Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ragnar ( )
Date: March 05, 2016 08:35AM

I need help deciding what to do regarding a NYC trip this summer. I will be coming into NYC (from another US state). I've only been in NYC once before, and that was for a layover, so I don't know anything about the location of the city in relation to the arports around it. From whichever airport I choose, I will need to get to the hotel, which is in 'Midtown' (1300 block of the Avenue of the Americas). When I look up NYC area airports, it gives me JFK, LGA, and EWR, with widely different prices. Is it feasable to get to the hotel from any of these different airports (via taxi)? Which would be best airport to come in on? Thanx in advance...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lori at 53 ( )
Date: March 05, 2016 08:47AM

It has been awhile since I flew to NYC, but I'm sure all airports have plenty of taxis available to Manhattan. I've never heard of EWR but the other two are in Queens and it's about a 20 minute taxi ride. Same with Newark.

Date: March 05, 2016 08:53AM

Isn't EWR Newark?

Posted by: Lori at 53 ( )
Date: March 05, 2016 08:58AM

It probably is...like I said, it has been awhile!

Posted by: Bite Me ( )
Date: March 05, 2016 07:56PM

Yes it is.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: March 05, 2016 08:49AM

La Guardia's closer in. JFK is further out. You can always hook up with shuttles going to the city by way of the NYC subway or buses.

I like Newark because it's smaller to get around, and provides a shuttle service to Manhattan.

Taxis are super expensive way to travel. Chances are you end up with a taxi driver that although he knows his way around pretends to not have a clue where he's going and drives you miles out of your way to rack up your fees for the cab ride.

That's a well known malady New Yorkers deal with. When I lived there I went out of my way to avoid taxi cabs whenever possible.

Subway or buses are best. Subway is faster, buses slower but at least you get the above ground view of the city and streets you're passing on your way to wherever you'll be staying.

Posted by: East Coast Exmo ( )
Date: March 05, 2016 08:54AM

My New York colleagues say that EWR is the fastest and easiest.

JFK and LGA can have horrible and seemingly random traffic.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 05, 2016 09:00AM

I would not use JFK if you can help it. It's a long way from midtown. It's the primary international airport for NYC, and New Yorkers will use it to fly to London, Paris, etc. But it's not great for travel in and out of Manhattan. I believe that there is a subway/train line that runs to and from the airport. It would be a long train ride, though, more than an hour to midtown (maybe 1 and 1/2 hours?) A taxi ride would be insanely expensive. Try the train or a shuttle if you use this option.

LaGuardia is across the river from Manhattan on the east side in Queens. It's fairly close in terms of miles to midtown. But the traffic can be really backed up and you might spend a very long time sitting in traffic, racking up the taxi fees. If you go through LaGuardia, you might try getting a shuttle instead. Like JFK, there may be public transportation options.

Newark Airport is across the Hudson river on the west side of Manhattan. It's a great and often underused option for getting into midtown Manhattan.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2016 09:03AM by summer.

Posted by: mankosuki ( )
Date: March 05, 2016 09:11AM

Have only been to NYC one time and had the same questions as you. Flight prices vary widely and I was budget conscious. Ended up using EWR. As a single traveler I was apprehensive but had no problem using the train from there to Penn Station and also back for my return flight. Airport staff were available for questions and its also signed well and easy to understand. Didn't need to transfer trains or things. Stayed just across the street from Madison Sq Garden. Once your in the middle of the city then you have many options as already expressed. Have a great trip.

Date: March 05, 2016 09:41AM

Thanks, everone. That helps a lot!

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: March 05, 2016 10:02AM

I've used all three and they each seem equally inconvenient and have traffic problems. I just go by the best flight deal.

Posted by: Daledobach ( )
Date: March 05, 2016 10:21AM

LaGuardia is closer to Midtown and if you fly into JFK you'll go by LaGuardia on your ride into the city. Uber a ride to Midtown or use Town Car company. They are all around the same price. The subway with luggage is a pain in the ass.

Date: March 05, 2016 11:52AM

Daledobach Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The subway with luggage is a pain in the ass.

Yes it is. I'd forgotten about that. But I used to be all about saving money when I lived in NYC so I did it all the time. Ditto what Gheco says below about using the turnstile for the disabled if you have luggage.

The Town Car company is a great suggestion. Native New Yorkers tend to use a "car service" about as often as they will a taxi. The difference is that you have to call a car service to pick you up as opposed to going to the taxi stand or hailing a taxi on the street. But the cars are usually much nicer. Always negotiate the price ahead of time.

Posted by: Gheco ( )
Date: March 05, 2016 11:25AM

Look for the subway turnstile for the disabled if you have a lot of luggage.

Posted by: dimmesdale ( )
Date: March 05, 2016 12:40PM

You can take the air train to Jamaica Station where you can take a subway anywhere in the city or surrounding area. The air train costs $5. Just follow the signs in the airport. It's easy.

Much cheaper than a taxi. MUCH!

Posted by: Schaffner ( )
Date: March 07, 2016 10:47AM

From Jamaica you can then take the subway or the Long Island Rail Road. The LIRR can take you directly to Penn Station with very few stops.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: March 05, 2016 01:26PM

The last taxi I used in NYC was in Brooklyn while on a work assignment. I needed to get back to the office but wasn't near a subway line or bus route.

A gypsy cab driver stopped to pick me up and gave me a lift to the subway station a few miles away. He was from Pakistan.

He told me the reason he came to America was to help bail out his cousin from jail in Los Angeles, who was a taxi driver there. His arrest was for carrying explosives in the trunk of his cab.

When the gypsy cab driver told me this I prayed for a miracle that I would get safely to my destination that day.

With my eyes wide open.

Posted by: oxymormon ( )
Date: March 05, 2016 02:25PM

EWR is geographically closer to midtown, and usually cheaper to fly into,than LGA or JFK.
Taxis into Manhattan are flat fares, but there are also tons of shuttles and busses and car services available.

Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: March 05, 2016 03:50PM

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: March 05, 2016 02:27PM

As a former New Yorker, unless things have majorly changed, your best bet would be to go into JFK and take the subway from there into midtown. LaGuardia (LGA), as I recall, didn't have access to public transportation into Manhattan. I'm unsure as to what Newark Liberty (EWR) has as far as transportation capabilities into midtown Manhattan.

Posted by: Lumberjack ( )
Date: March 05, 2016 03:11PM

I have travelled to NYC four of five times in the last 8 years.
Each trip I have flown into JFK. I don't know if Newark or LaGuardia are better. My experience has been that its easy to get a taxi right outside of the terminal. It will take a while (maybe 45-60 minutes) to get into midtown Manhattan. It will depend on how bad traffic is. There is a flat rate (45$ last time I went), plus tip. It can be a wild ride, but we've always arrived safely.
Going back to fly home we always arrange for a car. It can be tough to get a taxi on a weekday afternoon sometimes-although early Sunday morning was a piece of cake.

Date: March 05, 2016 06:19PM

Cool about the flat rate cab fare. It's been a long time since I've taken a cab from LGA.

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: March 05, 2016 03:14PM

Even though it is an O/T question... What a great feedback from other board members.

Well done!

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: March 05, 2016 03:16PM

I'd check with your hotel first -- a great many Manhattan hotels have free airport shuttles (or share them as a group with other hotels). You may very well not have to pay for a taxi or take a train/subway or anything else.

The Hilton I stayed at in Manhattan a few years ago had a free shuttle. I just let them know when I'd be arriving, and the shuttle was at the pickup waiting for me. It took 8 people into the city (from JFK). All it cost me was a $5 tip to the driver :)

Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: March 05, 2016 03:46PM

Unless you can arrange a shuttle with your hotel as someone else suggested. The train will be much cheaper than the taxi. I wouldn't bother with Newark at all.

Posted by: oxymormon ( )
Date: March 05, 2016 04:06PM

As a New Yorker, I feel duty bound to inform you (and others who have suggested it) that the Airtrain does NOT go to Manhattan. The Air train takes you out of the airport to the MTA Subway terminal, where you can get the A Train into Manhattan.
The Airtrain costs $5.00.
A ride on the subway adds $2.75. Nice and cheap, but then you'll be on the A Train with your luggage for at LEAST 45 minutes if not longer to get to Midtown.
(If you plan on using the subway while you're here, a 7 day unlimited metro card is $31.00, which you can buy to use immediately at the Airtrain terminal.)
A flat rate taxi or shuttle might be a bit more, but you'll get to midtown MUCH faster from Newark.

Posted by: dimmesdale ( )
Date: March 05, 2016 08:58PM

The Air Train takes you to Jamaica Station where you can easily catch the subway into Manhattan.
It's the easiest and far the cheapest way into Manhattan from any of the airports.

$5 air train
?? maybe $5 for subway

Posted by: girlawakened ( )
Date: March 05, 2016 10:41PM

I fly in and out of New York City several times a month. When I'm alone- regardless of which airport, I either Super Shuttle take the train. Depending on how many are traveling and the amount of luggage? Cabbing it is always good.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: March 05, 2016 08:36PM

I went there last year, flew into Newark.

I was a bit more money but MUCH less hassle for us out of towners to use Uber. They have an app for your phone. You can give them your info ahead of time, and no money is exchanged (except tips).

It was the best when we went to a Broadway show. All the people trying to get cabs was pretty chaotic. Uber pulled up to the curb and off we went. No standing in the rain trying to catch a cab. To me, Uber was worth every penny.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: March 05, 2016 11:03PM

Personally, I prefer Newark. About $6 gets you on the Airtrane and to New Jersey transit. It's about three stops on the NJT train to Penn Station. I've done the Airtrane from JFK, but it's taken much longer to get into Mid-Town on the subway. Taxi's also require that you pay the tolls and tip, although the other posters are correct in that the fare anywhere in Manhattan from JFK is a flat fee. Enjoy the Big Apple! The Empire State Boner!

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 05, 2016 11:17PM

I flew into JFK and never had any problem getting to mid town manhattan on public transportation.
The soldiers in the subways carrying their automatic weapons didn't even bother me.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.