Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: sangou ( )
Date: February 18, 2016 05:00AM

There too many single women in the crazy church because the brain watch, of the been told god will marry them some day, not now in the where ever who knows.....???

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: February 18, 2016 05:30AM

It isn't only the Mormon church though dearie. There really is a man shortage. The following article highlights some of the reasons why:

http://nypost.com/2015/08/25/hey-ladies-here-are-8-reasons-youre-single/

quotable quotes: Consider dating a nonbeliever, even if it makes your grandma cry into her meat sauce.

“People who leave organized religion are disproportionately male,” Birger says. “Atheists and agnostics are also disproportionately male. An atheist meet-up would be a really good place to meet men.”

Or, “For the women who wait [to settle down], the dating pool gets much, much worse,” Birger says.
He likens it to a game of musical chairs. In the first round, fresh into the dating market, nearly every woman gets a chair. By the final round, the chances of losing soar to 50 percent.

For example, some 20 years ago a recent college-grad female confronted a dating market that had 117 recent college-grad men for every 100 women. Today that same woman, now 40, if still unmarried, faces a market in which nearly two-thirds of those formerly single men are hitched, and there are just 33 eligible men for every 50 women — 52 percent more women than men.

“None of this would matter if we were open-minded about who we dated,” Birger says. “The problem is, Americans — both men and women — have become more rigid about dating across socioeconomic boundaries.”

To find a mate, college-educated women should consider dating working-class men.

“In the future, we’re going to see more of what I call ‘mixed collar’ marriages,” Birger says.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: February 18, 2016 09:02AM

As a single well educated professional female I can tell you from experience the odds are against this.

I once dated a basketball player. I'm 6'3", he was 6'8", I was the same height as he was in Louboutins and I'm not going to mention any names. He was a nice, really good looking guy from a small town. I met his family and relatives. Very romantic. He didn't have the massive ego that a lot of pro ballplayers have. I went out with him to a local pub to meet some of his friends who wanted to meet me. Later, I asked him what the verdict was. He told me this is what they said: "Wow, she's really tall and attractive like you said but she's really smart...she's like a rocket scientist or something. Can you deal with that?"

That's what ended it. We went out for a few weeks but he was deathly afraid of his friends finding out he was going to the symphony, museums, art galleries and so forth. He did tell me he liked dating someone who wasn't a vacuous airhead -- such women were constantly throwing themselves at him -- but I was just too intellectual.

Guys have big egos. Even if there is mutual attraction it's difficult for a lot of them to emotionally accept a female who is socially or financially above them. I personally know of a case of a female doctor who quit practising because her lawyer husband had lost his job and got with a new firm at less pay and she didn't want to make more money than he did.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: February 18, 2016 10:32AM

"Guys have big egos. Even if there is mutual attraction it's difficult for a lot of them to emotionally accept a female who is socially or financially above them. "

Wow. What a generalization. Most guys that I know, over 30, are tired of pretty airheads. They may be fun for a few nights, but most guys appreciate a woman who has some independence, can think for herself & can be a partner instead of a shallow, insecure Barbie that needs constant attention. If they make more money, that's a bonus.

Date: February 18, 2016 11:59AM

and he liked my legs and my a** and not my brain...

Just tellin' it like it is -- :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2016 12:00PM by anybody.

Posted by: thatsnotmyname ( )
Date: February 18, 2016 09:45AM

And yet polygamy is not being reinstated. Wasn't it to help out women because there weren't enough men? No? Or was it to raise up seed? No? Help widows? No? Hmmm....

It is funny though isn't it, that from a CHURCH perspective this would be the time to reinstate it. And it never will be. What a funny God the Mormon God is...

Date: February 18, 2016 09:49AM

in the afterlife just as the FLDS place girls in this life?

the "Law of Placing"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Placement_marriage

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: February 18, 2016 10:35AM

Polygamy was just a ruse so Joseph wouldn't be called out by his followers for being an ignoble bastard ie, philanderer, adulterer, polyanderer, and bigamist.

The fact he allowed others in on his dirty little secrets was so they could be co-conspirators in his crimes, because it was still an inner circle thing up until he was martyred for the church of the ignoble bastard.

The women Joseph selected brought dowries and titles to their marriages to him. Including the orphaned minors. It was their dowries ie, inheritances he was after. Not them so much. He amassed some considerable wealth during his short life because of the consecration of his followers and his plural wives relinquishing everything they owned to him.

When he died it was all in his name, not in the church' name. So when Brigham sued Emma over Joseph's estate naturally he lost. It became Emma's by right of her intestate share of his estate. Brigham was outraged, as he appointed himself the next prophet elect and headed west - but there was nothing he could do about it.

Date: February 18, 2016 10:54AM

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 18, 2016 09:53AM

Plllllleeeeeeeeeasssssssssssse:

Tell me something New, Something I didn't already Know (OK?)

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: February 18, 2016 10:01AM

I wonder if there are more disparities and differences in Class than there use to be. I look at society and see a constant struggle for families to live higher on the hill, further away in the suburbs, within the boundaries of the "white" schools, away from inner cities. Supposedly so that their kids can marry rich and make the right networking connections. (Alpine, Draper, East Bountiful, Huntsville, N. Ogden come to mind?).

But as more diverse people come, the cities decay further and further. The stratification of society is getting larger the middle class is shrinking. It's not like it was in the 1950's when everyone was middle class. People didn't care about what neighborhood they lived in, less diversity, everyone went to church even apostates (I'm told). Everyone seemed to be married by age 22. Less ostentatious shows of wealth.

We are turning into an Edwardian society once again where everyone has their social place.

Date: February 18, 2016 10:05AM

Posted by: csuprovograd ( )
Date: February 18, 2016 10:36AM

The us vs them mentality is alarmingly omnipresent. We are unified in our disdain for some group somewhere. There are so many different ethos that make up an individual that finding another person who matches our own set of preferences (income level, educational level, Facebook/anti-Facebook, political affiliations, sports team allegiances, Netflix or Hulu, religious affiliations or lack thereof, comedy vs drama, tv or movies, physical activity vs sedentarianism, gambling/vs non-, smoking, am/fm, herbs, alcohol, nudism, swinging, musical tastes, sexual preferences, etc., etc.) that many people end up alone or in a group that doesn't quite fit.

Making the choice to avoid others who don't match our worldview cause many to be alone or in very small clusters which seems to cultivate a greater fear or anger toward other people who don't fit their own pile of preferences. We're advancing society into strict little compartments that we use to define and profile the rest of society. This will be our downfall.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.