Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Annie Onymous ( )
Date: February 10, 2016 01:03PM

Yesterday, a table of 7 walked into the restaurant--two parents and a gaggle of young kids. It was a slow night. The other two servers decided to go on break, leaving me the only one on the floor while the manager slipped away. Otherwise, I would have passed this family on to somebody else.

Seating them, I suggest milk orange juice or coffee (as we are trained to do, being a 24hr breakfast place). If it weren't a thoughtless reflex, I would've left the coffee bit out. If I knew the father would flip out and start chewing me out in front of other diners, I would've left them at the host stand for somebody else to deal with.

I knew they were going to order all waters to drink, because of course they would. I should've known they also wouldn't tip for a $50 check and demand a manager because they're "members of the ONE TRUE church, representatives of CHRIST HIMSELF" and both parents took it as a personal attack. How dare I offer them a warm drink on a cold evening at a time many people visit specifically to settle into said warm drink?

I sold $167 worth of food, it was so slow. They were about 1/3 of my sales and left no tip. If it wouldn't get me into deep shit with my boss, I would've made them leave at the first hint of holier-than-thou rage. I'm dealing with a nasty bout of depression, and don't need their crap on top of it.

TL;DR: if you're a TBM lurking here and don't get anything else out of this forum, please for the love of god tip your server. Don't be a dick. We work for $3 an hour, busting our rears. We actually get in trouble and can lose our jobs if we don't make enough tips. LDS people are always the most dreaded customers because they lean towards demanding, rude, and have a bad reputation for not tipping.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: shortbobgirl ( )
Date: February 10, 2016 01:17PM

How were you supposed to know they were Mormons? Were they wearing signs? If not, they need to buck up and realize the entire world does not live by their rules. A simple we prefer water was all that was necessary.

Posted by: ConcernedCitizen ( )
Date: February 10, 2016 06:26PM

...maybe they smelled of the Ward Building. Formaldehyde and Cheerios...........

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: February 10, 2016 01:30PM

They want to teach Mormon lessons wherever they go. Berating non-Mormons and punishing them for not being Mormon is what fanatical Mormons do.

I'm so sorry for this bad experience. You deserved better.

Posted by: the1v ( )
Date: February 10, 2016 01:39PM

Well they were eating out when they couldn't afford it. $50 bill for a group of 7... Sheesh. I thought I went cheap with a $40 one last night for me and my two boys.

Got to pay the 10% of the money they don't have. Those poor kids heard juice as an option and their eyes lit up. I remember being that kid and dreaming of orange juice because I only got it at my grandmothers house because it was too expensive.

The parents are of course upset because you treated them like you didn't have a clue who they where. You insulted their superiority complex.

Anytime you work in retail you run into idiots. Forget about them and hopefully you'll make more on your next shift.

Posted by: Bamboozled ( )
Date: February 10, 2016 01:41PM

A long time ago in a different world....

Back in the 80's I briefly worked at a restaurant in Orem. I was usually back in the kitchen but at times would be called out to work the dining room if it was too busy or if to many waitresses called in sick that day.

Tips were meager at best most of the time.

One really nice family I waited on that happened to be passing through the area noticed that no one was leaving tips. They quietly asked me if the people in Utah Valley were cheap or was it a Mormon thing? I mumbled under my breath that it was probably a little of both and that they had stumbled into the Twilight Zone. They laughed, gave me a nice tip, and headed out of Planet Utah.

The end.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: February 10, 2016 01:43PM

Many, many decades ago when I was a kid, lots of restaurants and diners who served breakfast always had a coffee cup as part of the place setting and the waitress often automatically poured coffee.

I used to hear all the Mormons around telling each other to be sure and "turn your coffee cup over" as soon as you sat down. The thing was, so many would make such a big deal out of it. It sounded like advice on how to avoid the black plague.

When this was discussed, someone would inevitable tell a famous (to Mormons) story about how a big group went to a diner in Vegas and after they turned their coffee cups over, one waitress said to the other, "Did you ever see so many people with ulcers in your life?" Then the Mormons would all titter as if that was hilarious.

So sorry you got the "full frontal Mormon nastiness with a side of cheap." That behavior is disgusting.

Posted by: Visitors welcome ( )
Date: February 10, 2016 02:38PM

Honestly, if it were the custom around here to pour coffee into your cup without asking, I would also make a habit of turning my cup over. Not to be a preachy dick, but to get a chance to ask for tea.
At lots of occasions in some parts of Europe they serve you wine without asking for it, so I just turn my wine glass upside down in those cases, and the waitresses will never be offended but just ask if I want my water still or sparkling.

But if someone near me dared to use the cup-turning ritual to preach about their cult, I would cringe.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2016 06:35PM by Susan I/S.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: February 10, 2016 06:23PM

I turn my cup over at Waffle House because they will just pour -- and I like to dissolve my sugar in some creamer first and then add the coffee. At home, I put sugar in the grounds and then add hot water (French press). This results in nicely sweetened coffee where all the sugar is dissolved. If you pour hot coffee and then add sugar, you have to stir and stir and still might end up with "sugar grounds" at the bottom.

I am super finicky about coffee.

Posted by: escapee nli ( )
Date: February 10, 2016 10:09PM

My grandfather drank his coffee black, and then put spoonful after spoonful of sugar in it. There was always "sugar grounds" in the bottom of his cup.

Other Susan

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: February 10, 2016 06:47PM

Sigh. Every member, at every moment a missionary ya know. Sigh. My Grandmother would LOUDLY insist that the coffee cups were removed - WE ARE MORMON! Then she would turn right around and have them bring her one back for her nastyass Postum. And of course, she would then pray over the food. LOUD. It wasn't so bad when we were visiting Utah, but in So Cal she would make entire restaurants cringe.

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: February 10, 2016 02:03PM

The worst part of this ordeal is what the children were taught.

Posted by: laughing in provo ( )
Date: February 10, 2016 02:33PM

I think that we should give big tips, as much as we can. I believe in the law of the harvest, you sow what you reap. the more you give the more will come back to you. I always order water when I go out but its because I can't drink soda (reflux acid ) , have never tasted coffee ( my parents both drank coffee, just never tasted it myself ). on a rare occasion will have hot chocolate. if you want to have fun with a Mormon tell them hot chocolate is against the wow.

I always thought the general rule was never mess with the person who brings you your dinner.

Posted by: shodanrob ( )
Date: February 10, 2016 02:48PM

Is it really that bad that TBMs don't tip in Utah? Not saying you're lying. I know it has happened before, but I was not aware it was a common thing. It's just a foreign concept to me. My wife and I have always tried to tip high. Always be nice to the server, because if you are they will make sure to take care of you.

I shouldn't be surprised, my wife went to dinner with her TBM sister. Her sister was upset because it took a long time to get a seat. Busy Saturday night..so go figure. Kitchen was a bit backed up and they told them before they ordered. My wife says that her sister tried to back out of tip. Being that my wife was once a server over 20 years ago, she made up the difference because my SIL left a shitty tip. Must be a TBM thing.

Posted by: NeverMoJohn ( )
Date: February 10, 2016 02:50PM

It would be fun to see them put on a similar display outside the Mormon bubble.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: February 10, 2016 03:40PM

I agree, especially with a server asking if they'd like coffee when getting the drink order. After all, outside the Mormon Bubble, it's a normal thing to be offered coffee at a restaurant, especially if it serves breakfast 24 hours a day. I'm pretty sure the waitstaff in St George liked it when I was there with my mom and her husband after visiting the Grand Canyon, as we probably gave them the biggest tip of their shift.

One other example of Mormon cheapness I've noticed is that they avoid staying in hotels if there are family members or TBM friends they can stay with instead.

Posted by: shodanrob ( )
Date: February 10, 2016 04:10PM

I can confirm this. SIL goes to CA and always imposes on the Ex Mo sister to stay at her house instead of a hotel. Of course she won't be going back after the last visit when she discovered her sister was an ex mo.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: February 10, 2016 03:13PM

As an Evangelical Christian, I usually leave a gospel tract when I leave. No way am I going to neglect or under-tip with that!

I also try to ascertain whether they keep their tips individually, or pool them. If the latter, I ask if they are sure the manager or supervisor distributes them fairly. In many cases, the answer is no. Then I slip the tip into the server's pocket or apron.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2016 03:15PM by caffiend.

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: February 10, 2016 06:21PM

Leaving a gospel tract is usually not very appreciated.

You would not like to know what people did with them in the restroom where I worked as a teenageer.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: February 10, 2016 06:37PM

Lol. I've been given these in lieu of a tip. I usually pocket them and put them in a urinal, Jesus face up.

Keep your preachy shit to your self righteous self, thanks.

Date: February 10, 2016 10:40PM

The key point is your phrase, "in lieu of a tip." More than bad PR, it's rude and ineffective. If this has happened to you, then, on behalf of my (thoughtless) Christian brethren, I apologize.

I maintain that I have every right to share what I believe, just as the atheists do on this board, and very abundantly at that. I'm offended by atheists' anti-Christmas billboards, but that's the way it is. All I can do is drive by their exercise in free speech and suck it up. I accept JW's literature, and discretely dispose of it later. Or should I rip it up in their faces and throw it all over the sidewalk? A server can discard, or read, the tract I leave behind.

When possible, I try to answer atheists--and you, Levi--with positive answers. Sneering answers, ad hominem attacks ("your self righteous (sic) self"), derogatory terms ("preachy sh*t"), and pissing on me, figuratively or literally, offends people, weakens your argument, and accomplishes nothing except giving you a certain sense of (ahem...) "righteousness."

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: February 10, 2016 11:02PM

I'll go my way, you go Yahweh.

And if that is offensive, read it again.

Edit to fix spelling of the Zombie's name.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2016 11:03PM by Levi.

Date: February 11, 2016 12:11AM

Repay no one evil for evil, but give thought to do what is honorable in the sight of all. If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all. Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God, for it is written, “Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord.” To the contrary, “if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink; for by so doing you will heap burning coals on his head.” Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Paul, Romans 12.17-21 ESV

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: February 10, 2016 03:21PM

Mormons are not the only cheap tippers. I have often gone out to eat with people (seniors) who think it's still 1950 and refuse to tip over 10%. Very often, I leave another $5 bill on the table as their cheap tips are an insult. I've also put a tip in a server's pocket as I know our table has slighted them!

Posted by: NeverMoJohn ( )
Date: February 10, 2016 03:22PM

I always try to tip in cash, even when I pay the bill with a credit card. I do this out of concern for the individual server actually getting their tip.

Date: February 10, 2016 03:24PM

NeverMoJohn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I always try to tip in cash, even when I pay the
> bill with a credit card. I do this out of concern
> for the individual server actually getting their
> tip.

EXCELLENT point!

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: February 10, 2016 06:45PM

Some restaurants base payroll taxes on the projected amount of tips the server SHOULD make, based on their sales. If you don't leave a tip, the serve could actually lose part of their base income to pay taxes on assumed tips.

A couple of my kids have worked in restaurants, and sadly, large family groups tend to have high expectations, make lots of messes, not supervise their children closely enough, and leave poor tips. Some customers even specialize in abusing good employees and complaining to get free food, and they do it repeatedly at the same restaurant. I don't understand why the owners put up with it. In one restaurant, that was factor in poor morale and employee turnover. My kids left and got other jobs.

My opinion is that the way people treat those serving them is a real indicator of their character. If someone is entitled or abusive, or consider service people 'beneath them', there is a high likelihood they are difficult or abusive people at home.

Yes, treat (and tip) your servers well!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2016 06:48PM by imaworkinonit.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 10, 2016 06:47PM

Do mormons believe that Jesus Christ would stiff his servers, and in general go out of his way to be a shit head? Is that what they think?

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: February 10, 2016 07:30PM

There are restaurants that automatically add the tip to the bill for large parties. Maybe places in Utah should start doing this. If it keeps large non-tipping mormon families out, so be it.

Posted by: laperla not logged in ( )
Date: February 10, 2016 07:37PM

Posted by: queststarable ( )
Date: February 10, 2016 07:37PM

Damn, those were some low-born jerks. One's religion is no excuse for crass behavior, no matter how crass the religion.

I even tip when I drive-through. I tip the lady at the Chinese place, where I call in my lunch order. I tip generously every chance I get.

It's so much more satisfying than tithing to people who have forgotten what "work" is, you know the ones, they stack up gold and riches on this planet, because they have no real faith or belief in any other.

I don't tip for hope of any gain, other than gratitude that that person crawled his or her tired rump out of a warm bed to feed others, for way too small a share of the profits. They do an important piece of society's work, they pay their rent, they go home tired and used up. I appreciate them! I try to show it in the most meaningful way a stranger can.

OP, you took both the high road, and one for the home team of decent people everywhere. Thank you.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: February 10, 2016 10:37PM

Funny how those that we assume pay a full tithe, hoping that the windows of heaven will pour out blessings upon them, but they won't tip for great service.

Never mind, they're too broke to leave a good tip because they 5 kids and gave your tip to TS Monson.

I remeber my brother telling about a time when he his 5 little kids were in a diner--dirty diapers, screaming children--you know the drill, and he said the staff felt sorry for them. I'll bet he didn't leave much of a tip.

Posted by: xe ( )
Date: February 10, 2016 10:57PM

WHAT? He seriously got mad at you for offering coffee?

I'm not usually a confrontational person, but this is a situation where if I was another customer, I might've said something to him. That's just uncalled for and rude.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: February 10, 2016 11:46PM

read the whole thing Opie (srs)

~◦~ ~◦~ ~◦~

God bless servers everywhere

Remember to tip your servers (you cheap bastards)

~◦~ ~◦~ ~◦~

that reminds ziller of a story:

once upon a time

ziller was entertaining some clients at the H00ters in Flower Mound, Texas

Time came around to pay

ziller grabbed the bill and dropped a generous 20% to it and handed it to the server

The client snatched the ticket out of the server's hand, cursed, then tore the ticket in half

"Gotdammit Ziller', the client shouted.

"You're not ever coming out with me or get my business!"

"Round here We tip 100% !!!"

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.