Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: February 24, 2016 11:14PM

Several years ago, I resigned from the mormon church and I have no desire to go back. But I also know several people who have been excommunicated. A few people I know of got excommunicated and came back more than once. Does anyone here know how many times a person can be excommunicated and later get re-baptised? Is there a lifetime limit after you get ex'd so many times that the church eventually bans you from membership for the rest of your life? I was hoping to hear stories here of how many excommunications anyone here knows of, happening to the same person, and what the process is for someone who wants to come back after six or seven excommunications, if that even happens. It's kind of comical in a way, kind of like having multiple marriages and divorces with the same person. Some people can't make up their mind on what they want.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2016 11:15PM by azsteve.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 24, 2016 11:24PM

"The answer, my friend, is blowing in the wind,
The answer is blowing in the wind."

And by 'wind, PP&M surely meant Holy McGhost.

Date: February 24, 2016 11:43PM

I thought it would be interesting if there are a few former Bishops or former Stake Presidents here who can recall some of the same people returning to church courts multiple times. I know a few individuals like this. They like having lots of sex outside of marriage and always either can't keep their mouth shut about it, or they get caught.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: February 25, 2016 12:11AM

I don't know how many times someone may actually have been dunked to get back into the church, but there most likely isn't a limit on being excommunicated or rebaptized.

No matter when you were last excommunicated the Mormon church for sure will dead dunk its former members ASAP after we die off. Including those of us who resigned.

Which makes no sense to me any more than the dead dunking does. One minute they ex someone. Then that person dies, and they rush to rebaptize him/her.

How schizophrenic is that?!

Posted by: aposenai ( )
Date: February 25, 2016 12:20AM

Did not know they baptize excommunicated and resigned members. Do you have where it says this for reference?

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: February 25, 2016 07:34AM

It gave the exact wordings for dead dunking.

When a dead person is redunked the words are identical to live baptisms except "who is dead" and who was excommunicated are added or "who had their name removed" in the case of resigned dead members.

This information has since been removed but is still policy.

Date: February 26, 2016 12:26AM

Maybe when they re-baptise the person after they die, the words should be something like "... who is dead and who was excommunicated for screwing his neighbor's wife, got baptised again, then screwed his wife's sister, and who was excommunicated again". Wouldn't that be faith inspiring? Then the person getting proxy dunked for them would go home feeling unclean.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: February 25, 2016 12:18AM

I don't know what the limit is, but I knew someone who was ex'd and went back three times. That was a long time ago. I've no idea what he's up to now.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: February 25, 2016 12:35AM

This subject came up some years ago and the answer given by a bishop was just two. After that, you leave/screw-up, I guess they are done with ya!

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: February 25, 2016 12:36AM

it depends on how many tithing dollars you are willing to give.

Posted by: leftfield ( )
Date: February 25, 2016 10:07AM

Ding! Ding! Ding! Winner-winner, chicken dinner!

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: February 26, 2016 07:12PM

+1

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: February 25, 2016 12:37AM

Man and his first wife joined the church as converts. Then the guy committed adultery and was exed. So he takes discussions gets rebaptized (and divorces the first- marries the new gf_convert). He gets the Aaronic which is weird because they embarrass him by forcing him to function as a sacrament-blessing priest. He becomes an elder for a few years and cheats on wife #2!

So he finds a new gf_convert and repeats the previous steps. This time he behaves himself long enough to have to have the priesthood restored. And a new BP thinks he will make a great counselor! So now he becomes a hp. He divorces wife #3, but falls off the wagon again by not keeping his pants on. He confessed that he was exploring two different strippers! He is exed for the third time.

So right now he continues to attend as an investigator, but there is a "hold" on him getting baptized until he repents or pays the church a boatload of $.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: February 25, 2016 12:39AM

Jesus said "seven times seventy." For what that's worth to TSCC.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: February 27, 2016 09:29PM

If past experience means anything, I'd say that the more money you give to LDS, Inc. and the more high ranking friends you have in the organization the more times you will be received back and the faster it will happen.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: February 25, 2016 11:29AM

I have a stepbrother that should've been ex'd at least 50 times over. Why? Because while he was inactive for many years he was committing adultery on his lovely wife. She stayed with him out of love for him and their children, and dependence on finances. More women would've left. She has the resilience of Hilary Clinton, but a sweeter disposition.

He finally laid off the booze, cleaned up his act, went back to church. Voila. He was made counselor in the bishopric.

For all the affairs he had, being excommunicated multiple times would've been the least of his worries.

I doubt he was ex'd even once.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2016 11:30AM by Amyjo.

Posted by: EXON46 ( )
Date: February 25, 2016 11:38AM

70 x 7

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: February 25, 2016 11:53AM

A former bishop turned out to be a pedo. He'd get arrested, charged, excommunicated, get out of jail, then come back and get rebaptized.

Happened four times with this perv, that I know about. Even worse, the current Bishop let him interact with the families with smaller kids.

Date: February 26, 2016 12:06AM

It used to be that if you were excommunicated and then later wanted to come back, that you had to come back through your old bishop and ward where you were excommunicated from, or the current bishop of that ward. Any un-resolved issues from the original excommunication had to be closed to the satisfaction of any victems before you could come back.

They definitely don't do that any more. Now you could probably rape the bishop's daughter, tell him the bitch deserved it, move to another ward, and one year later get re-baptised, forgiven of all sins. Then they would threaten the victem's membership if they don't just forgive. What a crazy religion.

Posted by: iplayedjoe ( )
Date: February 26, 2016 12:54AM

Most likely depends on income bracket and previous tithing level.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: February 26, 2016 04:18AM

Whatever they say, is based primarily on local custom and the opinions of whoever runs the show. There's very little consistency except that the whole thing is staged to benefit the biases of bishops, stake presidents, and their favored minions.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: February 26, 2016 07:08PM

I've heard that 3 is the magic number. I'm sure there are exceptions. The mormon church runs on exceptions.

I think I have a brother that's in for the 3rd time. He can't seem to keep his pants on. It's all hush hush because my parents are trying to put lipstick on a pig while the pig is cleaning out their bank account. They all deserve each other.

Posted by: Rusty Shackleford ( )
Date: February 26, 2016 10:18PM

I always heard that you had one chance to come back after being ex'ed. After that, you were done.

Posted by: anon1500 ( )
Date: February 27, 2016 01:52PM

Yeah, that's for adultery.
What about apostasy? Doesn't it differ from sin to sin?

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: February 27, 2016 05:44PM

Until their tithing money runs out.
You can do pretty much anything and get back in if you are willing to pay and obey continually. But who wants to?

It would be difficult to do something more heinous than the EVIL CULT has already done as an entity: The EVIL CULT is guilty of many murders, all kinds of financial crimes, adultery, etc., and the worst of all, CHILD PREDATORY BEHAVIOR in honor of JS, the slimy founder. So, how can they pass judgement on others? I know they do it all the time, SLIMY EVIL CULT.

Posted by: fluhist ( )
Date: February 27, 2016 06:35PM

I had an aquaintance who was excommunicated and he told me that it had been explained to him that he could not be excommunicated twice for the same thing (in his case adultery). He said that if you got back into TSCC and then spoke against the leaders or something similar that you could be ex-communicated for that and then repent and come back. He knew of one person who had been exed 3 times. I remember commenting "Why bother?", and laughing.

As others have said in the thread, there would be exceptions I am sure, and a lot of it would be at the 'inspiration' of the local Church leaders.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: February 27, 2016 09:20PM

Not true. I know for a fact my brother is back in after being x'd twice(maybe 3x) for having problems with his pants zipper.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2016 09:20PM by madalice.

Date: February 28, 2016 06:58PM

That doesn't make any sense. So the first time they x you and after you get re-baptised you can commit that same sin all you want and never be kicked out? I knew a woman who was single had three kids and had been excommunicated three times. I don't think she killed anybody nor spoke against the church. The one-excommunication-per-sin-type doesn't seem logical.

Posted by: lue ( )
Date: February 27, 2016 06:49PM

I told my bishop I wanted to be excommunicated and he said I had no worthiness issues , so I am sure that I could be re baptized again If I request it

Posted by: PhuckTheChurch ( )
Date: February 27, 2016 09:10PM

I've been excommunicated once already. My goal is to go for the limit of two times. The first time was really fun. I bet the second time will be even better.

Date: February 28, 2016 06:51PM

Why would you go back, now that you know the church is just a scam?

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: February 27, 2016 10:16PM

Three ex coms and permanently out.

That used to be the stated number. SO, a person could supposedly get ex commed twice and be able to come back twice, for a total of being in three times. The third ex com supposedly put a person out permanently. But, Just as others noted, MORmONISM is based on exceptions. I will say this too. IF a person has been exed even ONCE they might come back to supposed full fellowship but they were really tainted for ever, and that for ever includes in the next life, In MORmON heaven, even if they attained it, they would always be a second class citizen there.

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: February 28, 2016 01:15PM

An in-law of mine is quite a good-looking guy with a personality that made him quite a girl magnet. He was TBM, but couldn't withstand temptation. After three adultery incidents he's now in some state of Excom or permanent disfellowship. He isn't allowed to go to the temple ..

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 28, 2016 03:05PM

Remember; If you're high visibility to the Morg, they'll reinstate U after you're dead: Helmuth Huebner, John D Lee among those...

apparently, No Permission from the deceased is asked or required, ha ha

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2016 03:06PM by GNPE.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.