Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: March 03, 2016 12:47PM

I think one of the other main issues with Bednar's recent quote blunder was the very beginning of his remarks:

"First I want to change the question..."

No Bednar you don't get to change the question. Answer the question with the Holy Ghost being your guide.

The answer you ended up giving clearly didn't have the Holy Ghost's input. You're in hot water douche bag.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: March 03, 2016 01:01PM

Forty some years ago on my mission we had a whole Zone conference based on that special Mormon bait and switch technique, "Don't answer the question they asked, answer the question they should have asked."

I see that disingenuous Mormon evasion is still alive and well now championed by Mr. Bednar.

As ridiculous as his other statement were, the part I found the most appalling was what you have pointed out here with, "First I want to change the question . ." which was of course, allowed.

These pompous arrogant men are so worshipped by their followers that they can get away with even changing the person's question to suit their agenda du jour.

CULT CULT CULT AND CULT.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2016 01:02PM by blueorchid.

Date: March 03, 2016 02:45PM

I would have loved to see him challenged to answer the question that was asked...

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: March 04, 2016 06:02PM

General Authorities never go before an audience of their peers. Therefore they never get challenged. They stay safely guarded behind the curtain of tested, indoctrinated subordinates that would rather throw down their lives than confront the obvious B.S. from a G.A. Outsiders need not apply because they wouldn't get past the first door.

Just once I'd like to throw Nelson and/or Bednar before the likes of Sam Harris or Christopher Hitchens. The Mormon boys would be toast in about two minutes.

Posted by: girlawakened ( )
Date: March 05, 2016 10:35PM

Your observation is spot on!

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: March 03, 2016 01:20PM

Exactly!

The second Bednob said this the guy should have stopped him in his tracks.
“No, no, no! Please answer my question! You don’t get to ask yourself a question, answer your own question and then tell me it’s the answer to my question!”

But no, in mormonism a twirl and two side steps used to redefine your bigotry is perfect normal.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: March 03, 2016 01:47PM

JOSEPH SMITH (praying in the Sacred Grove): "Dear God, which church should I join?"

GOD: "First, I want to change the question."

And a new religion is born...

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: March 03, 2016 02:58PM

+1

Posted by: iris ( )
Date: March 03, 2016 05:20PM

Big lol!

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: March 03, 2016 02:07PM

....well you could join the Methodists ..... but they likely won't have you so make up your own church.

And tell em I said so.

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: March 03, 2016 02:13PM

This was not an informal question and answer period at some stake in South America, this was a formal produced video made in Salt Lake with prearranged questions. This was no off the cuff accident. It was a declaration of policy.

Posted by: anonculus ( )
Date: March 03, 2016 03:02PM

Sounds like a great strategy for a Bishop's interview:

"Do you pay a fill and honest tithe?"

"First let me change the question..."

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: March 03, 2016 06:16PM

Do you obey the Law of Chastity?

First, let me change the question.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: March 03, 2016 03:02PM

Typical arrogance by Bednar and other LDS leaders. They think they get to set the rules, define the questions and the answers and think nobody is going to see anything out of order about that.
When someone changes the question, I discount everything they say next as invalid.
This was a staged program, and someone apparently asked the "wrong" question and needed to be corrected. Ya. right.
The ultimate denial is his remark that there are no homosexuals in the LDS Church was bizarre. Total head in the sand nonsense.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2016 03:03PM by SusieQ#1.

Posted by: Gheco ( )
Date: March 03, 2016 03:16PM

Mysteriously reloaded after disappearing from the interwebz.

http://youtu.be/9zA-rZQB-xQ

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: March 03, 2016 05:44PM

It was like a sucker-punch to the gut. What a sleazy, shameless, lying scumbag!

I would love to show it to my TBM DH, but honestly, to see something like this coming from somebody in his own church, I think it would feel like the church was performing hara-kiri on his soul. I don't want to cause him that kind of pain.

This video should be archived and kept around for the instructional viewing of all exmos, along with the warning that it may be pretty hard to swallow.

We all know what Mormons are capable of - but this guy takes it to a whole new low. Disgusting.

Posted by: amiable ( )
Date: March 04, 2016 12:02PM

Oh my dear god. Lying sack of shit. Lovely decor in the background, too.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: March 04, 2016 06:05PM

Puke!

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: March 03, 2016 03:18PM

If we are not defined by our sexuality, why is his wife sitting there as his sidekick? If Bednar were gay, he'd have a man flanking him, not his wife whom he used to find pretty.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: March 03, 2016 03:21PM

Notice she whispered something to him and he set his jaw and leaned forward. Some of us are still wondering what he said.
I watched it several times, I think she issued a warning like: be careful. I couldn't read her lips but this was my impression.
Anyone else notice that?? (Sorry, don't have the link handy.)

Posted by: liesarenotuseful ( )
Date: March 03, 2016 05:12PM

Yes I noticed. I also thought he turned a slightly darker shade

of red, and talked a little faster. I can imagine that he will

blame her for bad publicity.

Posted by: near ( )
Date: March 03, 2016 03:39PM

So your wife walks in the door and asks if you've been cheating ( which you have ) and your reply starts with,

" honey....I want to change the question "

Nice try snake...

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: March 03, 2016 04:41PM

Upon reflecting upon his answer a little more, I also noticed that he kept referencing the "gospel of Jesus Christ" but didn't include any teachings of Christ from the gospels--or the LDS scriptures for that matter--or any act that Christ performed that would support what he was saying.

It was as if he just used the Gospel of JESUS CHRIST like a battle axe to silence all opposition to his holy apostolic authority. But what he was saying didn't have any discernible association with Jesus Christ (big letters or small)--unfortunately just many of his followers.

"Oh God--save us from your followers."

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 03, 2016 06:21PM

As I posted earlier ... Bednar should Resign his office AND his membership in The Corp; Both/all would benefit!

Posted by: hausfrau ( )
Date: March 03, 2016 06:38PM

Right away that bothered me too. BTW, Huff Post just put this video up on Facebook!

Posted by: durhamlass ( )
Date: March 04, 2016 11:14AM

Posted by: Myron Donnerbalken ( )
Date: March 04, 2016 11:47AM

Bednar rides roughshod over members and common principles because people let him do it. How are people selected for these chats, anyway? I would like to be part of one someday, preferably with Pickle-Dick Bednar, but really, face time with any LDS GA would do. I'd be civil, too, although I might use words like "fuck."

Posted by: randeb ( )
Date: March 04, 2016 04:43PM

Let me change the answer - BEDNAR - and the mormon church - SUCKS (dry dirt)! The bums

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: March 05, 2016 08:06AM

Doubting Thomas Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> No Bednar you don't get to change the question.

Actually, he does get to change the question. In fact he can do anything he wants, because he is speaking unchallenged. That's the only way Mormonism can survive. The GAs speak and the thinking has been done. No questions, no challenges. One-way communication. That's why Mormons never do real interviews, press conferences or debates.

We all saw Jeffrey Holland's disastrous run-in with the BBC. He could not handle being challenged and was exposed as a flip-flopping deceptive liar.

Date: March 05, 2016 12:35PM

And why they use authors and so-called scholars to do their bidding and clarify doctrine and history.

Givens. Bushmans. Hales. Adam Miller and more.

Listen to the theories these apologists put out and you'll see how off base they are from the teachings of "the brethren." Yet they are encouraged, even PAID to spout their take on doctrine and history.

Posted by: kairos ( )
Date: March 05, 2016 09:30PM

First let me change your position in the church "Gong" you are no longer an apostle "Gong"

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.