Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: January 30, 2016 09:49AM

I have always disliked the word(s) Mormons use (inactive and less active) for people who do not attend their required meetings. I am neither - I am not a Mormon any longer. Yes I was born into a Mormon believing family and it took many years and much abuse from those God loving assholes for me to decide my children were not going to be mentally abused by Mormon Elders.

I am not a Mormon because I have used my god giving right to decide for myself I am not a Mormon. I do not have to write a letter or email or send anything to anyone. I am not inactive or less active - I am NOT Mormon any longer.

I do not attend their boring meetings, believe their stupid myths, give money or do anything Mormons are required to do like wear stupid magical underwear.

I am not a Mormon - How about you?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: January 30, 2016 11:02AM

In those very rare occasions when I'm asked about my religion, I say that I used to be a Mormon, but that I don't associate with, or believe in any religion now.

I have never resigned or been excommunicated.

Posted by: hausfrau ( )
Date: January 31, 2016 05:20PM

I hardly get asked anymore since I've moved into the neighborhood 5 years ago when I told the neighbors too much, giving them hope I'll go back. I no longer feel this way. If I said 'non practicing Mormon', albeit true, it's not typical phrasing used by Mormons.

Posted by: saidit ( )
Date: January 30, 2016 11:16AM

Excellent point, themaster. Even after they can no l

Posted by: saidit ( )
Date: January 30, 2016 11:27AM

saidit Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Excellent point, themaster. Even after they can
> no

(sorry - phone screen jump)

...no longer lay claim to you, they want to tag you with one of their negative labels. It not a bloodline or birthright - it can be completely shrugged off, purged, washed off, as in non-mormon.

We don't refer to other victims of abuse in terms of that abuse or any relationship to the abuser. "less active robbed person," or "inactive beaten woman," both which sound stupid.

We call them survivors.

Posted by: nomonomo ( )
Date: January 31, 2016 10:18AM

+100!

Posted by: laperla not logged in ( )
Date: January 30, 2016 11:31AM

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: January 30, 2016 12:11PM

Saidit said it so well. Survivor is a better term and if pressed I will accept "escapee."

I declared myself "not a Mormon" the second I figured out the lie. I didn't care either what their records said. Of course this was decades ago when there was no resignation and the only option was excommunication, which of course would be absurd--like asking someone who hit you for "more please."

I sent a resignation a while ago just to add to the bundles of letters the TSCC was getting because of the last policy change on gay people's kids. When I got the letter back saying I was out, it seemed like just one more piece of junk mail to me because I haven't been a Mormon for more than forty years. My only reaction was that they could at least have had the decency to call me Mr. Blue instead of "Brother Blue."

Posted by: fortheloveofhops ( )
Date: January 30, 2016 12:20PM

I did the same thing.

The only thing it really changed is that now the LDS church and I can agree that I am no longer a member. ;-)

I've been a non-member much longer than their records indicate.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: January 31, 2016 04:13AM

I had received a totally unexpected inheritance from a family member. Otherwise, I could never have afforded this dream-come-true.

A younger couple that I had become friendly with asked, "Do you belong to a church?" (By this time, we were good enough friends that this didn't seem intrusive. I was OK with it.)

I replied, "I'm a recovering Mormon." They both laughed and said that they were "recovering Catholics." We chatted very easily about the lunacies of our former religious affiliations. It was a great conversation. They knew next to nothing about Mormonism, and were amazed.

One of them remarked, "And here I thought the CATHOLIC church was crazy. . .!"

Posted by: Brigham Smith ( )
Date: February 01, 2016 02:28AM

If they are referring to you as "Brother Blue" are you sure you are out? Back in 1990, they replied to my first demand letter by sending me one asking if I knew the consequences, what the problem is etc, referring to me as "Brother" X.

It was only after I replied confirming my demand that they sent another letter, confirming I was off the membership rolls, referring to me then as "Mr" X...

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: January 30, 2016 12:16PM

Sadly, Mormons use their own terms when they gossip about us and there's not much we can to change them.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: January 30, 2016 12:19PM

I've started to just say, "I wasn't raised with religion at all," which is true.

I went searching for religion on my own.

If asked what churches I've been to, I'll say, "Well, I started out Catholic, then was Anglican, Baptist and then even Mormon, but now I'm just not religious at all."

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 30, 2016 12:28PM

I did resign, but only to make a point, not because it changed anything in my mind, though it was really nice to do it for some reason. I didn't expect to be relieved. My boyfriend was afraid I'd have a meltdown. Nope.

Someone on mormon VIP lounge said that he found a Greek translation for apostate that meant "freed slave." I'll take apostate. I was such a good little girl for so damn long, I love the labels of apostate adulteress.

The bishop told me he wouldn't tell anyone I had resigned. I tell them, though. I want the ward members to know. I think the word has gotten around. It has been 20 years since I was active mormon in any fashion.

Posted by: arinae ( )
Date: January 30, 2016 11:22PM

I resigned because I didn't want to be associated with such a hateful organization. I didn't want them to have the impression that I did.

For years it was enough for me to know I was exmo. Their recent policy changes made me decide to wash my hands entirely.

Good for you for not needing that to feel like you've cut all ties. That's how it *should* be.

Too bad TSCC doesn't see it that way and brainwashes people into keeping others active (or trying to at least).

Posted by: oneinbillions ( )
Date: February 01, 2016 07:18AM

+1

I couldn't have my name associated with that bigoted and homophobic organization any longer, even if it was "just on paper." I still don't think resignation should even be a thing, you should be able to just walk away like with every other major religion on the planet.

Cult indeed.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: January 30, 2016 11:39PM

I am not a Mormon and my children are unknown to the cult.

RB

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: January 30, 2016 11:58PM

EQP: "What about Brother Jones?"

First Counselor: "He hasn't been to church in months. He's
training for a marathon and is busy volunteering for the local
soup kitchen feeding the homeless; he's a member of the local
search and rescue group, and is president of the astronomy
club. I also heard he's working on a novel."

EQP: "Too bad he's gone inactive."

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: January 31, 2016 11:15AM

That is the mindset all right. Tune out everything that doesn't have "Mormon church worthy" stamped right across the top.

Posted by: Cpete ( )
Date: January 31, 2016 01:03AM

I'm not even christian, so no not an inactive or less active mormon. https://youtu.be/HQJ3sqkdCRE

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2016 01:11AM by cpete.

Posted by: Leaving ( )
Date: January 31, 2016 09:32AM

Everybody in the world is labeled according to how they relate to mormonism. There is even a term for a non-member who the Mormons wish was Mormon: Dry Mormon.

Posted by: hausfrau ( )
Date: January 31, 2016 05:25PM

Especially since he doesn't drink a drop of alcohol.

Posted by: sunnynomo ( )
Date: February 18, 2016 09:40AM

I have been called this - to my face more than once. "Oh - you're just a dry mormon!! All you need is baptism! We'll get you one day!"

Really??!!

All this because I live in the morridor and am polite.

Posted by: alf garnett ( )
Date: January 31, 2016 12:53PM

The thing I sometimes find a little hard to understand is this: I was born a Jew. The thought of describing myself as an ex Jew is incomprehensible to me, despite my having been agnostic/atheist for more than 35 years. What is different for multi-generational (however disaffected) Mormons?

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: February 18, 2016 09:32AM

Mormonism is, in many respects, an ethnicity like being a Jew.

However Jews accept Jews like you who will publicly state they
don't believe in the Torah etc. You are one of them, and not
considered a "problem." When was the last time you heard of a
Jew being excommunicated from from Judaism for publicly stating
his or her beliefs or lack thereof?

Jews proudly claim Einstein, who was a pantheist, at best. But
Mormons don't claim Paul D. Boyer.

By the way, Provo-born Paul D. Boyer, a graduate of BYU, won
the Nobel Prize in Chemistry in 1997. He was one of 22 Nobel
laureates to sign the Humanist Manifesto in 2003.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2016 09:36AM by baura.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: January 31, 2016 01:00PM

(The Stupid 'Church')

I'm going straight ahead - and simply removed the obstacle (the Mormon church - TMC)!

Nothing stands between me and eternal truth and happiness. To explain it away is to over simplify it. I simply removed the obstacle/ stumbling blocks/ TMC from standing in the way.

I don't have time for games... unless they are my own invention.

M@t

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2016 02:28PM by moremany.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.