Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jonny ( )
Date: March 02, 2016 04:00PM

Ok, so this is mo related. I am in bed sick (still,, actually got worse this past week). My house is a wreck. My dog was laying up here with me. I left the sliding door open so she can go into the yard whenever, it's pretty nice out and I can't do the stairs a million times a day when she hears a bird.

So I hear a car pull into the driveway and she gets all excited. I was like, no, brother isn't home yet. Plus we can hear his thumping old saturn from blocks away. She went down anyway. I heard the van go off and looked out my bedroom window and saw the van.

I heard female voices and heard the gate unlatch. Ummmmmmm. Spot got down there though and I heard them say, hi puppy.

So I went down, figuring this is the wife that is trying to buy my house. Well, she had gotten back in and was pulling out, and there i am at my gate like, wtf? She waved all cutsie.

So, I get that she is super excited to see the house she is going to buy, probably had a friend with her. I had the top of my hair up like pebbles, and sick, reading glasses on, and would have coughed and gagged the whole time if I had talked.

Plus the house really is bad right now. I can't do anything. It really sucks. But there is no way I would have let her in today.

So, there has also been another older lady that has driven around a few times, I suspect a parent of the kids, and somehow these "kids" are buying a 180.000 house in their early 20/s. I don't get it, but i know tons of parents help out.

So, is this normal? I know mormons have boundary issues. This was a close call. It's still my fucking house!! Make an appointment!!

Geez. Yes I know they are mormons. I looked them up after signing the offer. I still don't know if it's all going to work out, but it's in the works. But chill, and call your realtor and make an appointment.

I know they will get to go through annd such and I really am happy to walk them through and tell them everything. But just showing up? What made her think that was ok? No car in the driveway? I don't have a car. I am embarassed about the condition of the yard, snow melting and dog doo doo everywhere. All kinds of mess. I was sick in the fall too and coulnd't do anything then either.

I just feel like it was an invasion. Maybe it's just me. On lots of drugs. my poor dog was so excited to meet new people too. She was bummed. I'm cranky too. got 2 hours of sleep.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 02, 2016 04:16PM

we only saw the home when we first looked at it and then the walk through, and it took about 2 months to get all the paperwork and appraisal done. We would drive by, but we would have never thought of getting out or asking to go through the house, even if we wanted to.

I don't know what the "rules" are.

Posted by: Finally Free! ( )
Date: March 02, 2016 04:19PM

Nope, that was an invasion of your property. It's not their house yet, it may never be their house. A signed offer is not a title. There's still a lot of work to do and things can still fall through. It's still your property and they have no right to come over into your private back yard unannounced.

Please contact your realtor and have them talk to their realtor to explain that property viewings need to be scheduled, and preferably a realtor (yours or theirs) should be with them during any and all viewings. A third party is protection for them as well as you. If something went missing in your house it would be your word against theirs for example. If nothing else your dog could have been let out and lost.

Drive by's are one thing, they can do that all day long, but walking onto your property and coming into your gated back yard is unacceptable.

Mormon or not, that was inappropriate.

Posted by: Topper ( )
Date: March 02, 2016 04:27PM

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: March 02, 2016 04:40PM

Even for Mormons, that would be considered inappropriate as until they actually close escrow and move in, it's not their property yet. At least in some heavily Mormon communities, someone walking onto property that isn't theirs is likely to get the intruder shot. I'm not even talking about those gun nuts whose last name I can't mention, but law abiding Mormons who happen to own guns.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2016 04:41PM by adoylelb.

Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: March 02, 2016 04:48PM

I remember when I first moved into my own home in UT I was in culture shock. Not bad enough being a nevermo in a small TBM town but it was very upsetting to have the boundaries of my home "violated". People demanding things like knocking on the door in the early am and calling before 9am and then getting all annoyed when you don't answer. Culligan man used to walk in without even knocking. One time I was in my nightgown ...that was the end of our soft water.

not

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: March 02, 2016 04:53PM

I've seen special signs that can be attached to your realtor's FOR SALE sign that say "Shown by appointment only - Do not disturb occupants".

If I were you I'd ask your realtor to get one for you. There's no guarantee it will be respected but it might help. Or maybe they make one a little more forceful that says, "Trespassers will be prosecuted" but when selling a house you may wish to be a little less intimidating.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 02, 2016 04:59PM

I would not have dreamed of visiting a property without my realtor, who had already secured permission to visit at a given time. The advantage for me of working with a realtor is that she knew the market well, and she always listened carefully to my feedback on each property. Within three weeks she knew what I wanted to such a great degree that she called me and told me that she had found my home (and she was right, it was perfect. :)

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: March 02, 2016 05:27PM

That kinda thing can get you shot 'round these parts!

Date: March 02, 2016 05:36PM

Well, I immediately texted my Realtor. I don't ever call her anymore if I can avoid it, I want a record of everything.

The offer has been approved by the bank, but that's it. There is still inspection, them getting their loan, etc. It won't close, if it does, for at least 45 days. Theirs is one of several offers, just the one we submitted first.

It's a short sale though the sale price is more than we owe, but Realtor commissions will eat up a bit of that.

So maybe they think it's cool? Yeah, they don't get the keys till settlement. I did read the contract. Duh.

She just did her "oops, didn't know you were there, tee hee" wave and left.

I just really feel so crappy and am really sensitive about how it looks.

But yeah, I thought it was not right. There is no more sign up to put appointment only, and I am not showing it right now as we have multiple good offers.

Like I said, I get the excitement. We built the house. I dragged my 3 year old up here every day.

I even mentioned to the realtor last week that someone had pulled into the driveway and sat. I think she got it this time, and I hope this young lady felt very embarrassed.

Good Dog!!! She wasn't barking, she was happy whining with a sock in her mouth. she always gets an item closest to her to put in her mouth when she is happy and someone is coming in.

I think I will send an email too, just to make sure my realtor gets it. She knows I am home, that I am sick, etc.

I really should have fired her in the first place. But she was in my ward in Michigan growing up.....stupid me.....
Well, and my neighbor across the street is her junior partner. So much for throwing business their way.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: March 02, 2016 05:42PM

Only $180,000? For a house? Around here the average is probably $700,000 and in the adjoining towns over 1 million. Up the road thirty miles or so it is a lot cheaper.

Date: March 02, 2016 05:46PM

I'm in northwest utah county. It was a stretch at 136 when we bought it 15 years ago. It's a starter house. So yeah, I don't live in Cali......

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: March 02, 2016 06:25PM

That's some nerve. It's especially an invasion of privacy when you have pets in the yard.

It could be a problem to have someone interact with your pet, or even leave the gate open and let your dog run away. I think it would be a good to lock it, if you can.

Posted by: NeverMoJohn ( )
Date: March 02, 2016 08:13PM

Put a lock on the gate. I would hate to have my dog out on the street, because some idiot came by uninvited and just walked into my yard. She is lucky that the dog was friendly. I don't think my previous German Shepherd would have bit her under these circumstances unless given a really good reason, but she sure as hell would have run that woman out of the yard and off the property.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: March 02, 2016 08:29PM

In our part of the country the realtors leave the signage up until the sale is closed, sometimes even after, but attach a "Sale Pending" notification. This is not a bad idea because it lets interested buyers know that the pending sale may not go through and they still have a chance as long as the sign is up. When interested buyers call while the pending sign is up a good realtor would keep the numbers of interested parties just in case the buyer didn't get the mortgage. The seller doesn't have to keep showing it. Just keep the call back info. for "just in case".

Since you seem so sure the sale will go thru, why not get a "Private Property - No Trespassing" sign put up. Make the dopey realtor pay for and put it up. She owes you that.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: March 02, 2016 09:07PM

Thats bull shit.... she should have called first to set up an appointment instead of just walking into your back yard. Do you even know who this person is? Make sure next time that if you
have a fence with a gate, to lock the gate. I've never heard of
anyone do that. You need to check her so she doesn't do it again.
That is just total crap.

Posted by: the1v ( )
Date: March 02, 2016 09:14PM

Evil ideas from someone who has bought a home recently. Riders and inspections can be fun. You can ask for all sorts of stuff.

Send paperwork for a 60 day rentback agreement that buyer pays. They don't have to sign it but it will scare them.

Place a 72 hour required notice for all inspections and appointments. Do not interact personally with them. Require BOTH realtors be present for all visits. Everything goes through the realtor. They don't have to agree, you own the property and it's your rules. Put a signs up stating "Smile for the cameras" whether you have them or not.

I'd personally also send a notice of criminal trespass. Repeat performance will result in criminal charges.

Young they might be but need to learn boundaries.

Posted by: formermollymormon ( )
Date: March 02, 2016 09:20PM

I feel your pain jonny.

I moved to a new house and had a lock box on the old house so realtors could show it. They were supposed to call first before they showed it in case we were there. Most of our things were out, but there were still a few things stored away that we had to deal with. We accepted an offer and a contingency of the offer was that the house not be shown. The house listing went to "do NOT show". We found out it was still being shown so we locked the screen door so that they couldn't get to the lock box and would get a clue that they weren't supposed to show it. Someone broke the lock on the screen door, let people in the house and they bent the blinds and plugged the toilet. We made our realtor pull a report of who'd been in the house, but they still tried to cover for the other realtor. My husband was so mad that he completely taped up the lock box with an enourmous amount of duct tape. Probably an inch thick. Our realtor was not happy about that. Served him right for trying to cover the butt of the other realtor that broke the screen door. It's not just mormons that do this stuff, unfortunately.

Date: March 02, 2016 10:11PM

Yeah, I'm going to get a lock for the gate. I just have to double check about the gas meter, but I think they already read it from the street somehow. The gate hasn't been able to be opened till this past week anyhow cause of the snow.

While I am embarrassed about the condition of the yard, the snow did just finally melt. We had a ton, so there is yucky dog doo everywhere, and it blends in with weeds, grass and mud. So I don't even go out there unless pup begs me. It would have served her right.

I'm not positive this sale will go through, but it does look good. But still. Definitly going with the 72 hour thing. That's much better than 24.

I'm the one who didn't want to show it anymore. It was only shown for 5 days. It's a great deal.

I know it was her, cause I saw her and I saw her facebook crap.

sigh. I wish my dog had barked....but noooooo.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: March 02, 2016 10:37PM

ban private property

(semi srs)

Posted by: the1v ( )
Date: March 02, 2016 10:50PM

All it takes is a screwdriver and 10 minutes to change out the lock on the door as well. Really easy to do.

I buy the ones where you can reset to different keys with the little tool. Kwikset?

I change the front door key when we listed.

After we entered escrow, I reset the key to the front door. If there was an appointment that day I would change key for the lock to match the one in the keylock box before I left.

No appointment and the key didn't work. Worked like a charm.

Our eventual buyer was a bitch so I left a key to the front door in the box but not to the garage doors, and I took tje little tool...Oops!!!

I changed door locks and gate padlocks the first day on our new house.

Posted by: formermollymormon ( )
Date: March 03, 2016 02:03AM

Very smart. I will remember that for the next time I move.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: March 03, 2016 12:09PM

can confirm ~

IN B4 ~ Kwikset SmartKey locks =10/10 ~

IN B4 ~ http://www.kwikset.com/smartsecurity/re-key-technology.aspx

Posted by: Finally Free! ( )
Date: March 03, 2016 12:23PM

Yep, when we bought our first house my sister gave us a few good suggestions. One of the best was to get a locksmith to change the locks before we moved anything in.

We did so, especially since the house we bought had been a college student rental property, so who knows who had a key and might show up unannounced... The same holds true for a non-college house. How many keys were given to neighbors, friends and families over the years... At the very least, get the locks re-keyed.

We then went a step further and bought all new locks. We went with keypad locks with internet features... We no longer need to carry keys. If a friend or neighbor needs access, we can give them a code that is available only for the time we want them to have it, get emails/text messages when they use their codes, etc. We can even set the house to "vacation mode" to where no code works until we set the house back to "normal"... Highly recommended.

Posted by: Bite Me ( )
Date: March 03, 2016 11:27AM

I've been a real estate broker here in Utah for twenty years. The solutions are easy (even though) you shouldn't have to do them. Professional courtesy and common sense should govern.

1. Have the agent take the KB off the property and hand it to you. You can set it out by the front door when there is a legitimate appointment set in advance with you. Otherwise, keep it inside. No spontaneous drop-bys allowed.

-or-

Have the agent program the Keybox with a CBS (call before showing) code. This is easy to do. Without calling you or the agent for the special code they have to enter, they won't be able to open the keybox.

2. Put a lock on the gate to the backyard fence, assuming it is fenced.

3. The agent is an idiot for not having For Sale sign in the yard, unless you requested no sign. Sale Pending/Under contract sign riders are stupid. I NEVER put one on. I prefer to continue to generate leads from sign calls. Once you put a Pending sign on, the calls virtually stop. That is wasted opportunity.

4. Even for the party whose offer has been accepted, all subsequent visits to the property still require permission (via an appointment) from the seller. That goes for any inspections, appraisal, etc.

Problem solved.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2016 11:28AM by Bite Me.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: March 03, 2016 01:46PM

Use your realtor as outlined above by "Bite Me" !!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.