Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jaded ( )
Date: February 19, 2016 11:34AM

She still looked like Scout, even at 89. Loved Mockingbird; not so crazy about Watchman.

Peace, Harper. You were an American icon.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: February 19, 2016 11:58AM

Sad news. I was not the least bit crazy about Go Set a Watchman, they never should have railroaded her into publishing it. To Kill a Mockingbird is one of the most impactful books that has been or ever will be written.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: February 19, 2016 11:41AM

Beautiful book. Thanks Ms. Lee. Rest in peace.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: February 19, 2016 12:04PM

She lived to be a golden age. She touched many lives with her genius and her humanity. She made the world a better place for having lived.

R.I.P. Harper Lee.

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: February 19, 2016 05:33PM

"To Kill A Mockingbird" has always been one of my favorite books. It's one of those that makes you smile and breaks your heart at the same time. I re-read it every couple years or so, and each time I get something more out of it.

To tell you the truth, I didn't like "Go Set a Watchman" either. It's one that I won't be re-reading. I found it quite depressing. Not gonna give away any spoilers, but suffice to say I wish it would've stayed locked up in whatever vault it was in forever!

R.I.P. Harper Lee.

You're right. She DID look like Scout till the end!

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: February 19, 2016 05:54PM

"To Kill a Mockingbird" is one of my all time favorite books and one I read again at least once a year. I even had a dog named Jem because of that character.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: February 19, 2016 06:11PM

I too have always loved Mockingbird! Harper Lee was very talented. She said she was not trying to write such an important novel, just telling about her experiences growing up. Humble and talented.

I also loved the film. Gregory Peck kicked butt as Atticus. All of the acting was great.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2016 06:11PM by verilyverily.

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: February 20, 2016 05:51PM

One of my favorite books, I still re-read it every few years. I think Harper Lee was senile by the time Go Set a Watchman was published and the Executor of her estate tricked, bamboozled, or in some other way committed fraud to get that manuscript published. I haven't read it (I don't know if I ever will) but people tell me it reeks of an uncompleted, early-type manuscript for To Kill a Mockingbird, and just reads as incomplete. It sounds very much like it was published for someone to make a fast buck, maybe possibly before someone was about to die? I had also heard that Harper Lee had had a stroke in the few years before that book was published.

Still, great woman, don't blame her for scorning fame and refusing to publish again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2016 11:51PM by midwestanon.

Posted by: bona dea unregistered ( )
Date: February 20, 2016 07:08PM

I am not sorry I read Watchman, but it was no Mockingbird and it did show a less admirable version of Atticus. I too wonder if Lee was somehow tricked or pressured.

Posted by: lue ( )
Date: February 20, 2016 08:56PM

Best book ever. Rip

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.