Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: riverogue ( )
Date: February 13, 2016 02:59AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxljQmTzYRI

This is fascinating. Here you can watch a brazillian spiritist surgeon perform cataract surgery, brain surgery, and surgery to remove a tumor in a woman's breast. Each operation only taking minutes, without anesthesia or antibiotic ointments without complications, while witnessed by a group medical professionals. I first became interested in this type of healing after reading a book "Spirits Alive" by a former doctor Dennis J. Trisker, who lived with me at a little community of healers and artists in Idaho. His book is about this kind of stuff, which he studied while living in Brazil.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: February 13, 2016 05:05AM

riverogue Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxljQmTzYRI
>
> This is fascinating. Here you can watch a
> brazillian spiritist surgeon perform cataract
> surgery, brain surgery, and surgery to remove a
> tumor in a woman's breast. Each operation only
> taking minutes, without anesthesia or antibiotic
> ointments without complications,

and without any effect

> while witnessed
> by a group medical professionals.

As James Randi has shown on many occasions, professionals (who are not familiar with magician tricks/sleight of hand) are often the easiest to fool, because they dont understand what is going on and can only use they specific field of expertise to process the information

> I first became
> interested in this type of healing after reading a
> book "Spirits Alive" by a former doctor Dennis J.
> Trisker, who lived with me at a little community
> of healers and artists in Idaho. His book is about
> this kind of stuff, which he studied while living
> in Brazil.

For further resarch you may want to read James randi's exposure of 'psychic surgery'
it may also amuse you to watch the film 'Man on the Moon'
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0125664/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Psychic surgey can be a placebo.... but placebo's do not really have a great track record against malignant tumours

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: February 13, 2016 05:35AM

I'm not sure if expert skeptics would consider this "psychic surgery" or not. I've seen Randi's exposes of that particular practice and I don't recall seeing any actual incisions into the flesh in those instances, as this video seems to show.

Of course, the whole thing could be staged, with "patients" and "doctors" in on the whole scam, or it could be a case of REALLY, REALLY dangerous procedures, where a quack performs simple, quick and DIRTY "operations" in horrendously non-antiseptic conditions. (Watching the video, all I could think was "Wow, that's really unsanitary!")

Whatever the case, there was no follow-up shown and, of course, no indication that any expert skeptics were allowed to examine the patients before and after the procedures and apparently no one on hand (like a James Randi) who could ensure that sleight-of-hand techniques and other tricks were not being employed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2016 06:21AM by lurking in.

Posted by: Jersey Girl ( )
Date: February 13, 2016 07:23AM

This is just sick and should not be passed around to gullible people. As Lurking in said, where are the controls and examinations after the fact? It is laughably easy to fake anything on video and have it look extremely real. Ever watch a zombie or monster movie? Do you know about the advanced state of CGI special effects, on top of plain old sleight of hand "magic" with chicken guts and fake blood? That an educated person would be taken in by this is sad and dangerous.

Posted by: spiritist ( )
Date: February 13, 2016 12:03PM

I guess I feel I need to give some input on this thread however, my experience is limited and much more general.

I would definitely not use the words that were used to define 'spiritism' or at least my experience with 'spiritist beliefs' however, in Brazil among many people with 'spiritist' beliefs I guess the moderator may have discussed it quite well ----- anything probably goes when you have so many believers that unite together. I was a little concerned with the 'religion' and 'charity' stuff. I would love to help people and sometimes do but in my world 'charity begins at home'!

As far as the 'spiritual healings' ---- what I have found is the different healers have different methods so don't say I saw one 'spiritist healing/surgery' and believe that is how all 'spiritist' healers work. Most do not have to go into the person physically, the 'trance state' is hard to detect on most, and normally there is no need to have specific 'expert dead surgeons' do the surgery. Although, this is all ok based on the 'uniqueness' of the healer ------ why not call in expertise or do what is necessary when necessary.

I 'believe' I have experienced very minor 'spiritual healings' on myself but it is difficult to prove to anyone else as it is all subjective ------ experience less sickness, healed quicker, suffered less pain and discomfort, etc. Honestly, I practice 'health' meditations periodically to avoid getting sick in the first place.

Of course, I would/have tried my 'spiritual healing' on many illnesses I experience but would always go seek 'medical professionals' for any operation or anything serious. Also, I try 'spiritual healings' on relatives/friends that are non believers, but have no idea whether they have any impact.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2016 12:07PM by spiritist.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: February 13, 2016 12:06PM

Gee, I was thinking that this sleight of hand with a little bit of chicken fat was debunked in the 70's or 80's, and this video is from '86!

Crap. Am I *that* old?

Posted by: saucie: My BF bought me anewPC ( )
Date: February 13, 2016 01:50PM

NO you're not that old and most of all, you are not as gullible

as some of these people who still by into this crap. I remember

that same phony doctor with the phony psychic surgery and the

chicken lives and chicken fat.

Sheesh.... people can be so gullible.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: February 13, 2016 01:54PM

saucie: My BF bought me anewPC Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> NO you're not that old and most of all, you are
> not as gullible
>
> as some of these people who still by into this
> crap. I remember
>
> that same phony doctor with the phony psychic
> surgery and the
>
> chicken lives and chicken fat.
>
> Sheesh.... people can be so gullible.

chicken livers*******

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: February 13, 2016 05:25PM

Brain Salad Surgery

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.