mormons. Of course I found no 'Mormon' studies ----- maybe a reason.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2016 01:01AM by spiritist.

Posted by: zenjamin ( )
Date: January 28, 2016 12:51AM

Sitting here laughing.
This is awesome.
Thanks fbtj! :D

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: January 28, 2016 01:50AM

Anyone who believes that God will heal someone (or bless them in any way) based on another person's pleas (and contingent on the the supplicant's "worthiness") has to explain how a a loving, FAIR God could operate so capriciously.

What happens to the poor sap with no worthy friends or family praying for HIM or HER? Will God refuse to heal or bless them for lack of popularity? But, if God will bless that person anyway (based on their OWN worthiness), then why should we pray for anyone in the first place?

Posted by: the1v ( )
Date: January 28, 2016 04:18PM

There you go again, applying logic to something based upon dumb blind faith.

Now stop questioning it because you know it is true.

Posted by: Imbolc ( )
Date: January 28, 2016 07:58PM

That is freakin' hilarious! You got them by the short and curlies. They paint themselves in a corner and they all most likely have an "Oh shit!" look on their faces.

I quit praying even before I quit believing there was a god of any sort. It felt like a waste of time, just sitting there talking to myself. Plus there is a level of arrogance one must have to think one can influence a god to change something in your favor, just because.

If you think of another zinger for them, please do share. It is highly entertaining. Something about dimwits struggling with logic is such a guilty pleasure.

Posted by: Balard123 not logged in ( )
Date: January 28, 2016 08:12PM

the 49er's have not won since Steve Young retired and I have done a lot of praying

Is it because I don't believe or that Steve Young was A Mormon?

TALK ABOUT A CONUNDRUM i CHI WAWA

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.