Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Thetimeisnow ( )
Date: February 12, 2016 09:06PM

I know many of us share some strange and otherwise bizarre stories from our Mormon past- now that most of us are out, looking back what is one of the stranger and 'things that make you go huh?' Moments?
I'll start- when I was a teenager dead dunking for the first time when I was done an older man who was working there pulled me aside and said- this never happens but when you were dead dunking a print out list of all the names of the people you dead dunked was printed out and I felt compelled by the Holy Ghost to give it to you. I was like- uhmmm okay. I relayed the story to my parents they gave me a funny look took the list of names and I never saw it again. Now I know this question is asked many times but- was that weird?
Your turn

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: nitrameequc ( )
Date: February 13, 2016 01:54AM

I don't know if this is exactly what you're looking for. But I'll never, ever , forget the time we went & did baptisms for the Dead in the S.L. Temple in 76 right before I went on my mission. The idiot guy in the baptismal font dunked me & let go of me... totally. I ended up grabbing my self , swimming around the font, darned near drowning & looking like a total idiot. When I finally got out, the guy said "I'm sorry I let go like that." I said "It's obvious that person did NOT wanna be baptized a Mormon. I almost drowned.....don't you EVER do that again". That was the LAST time I ever got dead dunked. I sat & waited til everybody was done.
NEVER AGAIN !!!!!

Posted by: blakballoon not logged in ( )
Date: February 13, 2016 02:52AM

DH and I attended the temple and did a bunch of temple file sealings. Must have been somebody's distant Scottish relatives, there were a lot of Mac's and lots of William Wallaces.
Anyway, as we knelt across the alter holding hands, the dude doing the ordinance must have had the names mixed up because he started marrying males to males. It was all pretty weird, our eyes met across the alter, and DH stifled a giggle.

Later on we had a good laugh imagining poor William Wallace married to his brother. Sealed for time n eternity, all his other brothers laughing at them never letting them forget

The same visit, DH dead dunked me a bunch, then I switched out and he dead dunked his mum. The guy putting the names up didn't change the name of the 'dunkee'. He then reamed DH out for saying, his mums name instead of mine. DH tried to explain that we'd switched but he just wouldn't have it. I'll never forget the vision splender of DH in baggy whites, standing in the font with my MIL, shouting at the temple worker.. THIS IS MY MOTHER, NOT MY WIFE! I KNOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MY MOTHER AND MY WIFE!!

Some temple workers could be soooo grumpy

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: February 13, 2016 09:42PM

That may have been my family. Tons of Wallaces and MC_____somethings. My mother was constantly supplying names for the temple.

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: February 13, 2016 05:14AM

I was at the funeral of my grandmother standing next to my "very" pregnant sister. A (former?) patriarch approached my sister, put his hand on her belly and pronounced some informal, vague prophecy about my unborn nephew. Whether or not the prediction came true or still might come true, or not, I couldn't tell you. Again, it was so vague that I didn't bother to remember it (this happened a couple of decades ago, but I think it was something about my sister's child "seeing/doing great things"). I was an unbeliever at the time so I was double unimpressed, but it appeared by super-TBM sister was quite taken. To me, it was more about a relative stranger (although the patriarch was a friend of my grandmother and we kind of knew who he was) ignoring boundaries and trying to look important and powerful in the eyes of fawning believers.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.