Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: hausfrau ( )
Date: March 03, 2016 06:33PM

I'll be interested in comparing and contrasting your answers to four women ("sisters"), who answered this question last night in my local ward's Relief Society birthday dinner. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: March 03, 2016 07:00PM

I found a Betsy Johnson wool blend coat this evening at Lord and Taylor that was deeply discounted end of season, it went from $330 to $67 after using my birthday coupon and an additional in-store discount.

If it isn't joyful I'm feeling tonight, it's close enough.

It's a swing jacket, and is so comfortable and cozy warm I don't mind that winter is almost over. I'll use it for the rest of this season, and next winter too.

:)

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: March 03, 2016 07:16PM

Making art. Eating a beautiful meal with a nice cocktail or wine. Being with my favorite peeps. Traveling the world. Experiencing different cultures.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: March 03, 2016 07:33PM

Sharing a glass of wine with friends.

Loves from my little furry kid aka the dog.

Pulling off a really hard job.

Sitting in my garden with my furry kid, a glass of wine, and my rose Mother of Pearl is in full bloom.

And reading something deep and brilliant--that would obviously not be the BoM or anything at all Mormon.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: March 03, 2016 07:38PM

-when my grandchildren call

RB

Posted by: 6 iron ( )
Date: March 03, 2016 07:42PM

Boobies

Date: March 04, 2016 12:02AM

Them too.

RB

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: March 03, 2016 08:58PM

...is my adorable 32-month-old grandson. It would give me more joy if I could see him more often.

One of the most joyous experiences of my life was when my grandson was about 20 months old and we were in a restaurant. His mom poured some french fries out on the table in front of him. He would eat a bite, and then he would put one up to my face and I'd eat it while making a cookie monster-like gobbling noise. He cackled with laughter, and fed me those fries and laughed until they were gone. That was pure joy.

The next most joyous time was taking him to a playground for the first time when he was about 24 months old. He ran and climbed all over that place, and slid down the slides over and over again, laughing deliriously all the while.

Posted by: blakballoon ( )
Date: March 03, 2016 09:39PM

My eldest son, just starting senior high, mentioned something to me recently in regards to same sex marriage. He said, "I've been thinking about it mum, and they are just people, who love other people, why shouldn't they be able to marry?"
Omg, he's been thinking!
That gave me joy, seeing my children laugh and grow and become real people, who think and choose and make decisions based on what they think is right not what some elitist club tells them is right.

Thinking about stuff I've never considered thinking about is enjoyable these days.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: March 03, 2016 09:41PM

Being with my kids. Da Bone.

Date: March 04, 2016 12:04AM

Ain't that the best! Wish my son and his family lived closer but 270 miles ain't too far when they're on the other end of the journey.

RB

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: March 03, 2016 11:17PM

Being with someone I love...

This is the B-E-S-T.

:) :) :)

Posted by: annieg ( )
Date: March 03, 2016 11:20PM

Spending time with friends.

Helping out my kids with their kids.

Good health. Knowing spring isn't too far off.

Posted by: ck ( )
Date: March 03, 2016 11:58PM

Learning. Oh my god, I love learning without having to bend information to fit the Mormon mold!

Spending time with my children. Watching them become themselves, including my oldest who is transgender. Realizing that I made the right choice when I left the church b/c now they can choose their own life's path.

Nature. Art. Music. My dog.

I'm still looking for ways to genuinely serve others in a way that makes a difference, not just busy work, but I hope to find joy there too.

Posted by: Aussieblokesarebest ( )
Date: March 04, 2016 12:13AM

Not in any particular order;
Dragging my knee when cornering on my bike, playing footie with my daughter, enjoying good food & wine with my friends and lover,
Doing my job well, bonking, boobies, playing heavy metal at a volume that makes your ears hurt, catching up with mates, remembering mates who we've lost - some tears there, but still a joy to have known them. ANZAC Day.

Just normal stuff

Posted by: B0yd ( )
Date: March 13, 2016 06:50PM

Oh shit. Hang on hang on hang in.

Footy, rooting, tits, metal, Australian.Exmo. Please tell me you live in Melbourne

Are we talking power metal too? Do you play poker?

Posted by: MORE than a Fan ( )
Date: March 13, 2016 02:09PM

What gives me joy? Listening and singing along with The Osmonds EX: such as listening to a/an CD, records and or tape cassets.

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: March 13, 2016 04:06PM

"What gives me joy? Listening and singing along with The Osmonds EX: such as listening to a/an CD, records and or tape cassets."

May I suggest that you discover The Beatles? :-)

Date: March 13, 2016 04:46PM

-Being with my grandchildren
-When my wife give me a tight hug
-when our Cocker Spaniels jump on our bed to wake us up

RB

Posted by: womaning ( )
Date: March 13, 2016 05:06PM

Genuine laughter, shared. Any source.

Posted by: possiblypagan ( )
Date: March 13, 2016 06:32PM

Going to the shooting range with my (adult) children, beginning a new book by Danielle Steel or Debbie Macomber or Susan Wiggs, the silence on a Sunday morning before the neighbors wake, and going to see Abbacadabra at South Lake Tahoe.

Posted by: geekchick603 ( )
Date: March 13, 2016 06:42PM

whiskey

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: March 13, 2016 07:07PM

My children--watching them grow up loved, happy and successful.

My grandchildren, whom I see almost every day. Those priceless little moments.

Yes to learning! Learning the Truth about Mormonism, and why it was such a depressing, way of life, for me. I'm OK, and the Mormons are NOT OK. Learning from my children to let go of FEAR, low self confidence, prejudice, elitism, sexism (I grew beyond being just a "second-class citizen" in a polygamous cult)

My house in the mountains, my dog greeting me when I come home, the views, hiking and skiing, being out in nature.

Good health!

Being single! No one abuses me anymore.

In the process of leaving the cult, I cut back on the things I disliked--all that busywork, gossip, negativity, lies, manipulation, fear, and thoughts of death,

Being in charge of my own life brings me joy. I can watch Downton Abbey and Hallmark movies and go to the opera, without anyone making fun of me.

My career brings me joy, though the hours are longer than I'd like. I help people. My few real friends are at work.

The list goes on and on....

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: March 13, 2016 07:17PM

* A couple hours ago the Mrs. & I messed up the sheets for a bit. Tough to top that.

* Reading, especially science & history. Currently reading "Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind" by Yuval Harari. The section on how we create, use, and change myths is fascinating. (Sound familiar?)

* Walking. When back in the USA I hike the deserts in SoCal: Anza-Borrego, Mojave, Death Valley.

* Feeding other people. I caught some disapproving Mormonish glances today when I ducked out after the first meeting to return home and cook dinner for a neighbor couple and their son. They're working poor. He works his butt off; she recently suffered a stroke. We try to drop by on Sunday evenings with some food and laughter to share. I'd rather cook than sit in a meeting--in my view, God is a verb.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: March 13, 2016 08:07PM

Reading my scriptures.

Watching my children bear their testimonies or bless the sacrament [or doing some other thing that proves I'm a great mother].

Attending the Temple.

;-) Just kidding! But that's what those RS sisters are supposed to say, right?

Now, for real, in no particular order: I love art, music, reading, learning, thinking, talking on the phone with my sister, playing games and doing puzzles, looking at cool pictures of places I want to visit, watching the birds that come to eat outside my kitchen window, being out in nature, picking fresh tomatoes and eating them off the vine.

Oh yeah, and hot coffee in the morning, great conversations, and hanging out with my husband and kids. And sometimes I even like cleaning up the house because it feels so good when it's clean.

Finally, it gives me joy to know that I'll never have to read those scriptures, brainwash my kids, or go to the temple again!

Do tell . . . what DID the RS sisters say gives them joy? Bet ya $10 it was something they have been told to do by the church.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2016 08:10PM by imaworkinonit.

Date: March 13, 2016 08:32PM

I laughed so hard reading your answer. Yes, spot on all 4 said reading scriptures (they did admit they need to more), children, grandchildren, serving others were the common denominators. They also said friends, and kids (in general), and teenagers (her own and YW in the ward). That's all I remember; I was trying to tune them out.

I love what gives you joy!!!

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: March 14, 2016 12:25AM

They just LOVE reading the scriptures, but they really SHOULD do it more. Does that sound like they are motivated by guilt or by joy? My guess (from personal experience) is that reading the scriptures is boring as hell, but at least they don't have to feel like spiritual slackers for the rest of the day. Yippee! FINALLY they are almost good enough to deserve joy!

Almost.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 13, 2016 09:50PM

Waking up in the morning. And especially on golf days.

This is a "golf four times" week!

La Saucie and I have talked every day for the past 4 years. I joyfully look forward to it every day. And then there are weekends we spend together!!

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: March 14, 2016 06:24PM

My children and grandson, a certain "olddog" who gives me so much. Reading, learning, interior decorating, beauty, music, love, gardening, good food .... there is really so much now that I think of it.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: March 14, 2016 06:26PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2016 06:27PM by saucie.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: March 13, 2016 10:00PM

Joy's father

Posted by: alyssum ( )
Date: March 13, 2016 10:20PM

Realizing that I can think for myself.
Learning something new.
Sharing a special moment with someone.
Being outside in the sunshine.
A good long run.
A sunset.
A cool bug.
Working on a goal.
Trying to capture something with a camera.

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: March 15, 2016 04:19AM

The beach. 'Nuff said.

;o)

Posted by: librarykim2 ( )
Date: March 15, 2016 03:02PM

Reading a new book by a favorite author, spending time with my husband and other family, spending time with friends, sitting on my front porch enjoying gorgeous weather.

Date: March 15, 2016 04:24PM

Nice to meet you, librarykim. Hope to see you on here more. I love bibliophiles. :)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.