Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: NevermoNike ( )
Date: February 22, 2016 11:58PM

For about five years, faith has never been an issue between my best friend and I. I'm atheist, she's Mormon, and that was that, there never seemed to be a problem. However, more recently, she's been drawn more heavily into the church. Now it's not just Sundays- many days out of the week, we can no longer hangout as her time is taken, and even in her free time she now seems to enjoy reading scripture and engaging more with Mormon friends. Even when together, she seems to be far more religious, uptight, and lacking in personality. Is this it? Have I lost her for good? Is there any way to get her back? Or do I just need to accept the facts of life?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 23, 2016 12:29AM

Don't get your hopes up.

You don't give your age, nor enough added data to make a guess, but if she is between 18 and 20, mormonism has her thinking about getting married or going on a mission. In either case, she'd want to be putting on a more serious mormon facade. She'd want people and her ghawd to be taking note of her reverence and spiritual diligence.

If she gets what she's looking for, then she's incurred a debt and has to remain faithful to pay that debt. If she doesn't get what she's looking for, then she has to try harder! Or pile up enough CogDis to cause ye olde breakout.

Posted by: NeverMoJohn ( )
Date: February 23, 2016 02:01AM

As a nevermo, it has always seemed to me that one of the points of mormonism is to keep mormons so busy with other mormons and mormon obligations that they don't have time to spend with non-mormons.

Posted by: Topper ( )
Date: February 23, 2016 02:31AM

It's better to go your separate ways now, as friends. You can take away some pleasant memories of that phase in your life.

Posted by: Pista ( )
Date: February 23, 2016 04:42AM

Ask her. Kindly tell her what you've observed and how it makes you feel. Share your concerns. Ask her if she's happy. Ask her if she still values your friendship. The Mormons are spending hours every week telling what to think, feel, and do. The least your could do is let her know that you're interested in her and her life.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 23, 2016 05:24AM

I agree with Pista about sharing your concerns with your friend. I would ask her if she only wants to live, work and associate with Mormons, or if she wants to be able to relate to others as well.

However, I would not get your hopes up. The Mormon church does keep its members very busy with church activities.

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: February 23, 2016 08:22AM

Sure, start believing in Magic.....

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: February 23, 2016 12:00PM

Sounds like she found a niche in her level of activity in Mormonism that is giving her what she wants and needs, at least, at the present time. She is most likely getting a lot of positive affirmative support also.
Who knows how long it will last?
She is changing her World View which may or may not be as compatible as before. She may be very pressured to extend her new found "happiness" to you.
It's usually gradual and people don't notice what they are doing to others. But if she thinks she is doing what she things is right for her, that is how she will behave.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: February 23, 2016 02:33PM

Here's a thought: show a bit of interest about her "reading the scriptures" and ask what exactly she learns; not boilerplate general stuff, but the actual verses and what they mean. You may learn that she's only reading prescribed little bits, since the BoM doesn't really have *any* LDS doctrine in it, and the rest is contradictory just plain mish-mashy (I'm thinking of the D&C).

Posted by: sunnynomo ( )
Date: February 23, 2016 03:09PM

So sorry to hear this. My son's best friend left on his mission three years ago, and in the year he has been back, they have not really reconnected. He (the friend) did leave to go to BYUI, but there are few texts, calls - when he is home, not much time together. He has, fortunately, not pressured my son at all about the church, and I am relieved that he is not engaged yet, but we do miss him. These two were inseperable. His buddy has agreed to be in my son's upcoming wedding so there's that.

We still adore this buddy - I think he and my son will always be friends, but people do drift apart. Keep the door open. Who knows what tomorrow brings?

Posted by: Titanic Survivor ( )
Date: February 23, 2016 03:55PM

Maybe she has reached a point where she feels more secure as a less individual person. The larger organization is providing her psychological security she needs. She wants to blend in, be part of this larger thing (mormonism in her case). This is not uncommon.

Posted by: NevermoNike ( )
Date: February 24, 2016 06:41PM

Thank you all for your advice. I did speak to her about the state of our relations and my concerns. She said she was becoming more and more involved in the church trying to reconfirm her faith as she was seriously questioning her beliefs. I did not push her to disbelieve, only saying that she should follow her mind, but it will be interesting to see where this goes.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.