Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: February 15, 2016 05:51PM

I seen several pictures of the SLC temple and it looks like the upper center window is covered with a sheet of plywood.

Is this really the case, or is there some other reason for the way the window looks?

http://www.ldschurchtemples.com/saltlake/

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: February 15, 2016 05:57PM

The deacons keep breaking it.

It's not a window, it's the lord's gold plated, carved up "Holiness To Me" sign.

Posted by: Finally Free! ( )
Date: February 15, 2016 05:57PM

If I remember right, and it's been a while... I believe it's a gold leaf "tablet" that says something like "Holiness to the Lord" or something like that. I'm sure you can find a picture of it.

I did an image search for "SLC temple gold" on google and found a decent picture at the top.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: February 15, 2016 05:58PM

It's supposed to be gold leaf but you're right, it does appear to be boarded up.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: February 15, 2016 10:16PM

Finally Free is correct. It's a stone plaque that says--Holiness to the Lord, the House of the Lord, Built by the CJCLDS.

According to the Morg, in the Hebrew Scriptures the high priest wore a piece of jewelry with Holiness to the Lord on it once a year when he entered the Holy of Holies.

All Morg temples have Holiness to the Lord and the House of the Lord on them. Salt Lake is unique in that it looks like a plaque.

If you want a close up, go to The a Roof Restaurant in the Joseph Smith Building. It will be on about eye level.

Posted by: Serendipity ( )
Date: February 15, 2016 10:55PM

It says:

"Holiness to the Lord, The House of the Lord, Built by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Commenced April 6, 1853, Completed April 6, 1893"

http://www.google.com/search?q=significance+of+Holiness+to+the+lord+on+lds+temples&sourceid=silk&ie=UTF-8#imgrc=JHfVmu-HbshxoM%3A

Most other temples only have the "Holiness to the Lord, House of the Lord" carved somewhere on the temple

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: February 16, 2016 12:34AM

Thanks everyone, and I thought it was something tacky.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: February 16, 2016 05:02AM

No, you're spot on.

Posted by: Myron Donnerbalken ( )
Date: February 16, 2016 06:41AM

Plywood would add a touch of class, don't you think?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.