Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: February 10, 2016 02:41PM

I thought this comment deserved its own thread.

"Remembering and testifying of the Plan of Salvation and the knowledge of seeing our deceased again is how we as members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints mourn. It brings us great comfort and peace to know of God's plan at a sad time. Just because you do not believe that, does not make it untrue or wrong."
http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,39245,1560989#msg-1560989

My opinion is this isn't really mourning. If my beloved pet died suddenly and shortly after their death appeared to me in spirit form and spoke to me though they never had before and told me not to be sad because after I had died then we would be reunited I would still be mourning their loss as soon as their spirit apparition disappeared.

The knowledge that one will see someone again while possibly being comforting is not and never was mourning. It simply can't be.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rutabaga ( )
Date: February 10, 2016 02:50PM

More like denial.

Date: February 10, 2016 04:13PM

If de-nile were Mormon it would be in their weeds.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aaru

Mormons reformed Egyptian to serve their own eternal reeds.

Posted by: rutabaga ( )
Date: February 10, 2016 06:59PM

I'm hearing Cat Stevens now.

Date: February 10, 2016 07:15PM

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: February 11, 2016 07:55PM

Date: February 12, 2016 02:59PM

Praise to the bland who communes with the who ha.

Posted by: ipo ( )
Date: February 13, 2016 03:16AM

suddenly singing "Gordon B. Hinckley" in the beginning, instead of "Morning has broken". Thx hubby.

Date: February 11, 2016 03:03PM

When someone thinks they are nothing and their dead loved ones are safe in some sort of paradise I question if they are doing mourning right.

"The confirmation that my wife and children are safe in paradise, combined with the personal instruction I received that night have changed my perspective forever. It helps me to weekly remember the healing and hope of Christ’s atonement even though that involved recounting the cruelty of the cross and the admonition to endure our own."

"As I reflect back on the years since the crash, I am consistently reminded that, as a disciple of Jesus Christ, I am nothing, and He is everything.

Just let go, move forward, and be healed.

—Chris Williams"
https://deseretbook.com/p/dvd-just-let-go?s_cid=bnr160115&utm_source=ldsliving&utm_medium=banner&utm_campaign=justletgo&utm_content=bnr160115&variant_id=118344-dvd

I don't think so.

He is healed from mourning? Healed from what?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2016 03:03PM by Elder Berry.

Date: February 11, 2016 07:44PM

Someone on another post said that Mormonism was doing a good job on the overcoming a fear of death. I disagree. It is something to fear and quite another to walk around acting as if the feared thing doesn't matter at all. Our human condition being overridden by Mormonism's glories on the other side is evolutionary nonsense. It diminishes the living and the dying and makes death nothing more than becoming an angel in "the twinkling of an eye."

I for one see that as stuffing fears and doubts so far up your own ass as to make living life itself diminished. It is just a way-station until you can board the holy harem train.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: February 11, 2016 07:55PM

When my father died my mother was completely stoic. She showed almost no emotion and wore her great faith for all to see that Dad had "just gone ahead." This was to be a separation like when he had gone on a business trip or something. All part of God's plan. All good.

She finally confided to me that about a couple of months after the funeral the dam broke and she spent an exhausting day raving and ranting and crying and swearing at Dad for leaving her. In other words, she mourned. She showed her humanity. She dropped the front.

The front went back up in no time. She is a master builder actually. But it was nice to know that she had allowed herself that moment of reality and being in touch with her true feelings instead of the ones she thinks she's supposed to have.

The thing is, for Mormons suppression is the answer to everything.

Date: February 11, 2016 08:02PM

blueorchid Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The thing is, for Mormons suppression is the
> answer to everything.

And the surface happiness and superficial humanity rules. It is another world full of expectations being fulfilled with disingenuous self deceptions.

It is the death of a thousand smiles.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: February 13, 2016 02:53AM

It's comforting to think that you'll see your loved ones again, one day.

But over the past year, since my best friend died, death has seemed so final to me. I had thought, since we were always so close, that I would at least sense her presence in dreams or in some other way.

But she is GONE. No other way to put it. And the loss is heartbreaking. I don't dare verbalize this to anyone but you guys, because you are the only ones who really understand.

So in a way, I feel as if I have lost my dearest friend twice. Once, when she died. The second time, when I realized that she really, truly isn't THERE any more. Because there isn't a THERE. That one hurts.

So to steve benson and all the other atheists out there, I absorbed what you have been saying on an intellectual level for years. But only during this past year did I really get it, at the visceral level. It is brutal, but liberating.

Date: February 13, 2016 02:26PM

catnip Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So in a way, I feel as if I have lost my dearest
> friend twice. Once, when she died. The second
> time, when I realized that she really, truly isn't
> THERE any more. Because there isn't a THERE. That
> one hurts.

In Mormon parlance I believe this is called "The Second Death." It is the spiritual concept of complete separation from God and therefore everyone else you love(d) as well. But it isn't to be feared. Death is a separation and a complete one. We don't need a spiritual concept of "second" death. Only people in denial that people are truly gone need the fear of real reality to help them feel the loss.

> So to steve benson and all the other atheists out
> there, I absorbed what you have been saying on an
> intellectual level for years. But only during this
> past year did I really get it, at the visceral
> level. It is brutal, but liberating.

I think that is true of many things in human experiences. Our epistemology needs empirical bolstering.

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: February 13, 2016 04:26AM

A friend whom I admire very much told me how he handles the thought of being dead:

"I was dead for 4 billion years, before I was born, and I was all right. After I die, I will be dead for another 4 billion years, and I will be all right then, too."

My mother was a staunch TBM--a Relief Society president, Primary president, a relative of a prominent GA--and after my father died, we were visiting his grave, and she said, "Your father is under there--in the ground. That's where he is. I know this." She missed him very much, but handled his death very well.

I'm much less afraid of death, now I'm out of the cult.

Tonight I saw a comedian, who said that the Jehova's Witnesses came to his door and promised him eternal life. He told them, "Who would want to live forever with a bunch of Jehova's Witnesses? You've got to have a better selling point than that! Yuck."

The Celestial Kingdom was never anyplace I wanted to be, anyway. According to the Mormon cult, my temple ex-husband who beat me will be waiting there for me, along with his other two temple wives, and will claim me and my children (fathered by my second husband). What kind of heaven is that? According to the Mormon cult, there was nothing I could do about that, except marry another Mormon male in the temple (for a fee) and have my children sealed to the new husband--and we would all become his property.

"I am nothing." How depressing. Mormons can't even love themselves.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.