Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jan ( )
Date: March 13, 2016 01:05AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Topper ( )
Date: March 13, 2016 05:57AM

Posted by: Afraid of Mormons ( )
Date: March 13, 2016 07:00AM

Computers and i-phones are idiot-proof, and set themselves.

One year, I went to bed early, so my son did me the favor of setting all of our clocks ahead one hour, not knowing that I had already set them ahead. The next morning, knew it would be dark, but I didn't catch on until I got to church an hour before everyone else.

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: March 13, 2016 07:03AM

I've always hated staying up until 2:00 AM to set the clocks.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: March 13, 2016 12:40PM

I always just set clocks before going to bed. That is, except for the computer, cell phone, and cable box. My car's clock gets changed at some point during the day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2016 12:40PM by adoylelb.

Posted by: anonculus ( )
Date: March 14, 2016 12:43AM

Breeze Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've always hated staying up until 2:00 AM to set
> the clocks.

hehe...say goodnight Gracie.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: March 14, 2016 07:41PM

That's great about your son doing you a favor.

I did something similar once while I was in grade school. Mom always had the clocks running 15 minutes fast, "so we won't be late". We'd still be late for church/school etc., because everyone knew that clocks were 15 minutes fast.

I changed the clocks 15 minutes ahead one night so we could really be on time.

Dad was pissed the next day when he had gotten to work before anyone else. He talked to me with the belt, so I never messed with the clocks again.

I wished we'd either stay with DLST or ST year round, one way or the other, none of this switching back and forth.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2016 07:42PM by tumwater.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: March 13, 2016 09:33AM

I dislike loosing an hour, on the downside. Just woke up and it's already past 9 a.m. Damn. Didn't wait til two to go to sleep, but these computers and smart phones that adjust themselves I like.

I look forward to later daytime, on the upswing. It would be nice, Jan, not to have to go through this ritual twice a year.

:)

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: March 13, 2016 02:11PM

At least, we're not alone in the USA!! I was very surprised when I saw this list. WOW..and I thought we were the only screwy ones!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time_by_country

Posted by: Visitors welcome ( )
Date: March 14, 2016 03:10AM

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: March 13, 2016 04:48PM

I had them done yesterday. After being up for something like 39 hours (picked up a friend who flew in from Johannesburg to Atlanta), I went to sleep around 9PM standard time and woke up at 8AM EDST. I so needed the sleep

Date: March 13, 2016 06:09PM

Any reason in particular that kept you awake for 39 hours, since you weren't the one flying?

My circadian rhythm was completely thrown off kilter flying *back* from Japan when I visited there, but not in going there. I flew forward into their time zone, and flew backwards by 13 hours into mine.

Had to go to the doctor for some medicine to help get my sleep cycle regulated - took me several weeks before it was back to normal.

Posted by: the1v ( )
Date: March 14, 2016 07:22PM

Going east is a bugger. It's always easier to travel west. My sleep cycle got truly messed up when I was jumping around the world in my last job.

I was jumping time-zones just about every week from April to November. I hated the first couple of nights traveling from Pacific to Paris or M.E. timezone. 9-10 hours is brutal.

I still have a tough time maintaining a regular sleep pattern and I stopped that flying nonsense 18 months ago.

Date: March 16, 2016 07:56PM

Thanks for relating that. I flew West to Japan, and flew back East home.

Was very surprised to learn that my airline actually flew over North America and Canada, not the ocean to go from JFK in NYC to Shanghai, China, where I connected flights to Japan. Same route home again, over Canada and the northern American continent.

It was a thirteen hour difference on my return, just a week before the time changed for that October. Man, did I feel frazzled. Could not sleep at all until I went to the doctor who put me on some Ambien to help regulate my sleep cycle. My usual homeopathic stuff I use ongoing didn't do a thing for me during that transition from west to east. In Japan I was fine the whole time, thank goodness.

Posted by: Heretic 2 ( )
Date: March 13, 2016 09:14PM

I live in Arizona where the wise citizens abolished daylight savings time long ago.

So I don't have to change my clocks.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: March 13, 2016 09:42PM

I'm slowly getting the non automatic one changed.

RB

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: March 14, 2016 12:22AM

Anyone here ever visit Laughlin/Bullhead city? The cell towers on one side of the river are one hour different than the other side of the river in the winter. As you drive through town on either side of the river, your time changes back and forth by one hour from one minute to the next as your phone connects with different cell towers on both sides of the river, regardless of where you are. If you don't have a wrist watch, you have to change several settings in your phone to ignore all of the cell-tower times, ignore daylight-savings time changes, and just keep the time by itself (three different settings) for one side of the river only. Then you adjust the time in your head when you're on the other side of the river. By the time I figured out what was going on with the time there and got the time on my phone working correctly, I was an hour from leaving to go home. If you ever go to Laughlin/Bullhead city, you'll want to bring a wrist watch, the old fashioned kind that keeps it's own time.

Posted by: Visitors welcome ( )
Date: March 14, 2016 03:05AM

And in Europe it's a week later, and in Australia it's in the other direction, meaning a two-hour leap every six months.

DST is like circumcision: its supposed benefits have long been debunked and its negative consequences are well documented, but it goes on regardless because some people are used to it and others make money from it.

Posted by: eternal1 ( )
Date: March 14, 2016 07:51PM

Yup

Posted by: notamormon ( )
Date: March 14, 2016 12:01PM

When I was a kid I lived in a little town which did not use daylight savings time but the town my school was in did.

Could get confusing.

Posted by: Trails end ( )
Date: March 14, 2016 06:57PM

Only a white man is foolish enough to believe they cud cut off one end of a blanket...sew it on the other...and have a longer blanket...a wise old lamanite chief...yup somethings stupid go on forever...sure blows for a month till things catch up or slow down in the fall....anyone know what dumbass came up with this nonsense..anyone know why the rest of us dumbasses put up with it....i know google...im just too jet lagged to inquire...haha

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: March 14, 2016 09:30PM

IN ~

on ~

time travel thread ~

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: March 14, 2016 10:35PM

I hate changing the time. It causes all kinds of problems and that has been proven!

I call it "1984 Day" because twp days a year the big brother government tells us exactly what to do and we all follow like moron sheep and do it even though I have never met one single person who likes changing the time, NOT ONE! If the government big brother told us to jump off of a bridge, I guess we'd do that too.

Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn which time they choose, regular or Daylight Savings. I just want them to pick one and then NOT change it! I absolutely hate it.

And YES that is how I really feel.

Heretic 2 - "
I live in Arizona where the wise citizens abolished daylight savings time long ago."
Please tell us exactly what the citizens of AZ did to get rid of it. That is a secret that many would pay money to have to answer to.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2016 10:39PM by verilyverily.

Posted by: Heretic 2 ( )
Date: March 15, 2016 12:51AM

I did a little reading, and it looks like Arizona used Daylight Savings Time during World War I and World War II, and briefly tried it in 1966/1967, but got rid of it because no one liked it. This may be because Arizona is too hot, and many activities are better when done before the sun comes up, or after it goes down. So people do not want to save daylight. They would rather have the sun be down during more of their waking hours.

Studies also seemed to indicate that Daylight Savings Time increased energy usage, because in the hot climate, people use air conditioners more heavily when awake and active while the sun is up. So when waking hours match daylight hours less closely, energy is conserved. (I suppose if energy conservation was the most important thing around, then Arizona would shift to a really funky schedule where everyone was awake during the graveyard shift. Like set the clock back 12 hours. Like maybe wake up at our current 6:00 PM, work, study, or play all night, and go to bed at our current 10:00 AM.)

The only real drawback to not following Daylight Savings Time is that people from other states often guess wrong when trying to decide what time it is in Arizona. The state is in neither the the Pacific Time zone, nor the Mountain Time zone. Arizona (other than the Navajo reservation) has its own time zone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2016 01:05AM by Heretic 2.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: March 16, 2016 06:21PM

Don't you just love Big Brother and just love taking orders from Big Brother for no known reason? I sure don't.

I hate changing the time and always will.

Date: March 14, 2016 11:50PM

People where I work were complaining this morning of being overly tired yesterday and today.

I didn't say anything while overhearing the conversation in a neighbor pod nearby. But I struggled with the same issue yesterday as I didn't feel rested for nearly the entire day.

By the time I was "up and around," it was already sundown.

I lollied around the house all day long and didn't even go outside once. That's how tired I was. When I heard them talking about feeling the same lethargy the same as I was, it struck me that it was either because of the stinkin' time change, or we're all suffering from the same malady that's been going around.

Although I didn't actually get the flu, unlike my pod neighbor did last week. So either I'm in the process of getting it, or it's because of the effects of the time change itself. I'm blaming it on the time change since I don't have any flu symptoms, yet anyway. (Other than the extreme feeling tired.)

I'm also miffed because Homeland Security closed the parking ramp to the entrance I use daily to my parking garage, effective in two weeks. I figure it's for the safety of all concerned, but what the heck? What do they know that we don't for one thing? And secondly, the parking garage is in the basemment of where I work.

Knowing it's being closed by Homeland Security (it ordered my parking garage entrance be permanently closed late last Friday afternoon,) and not because of any other reason, does not make me feel any safer knowing this.

:(

Posted by: the1v ( )
Date: March 16, 2016 06:44PM

Even one hour of Jetlag can take up to a week to recover from if it messes with your sleep cycle.

I've skipped to 6 different timezones in a month (Central, Eastern, London, Paris, Istanbul, and home to Pacific). Toward the end if I sat down I fell asleep. Brutal.

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: March 16, 2016 07:01PM

Sadly, I discovered my Chevy Volt doesn't coordinate it's clock with some sort of On-Star time standard. I had to spring it forward manually. Seems like a GM engineering error. After all, the car nags me about a low tire by sending me e-mails about it...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2016 07:03PM by rationalist01.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.