Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: claire ( )
Date: March 04, 2016 02:36PM

"I'm just grateful that I am worthy to wear the garments. Being vertically challenged, with not much in the "chest" department; it is hard to find anything that fits me well. I will put up with ill fitting garments, without complaint because my comfort isn't what they were created for. By having them not be 100% comfortable, then I am aware they are there and remember the covenants I made with Heavenly Father."

Oh. My. God.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: March 04, 2016 02:41PM

Disturbed thinking, the sign of some kind of twisted mental illness?
What is wrong with the LDS garment dept that they can't make garments for different types of women's bodies? They just don't care. They do two types and that is about it.
They know nothing about the garment business.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: March 04, 2016 04:29PM

A little O/T, but I recently read an article about the military when designing the cock-pits of fighter jets when they were just coming into existence.

They took measurements of all their pilots, height, weight, span, lengths of ankle to knee, knee to hip, arm lengths, reach, etc. etc. Everything you could think of.

Then they averaged the results and designed the cock-pits to these measurements.

The pilots in these new planes with greater speed and agility were having more than expected accidents.

To make a long story short, the average pilot measurements didn't fit any of the real pilots.

The military went back and redesigned things, adjustable seats, controls, etc. and the accident rate dropped significantly.

Maybe adjustable garments would allow the wearers to be less grouchy.

Posted by: claire ( )
Date: March 04, 2016 02:51PM

Here's the link to the article and discussion.

http://www.ldsliving.com/Church-Offering-New-Garment-Options-for-Women/s/81281?utm_source=Facebook

I am amazed at how many women hate the garments--how they fit, feel, etc. They have no options.

Then there are a few old biddies scolding the women for complaining, and a few, like the woman I quoted, above, who are so holy that they willingly endure constant discomfort for their religion.

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: March 04, 2016 03:09PM

And they think old-timey Catholics were weird for their hairshirts!

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: March 04, 2016 06:00PM

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 04, 2016 06:48PM

I do not know of any Catholic in his or her right mind that would wear a hair shirt. Normal, everyday Catholics are horrified by the very few extremists.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: March 04, 2016 06:53PM

Exactly what I was thinking!

"Look at me suffer for my religion: it must mean God loves me!"

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: March 04, 2016 07:20PM

Yeah, suffering is silence doesn't do anyone any good. You've got to project your humility far and wide and deep!

Posted by: BetThey'reItchy ( )
Date: March 05, 2016 03:31AM

As a hapless link clicker, I checked out the hours in different
locations around the world. No surprise how many had no weekday hours convenient for women who work outside the home during traditional business hours, although of course if they are garment wearers then the church is probably getting 10% of their income. Let's hope someday soon we'll be looking at this as a historical curiosity.

Posted by: scaredhusband ( )
Date: March 04, 2016 03:00PM

My wife hates her's. She has altered them before. I silently let it happen because I don't want to further entrench her in her beliefs by saying something. Especially since she thinks there are magic consequences for disobeying the covenant that she made with out informed consent. She also lets them touch the ground. :) lol

They really are ill fitting to just about every woman I have known that wears them. I wonder if a god actually designed them what they would be like.

Posted by: togive ( )
Date: March 04, 2016 07:16PM

Skin.

Posted by: randomgirl ( )
Date: March 04, 2016 09:57PM

Winning the internet. Hahaha

Posted by: readbooks ( )
Date: March 04, 2016 07:47PM

I always hated the itchy lace and the way the bottoms would roll up at knees. Yuck.

From now on no more white clothes and no more lace on my underwear.

Posted by: Anon1500 ( )
Date: March 04, 2016 03:05PM

God created us so that we may have wedgies?
Stupid, stupid. Even I know on the garment front they will do things, special order if you will. You know the Catholics have some spare hair garments that they are willing to sell cheap because constant discomfort didn't work for them either. Religious fanaticism, taking crazy 1 step further.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: March 04, 2016 03:10PM

The comment about the tall woman getting permission to wear her husbands garments made me sick.
I can't even imagine that. Those things are already so damn ugly and take away any feelings of being sexual or pretty. To wear mens garments every day would be horrid for a woman.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: March 04, 2016 03:10PM

I really do think there are a lot of people, especially women, who love wearing them for the sole reason that it makes them feel special and better than other people. As with this chick, "I'm just grateful that I am worthy to wear garments."

I never once felt that way. Not once. I hated them from the minute those creepy old bitches put them on me (especially since it was in the old one-piece, only nylon or cotton days. I hated that I had to have been born with the knowledge of "the truth" (yes, that makes me laugh now), so that I had no choice. If I didn't wear them, knowing what I know, I'd be damned. Whereas so many other really good people who weren't cursed... oops, I mean blessed enough to be born into God's church, could dress normally and still have a good chance at getting into the CK.

Wish I could have enjoyed a false sense of superiority instead of a real sense of jealousy.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: March 04, 2016 03:13PM

What finally hit me is that the LDS Church with the garments were taking a kind of Old Testament Law and making it a modern-day requirement. I often asked: Didn't Jesus Christ come to fulfill the law? Why are they doing this?

Posted by: Heretic 2 ( )
Date: March 04, 2016 03:49PM

"By having them not be 100% comfortable, then I am aware they are there and remember the covenants I made with Heavenly Father."

Why not go for the gold and just wear a hair shirt or a cilice?

Posted by: Anonomo ( )
Date: March 04, 2016 04:58PM

And gd forbid you wear a cross around your neck instead.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: March 04, 2016 04:01PM

She's "grateful" to be "worthy" of wearing ugly, uncomfortable, ill-fitting underwear?

That's crazy talk.

Posted by: weeder ( )
Date: March 04, 2016 04:17PM

I'm glad they are going out of their way for the busty women in their congregations ...

Give them a few more decades and they'll get around to the less-endowed.

LOL

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: March 04, 2016 04:26PM

I do good to find bras and panties that fit just right.

Garments are so comical I never did see myself wearing those things. They're just awkward.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: March 04, 2016 06:19PM

I agree about garments being comical, and for me, I would have had the hardest time wearing a bra over them, as many Mormon women do. Other issues I know I would have had to deal with is infections because certain parts wouldn't be allowed to breathe. I have sensory issues with things like tags and thick seams, so to me, it would be the equivalent of wearing a hair shirt.

Posted by: Margie ( )
Date: March 04, 2016 04:29PM

Good grief! This woman is going to sew a new crotch into her old garments! Eew!

"Debra - I am doing the same - I've decided I will continue to wear my OLD garments - am even going to sew in the middle part of the crouch - which has almost totally worn out - that is NO change to the garment !!! Just adding the crotch."

Posted by: Topper ( )
Date: March 04, 2016 04:43PM

Will they just repackage them, spreading germs around? Or will they wash them and repackage them. Doubt they would throw them out. Either way, someone will be buying used garments at new prices.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: March 04, 2016 06:16PM

Sooo, an untempled female can ask an associate to take the garments out of the package so she can LOOK at them? Wow, that will be a big help. "look but don't touch, and for heaven's sake, no trying on!!!"

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 04, 2016 06:39PM

"I wish we could alter the sleeves to make them fit our arms snuggly, like put a dart in the sleeves or something..."

You can do just that, lady. Heck, make your own garments. Did they come in neat, church-approved packages back in Joseph Smith's day? I think not.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: March 04, 2016 07:57PM

This. She can easily put a dart in the sleeves, as the pioneers they love to worship had to make their own garments since they didn't come in packages approved by the church.

Posted by: elderpopejoy ( )
Date: March 04, 2016 11:03PM

Do holy skivvies for masculine men still deliver hourly wedgies?

Or maybe they've become more like Men in Half-tights.

Simply a bit of curiosity.

Posted by: dogeatdog ( )
Date: March 05, 2016 02:51AM

All I know is that I hated wearing them, and I hate seeing them. I hate seeing them peaking out the bottom of athletic shorts. I hate seeing them worn on top as a t shirt around the house. I hate seeing them through a white shirt, or peaking out the top of a neck line. I hate seeing women bend over and having them peaking out the lower back. If people are going to wear them, then at least keep them covered up!

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: March 05, 2016 03:54AM

Made me think of 'Opus Dei' and that Justice that just died (murdered, whatever)... was it Scalia?
they wear a tight garter or band which gives discomfort, to remind them of..... of...... of being uncomfortable, i guesss

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.