Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cousin ( )
Date: March 02, 2016 11:35AM

I don't know who the main personalities are anymore and I read the posts about Bednar and decided to look on youtube.

It took 2 seconds and I was done with him. The guy looks like one disturbed character. Seriously scary. I would avoid him at all costs. I am saying this as someone who was abused as a child. No warmth or human kindness at all.

GNPE said this about him in a post:

"he's about as Christ-Like as Hitler or that guy in charge of North Korea".

He would have made a very good Nazi. War criminal material.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: March 02, 2016 11:40AM

That's pretty much it.

No warmth or human kindness at all, but he is virtuoso with that special brand of smug ignorance/arrogance the Mormons are known for.

I honestly think his wife's life is a living hell. Can't even imagine what it would be like to have THAT as your father.

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: March 02, 2016 01:03PM

From what I've seen, his sons are successful and well-adjusted. He was somewhat normal when they were growing up. It was only after he acquired his holy apostolic office that he started to freak out in private and struggle to control himself in public.

Posted by: idahobanana ( )
Date: March 02, 2016 06:03PM

I was at Ricks College back in the day when he was President there.
Went to a fireside with him and his wife - only 40 or so students in attendance.
He was a lot more mellow, a lot more easy going, and a lot more normal then.

I remember seeing a huge shift in GC when I heard his talks.

I liked him at Ricks.

As a GA, his talks were mind numbing - he kept trying to redefine words and sound all intelligent - implying that us lowlifes couldn't keep up with his obviously superior mental skills.

It was such a turn off, and I remember wondering, even as a TBM what the hell had happened to the man.

Date: March 02, 2016 11:42AM

OH. This just in. The never-mo's at work this Morning were talking about Bednar and were horrified. Heard his famous lines on you-tube or one of those.

What an ambassador for the Mormon church! Go Bednar!

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: March 02, 2016 12:03PM

To me, Bednar looks "processed" - programmed to say what he says.

And Mrs. Bednar looks sad and empty.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: March 02, 2016 12:22PM

I, for one, am beyond THRILLED with Pickles.

He replaced The Boyd in fine fashion! Keep being a DICK, mr. Bednar. Dig that grave for this cult.

The leadership must have one loose nut at all times I guess.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: March 02, 2016 12:23PM

He's famous now! He's got the attention of the Human Rights Campaign. http://www.hrc.org/blog/mormon-elder-gets-it-wrong-declares-there-are-no-homosexual-members-of-the

Date: March 02, 2016 12:27PM

"that special brand of smug ignorance/arrogance the Mormons are known for".

Perfect. The words I've been looking for to describe their uniqueness.

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: March 02, 2016 04:21PM

I love myself
I love myself so
I took myself to a picture show
I put my arm around my face
I got so fresh I slapped my face.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: March 02, 2016 04:41PM

A little trivia.

I checked out a textbook co-written by Bednar when he taught at U of A. His degrees are in organizational behavior and I wanted to see what he had to say about women in the workplace. He has basically written off women in the workplace as (I'm paraphrasing) too insignificant a topic to even discuss in his book. He covered the whole topic in only one or two sentences at most.

At Ricks I never saw him promote a single woman and I heard some of the men complain because he put less qualified "priesthood" in positions that should have logically been fill by qualified women who had taught there for decades. Some men didn't even want the positions he "assigned" them to. There was no interviewing after the jobs were posted. He halted the job interviews and just made appointments.

One woman was offered a position that was presented as a promotion because of the high sounding title but it required more hours and less pay. In the end the job went to a man who demanded higher pay because he would be away from his family so much.

Yeah. Bednar is a doozy.

Posted by: fool ( )
Date: March 02, 2016 04:42PM

Becoming an apostle is as bad for the brain as Alzheimer's. As time goes on more and more thoughts are erased and less and less of the brain gets used.

Reference "^" on Dallan H. Oaks

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: March 02, 2016 04:50PM

When he frightened that boy to tears on the carpet, my childhood memories of religious abuse came rushing at me to the point of revulsion. He's a shitty man for a shitty church.

Posted by: Anon for this ( )
Date: March 02, 2016 05:29PM

Well now his talk has made huffingtonpost etc I got to ask my relatives back home what they know about their neighbors. My cousin is a surgeon and lives very near all the apostles in their little commune in North Salt Lake above the lovely oil refinery. His wife is a nomo and said that she believes the Bednars own multiple homes (Rexburg?) and that the wife is seldom in North Salt Lake, maybe staying with the kids? She was not sure.

Posted by: Anon this time ( )
Date: March 02, 2016 05:43PM

I know Susan Bednar loved living in Arkansas and hated to leave for Idaho. She disliked the weather in Idaho and missed the warmer climes of Arkansas. I don't think they bought anything in Rexburg but they may have kept some land or a house in Arkansas. Susan also missed the prestige David had at the university in Arkansas. Ricks wasn't known anywhere else besides Mormon-dumb so it was a come down for them.

Sure hope she enjoys all the worldwide prestige they are getting as "apostle and wife" because they've lost their souls to get it.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: March 02, 2016 06:08PM

Barring an early death, he's almost certain to inherit the Big Chair some day.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: March 02, 2016 06:54PM

Yup.

And any hopes of a future Chairman with a human heart have hereby been dashed.

There was a time I thought "things will get better when packer dies off and the old school guys are gone, then the younger (I was thinking bednar's age was in his fifties I think) ones take control, because they'll be more accepting". Guess I was dead wrong.

Date: March 02, 2016 07:00PM

Bednar is in his 60's but he's been in his dotage for decades.

Posted by: Anon i mouse ( )
Date: March 02, 2016 06:59PM

I would imagine that he was the general authority chosen to deliver this message to the world for the morg. It could have been one of many and certainly could have been done better. But, the message remains the same one that of anti lgbt and a message of pompous Mormon superiority and know it all. I would hate to try to mind read for either of them. Though they both seem extremely stressed and somewhat mortified doing it. I am sure there is only trouble for whomever delivers the message and it is not received well. In the morg there is always a human to blame....a head to roll or someone to ex. No matter to the mo god that this message...no matter how given...is anti human.

Posted by: Lover ( )
Date: March 02, 2016 07:06PM

I hate Bednar.

Date: March 02, 2016 08:46PM

I think a lot of people do. Makes me wonder if they receive lots of hate mail. That could be why they looked so haggard. It cannot be fun being the LDS poster boy/couple for Prop 8 and all things related to the Mormon stance on LGBT relations. I wouldn't wish that job on my worst enemy. Bednar must be low man on the totem pole at G15 towers. But, if he volunteered for the job, he's a real schmuck.

Posted by: heat27 ( )
Date: March 02, 2016 07:06PM

I'd like to smack that smug look off his face

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: March 02, 2016 07:12PM

I've always called him BED-the BOYS-nar

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: March 02, 2016 08:14PM

And his wife looks like a beaten-down abuse case.

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: March 02, 2016 10:05PM

So Bednar is to religion as Ted Cruz is to politics? Smarmy Smugness to the point of excess.

Posted by: anaiiii ( )
Date: March 03, 2016 03:27AM

I would love to learn to autotune the bednar talk... I think it's easier for me to leave with this type of leadership though.

Date: March 03, 2016 10:18AM

He is probably gay himself. It seems like the most vocal religious
opponents are. They had no tolerance for themselves now none for other people.

Date: March 03, 2016 12:24PM

For some reason the word "smarmy" come to mind.

All I know is I will take my "inclination" any day over Bednar's inclination to be a condescending self righhteous ass who can't even answer a question straightforwardly.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: March 03, 2016 03:53PM

I find that watching his wife is very telling. She has a frown tattooed on her forehead. I've heard him throw her under the bus by his outrageous insensitive comments. Seems to me he has been a terribly authoritative, arrogant, husband with no respect for his wife. He certainly does not show any love toward her or even kindness. She seems trapped and stuck and embarrassed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2016 03:54PM by SusieQ#1.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: March 03, 2016 08:03PM

She has sadness and anxiety stamped all over her face. It's like she is constantly thinking, "Please, God, don't let me make a mistake or do anything that he will punish me for later."

That is the CLASSIC sign of an abused wife. I bet he is an SOB to live with. He was probably difficult to live with before. And now, I would guess that he is IMPOSSIBLE. He probably thinks he is God Jr.

He may smile, but notice - his eyes stay icy-cold. I think he is one very nasty dude.

Posted by: amiable ( )
Date: March 04, 2016 12:04PM

I agree 100%.

Posted by: ChubbyTheFat ( )
Date: March 04, 2016 09:41AM

Bednar is in his own special category of evil. I grew up around people who would kill another person for a small price and even they had their moments of kindness towards people. Even though I have been out of the church for more than a year, I pity those who feel that they cannot leave; it will be a terrible day for the "15 million" when he gets his First Presidency spot.

Posted by: LongTimeListener ( )
Date: March 04, 2016 10:17AM

He seems almost "Programmed" for want of a better term.

Call him the "Utahn Candidate"

But he's no Frank Sinatra or Denzel Washington either....

;-)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.