Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: 64monkey ( )
Date: March 02, 2016 10:41PM

How does a religious leader like Bednar get away with stating something so outrageous as "there are no homosexuals in the LDS church" without the media freaking out?

I wonder if the primary reason is because most critical thinking people know that religion is just made up
B.S. and hearing a religious leader spew crazy stuff is like visiting a mental health hospital filled with nutty people doing and saying nutty things. Would you really be surprised? And then if you tell your friends about the crazy things you heard and saw, I guess they'd say "what the hell did you expect". So Bednar and all his TBM followers are in a metaphoric mental hospital and normal people looking in just sigh and say "They are nuts, we should feel bad for them, what did you expect? It's not news now is it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: baura ( )
Date: March 02, 2016 11:27PM

If he weren't crazy, they wouldn't have chosen him to be in the big 15.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: March 02, 2016 11:30PM

I think your analysis carries a great deal of truth, 64monkey.

Posted by: jojo ( )
Date: March 02, 2016 11:48PM

I don't know, but I was always told not to put labels on people. Is that what he talking about?

Posted by: tripped ( )
Date: March 03, 2016 09:02AM

jojo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't know, but I was always told not to put
> labels on people. Is that what he talking about?

No, it's not.

He labeled them as non-existent.

It's difficult to think of a worse label.

Since there may be other people who read this who earnestly don't understand, I'd like to explain.

There is no excuse for being so cruel, and spreading that kind of bigotry and hate. People do not "choose" sexual orientation, and if you think that they do, you can test that in this way:

Try to "choose" other than who you are now. Change your sexual orientation.

If you can't do that, you must pretend that you DID do it, for the rest of your life. So if you are a female who is attracted to only males, you would be forced to only be with females.

Let's assume that that is such a foreign and repulsive concept, that you decide to not even try -

Even worse, you could never be with a male again. You will never have a partner, never have children or a family. Ever.

Bednar IS EVIL to inflict that kind of pain and confusion on so many people, especially young people, many who end up so confused and in such pain that they take their own lives. Bednar doesn't care. He wants them pretending, gone or dead.

Evil.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: March 02, 2016 11:51PM

He's really a prophet! There will be NO homosexuals in the church when they get done excommunicating them - especially those in committed relationships and married, legally!

Posted by: nitrameequc ( )
Date: March 03, 2016 12:08AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2016 01:44AM by nitrameequc.

Posted by: nitrameequc ( )
Date: March 03, 2016 12:08AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2016 01:44AM by nitrameequc.

Posted by: The Invisible Green Potato ( )
Date: March 03, 2016 12:22AM

You absolutely right 64monkey. A crazy person from a crazy organization saying crazy things is not newsworthy. What does make it a little bit newsworthy is the amusement factor. The link with Iran is mildly entertaining. If Bednar continues on his current path, he will make the national news eventually.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: March 03, 2016 07:38AM

Media? It's like crying wolf. They are like, "those crazy Mormons are at it again. Bunch o' weirdos!"

TSCC is wanting gay members to come out of the closet.

IRONIC that the lds church has more skeletons in its closets than it has members?

Posted by: Myron Donnerbalken ( )
Date: March 03, 2016 08:49AM

Bednar--like all LDS leaders before him--is guilty of committing plagiarism, in addition to committing stupidity. It was actually Iranian leader Mahmoud Ahmadinejad who originally said this:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-483746/We-dont-gays-Iran-Iranian-president-tells-Ivy-League-audience.html

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: March 03, 2016 08:34PM

They are eradicating gays just as vigorously as they can. So, in a very sick way, he wasn't lying.

You couldn't pay me to set foot in that country.

Posted by: Myron Donnerbalken ( )
Date: March 03, 2016 08:47PM

It is wrong that it should be happening in that particular country. Iran (Persia) is possibly the most important country ever in the history of Western Civilization, and it's full of a great and gentle people and a hugely rich culture. But that's what religion will do for you--spoil everything.

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: March 03, 2016 09:15AM

If there are no homosexual members of the church then why the need for the policy on gay marriage?

The media pays little attention to Bednob because he's a nobody. Holland, Monson, Uchtdork...they are all nobodies.

The only reason the cojcolds exists is that they have money. Lots and lots of money.

If the money runs out the cojcolds will be another backwoods Mormon cult. They'll have to sell all their property and have their annual meetings in a rented banquet hall.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: March 03, 2016 09:16AM

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1778525 ummm he might NOT be getting away with it so much

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: March 03, 2016 09:49AM

"In Iran, we don't have homosexuals, like in your country."

Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 03, 2016 10:06AM

the FACT that LDS, Inc. doesn't bother to reign him in or repudiate what he says/does with their imprimatur Speaks Volumes about where there (alleged) heart/mind is.... Bednar is a Jerk.period...

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: March 03, 2016 11:59PM

I just heard some Mormons try to say that he didn't really mean what he said, and he's been misinterpreted.
I made it clear that I quoted him saying there were "no homosexuals in the church" which is either a blatant lie or he's in denial or doesn't know what the word means. Probably all three.
How he gets away with this nonsense is shocking!!

Posted by: TXRancher ( )
Date: March 04, 2016 12:10AM

I want to know how the media is responding in SLC area. Can we get a report?? I see responses on social media and the web, but the SLC area I'm interested!

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: March 04, 2016 09:14AM

I think most religious people think their religion is right and all the others are wrong and/or crazy. They don't pay much attention to Mormonism since it's not a large percentage of the religious scene.

However, Mormonism has a pretty large financial presence in this country. For that reason alone I wish the media would take a closer look at it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.