Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Exmo Aspie ( )
Date: March 15, 2016 02:43PM

Hello friends and welcome back to the Crazy Seminary Class, where the doctrine is made up and the policies don't matter.

So today we were talking about the Temple of Solomon, Old Testament year can be a real bitch sometimes. So obviously, Brother Gummy turned it into a lesson on the temple. It wasn't much of a lesson, because all Brother Gummy said was equivalent to "We do some really cool temple shit, but its all too sacred to talk about"

We watched a short fantasy video about a young woman who got out of bed at 5 in the morning to go do temple shit. The whole time it had mormon flashbacks from her life and lots of anti-depressant induced grinning. It was straight up propaganda now that I know the truth, sometimes I feel like I'm living in the Soviet Union when it comes to TSCC dishing propaganda. One of the things that I found really disturbing was one of the young woman's flashbacks was her and other young women reciting something, felt really cultish and scary.

I do have some good news, my grandparents on my mother's side have just stepped in and offered to pay for the schooling of all of their grandchildren. I was able to pay a big sigh of relief there. He told us all from his hospital bed that, we are all covered, no matter the cost. A big sigh of relief for me.

As always, comment your opinions, they are always welcome!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: March 15, 2016 03:02PM

Fun commentary on your seminary classes.

I attended seminary way back when steel was being used among the Nephites, mostly spaced out on the same old, same old that was being regurgitated again and again by writing notes, daydreaming, and doing homework for a 'real' class. Back when, we got credit for merely showing up at seminary, never had tests, and my memory is that it was just pass or fail in my high school years.

Could always count on looking out the window and seeing the bad boys (always sooo good looking) slumped against the walls smoking and making out with the bad girls. They were the smart ones being out there and not in where we were.

Congrats on having money for schooling. Very, very nice of your grandparents.

Posted by: the1v ( )
Date: March 15, 2016 03:19PM

Now that is one awesome Grandpa. I do believe it is time for a nice long ROADTRIP!! Apply some where in a "Galaxy Far Far Away" and "Get the hell out of Dodge".

University of Hawaii sounds good to me. Beach, sun, and co-eds in bikini's. Just remember to pass your classes so the fun can continue.

As for the seminary class the full transcript of several versions of the temple hocus pocus is online if your interested. You can also enjoy a live session in all of it's boredom on youtube if you experience insomnia.

Posted by: tig ( )
Date: March 15, 2016 03:45PM

Congrats on getting the schooling bear off of your shoulders. Now you just need to choose a good school somewhere away from the craziness. Michigan is nice. :)

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: March 17, 2016 01:57PM

Ah...Seminary videos.

They will provide you with much amusement for the rest of your life.

One I always jest about is "Godly Sorrow" from the 1990's. This was a ridiculous guilt tripping, shaming, and clarion call to get these rebellious youth to the bishop's office.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4X5lp4a8_vM

It even has a real movie star, Aaron Eckhart, back when he was part of LDS, Inc. His only line in "Godly Sorrow" is "what about the pain?" So now when I see ads for "London is Fallen," I can't help but think of Aaron "What about the pain?" Eckhart.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: March 17, 2016 02:37PM

So the point of that video is to feel like complete shit in front of absolutely everyone while telling them "Hey, I gave a guy a hand job, so now you can all feel just a little more self righteous around me."?

I noticed that she told Aaron Eckhart she could have easily not told her bishop anything; hell, he's Two-Face, he could have easily gotten away with it!

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: March 17, 2016 03:42PM

snowball Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4X5lp4a8_vM

No, we're not a cult; no way!

How about a cartoon of a battlefield with wounded and bleeding
all over the field, and a man in a suit and tie labeled "Bishop"
is holding a large bag of salt and calling out, "does anyone
need me to minister unto their wounds?"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2016 03:47PM by baura.

Posted by: claire ( )
Date: March 18, 2016 01:16AM

Jesus. Thanks for the vomit-inducing syrup of ipecac for the soul.

Posted by: notamormon ( )
Date: March 17, 2016 02:04PM

Do you have any choice on schools?

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: March 17, 2016 02:24PM

My youthful rebellion compelled me to walk out of senior year Seminary after a dispute with the teacher who was the bishie's wife.

Mom convinced me to return to keep the peace and I went back knowing that in 3 months I would be out of high school and on my own while enrolled at the Why.

The BoM classes I was obliged to sign up for as a freshman at BYU gave either pass or fail grades based solely on attendance.

I flunked them both knowing I didn't plan to re-enroll for another year.

I also had a perfect non-attendance at campus ward Sac meeting for that entire year which I'm mighty proud of.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 17, 2016 03:16PM

That's really exciting news about the schooling! I would nail down the details with them -- what type of school are they willing to pay for (i.e. community college, church school, state school, out-of-state school, etc.) Ask, should the bills be sent to them directly? Get it settled now because you will be starting next fall if not sooner. You will also need to get applications in NOW. Have you taken the ACT or SAT? Don't waste any time!

Posted by: alyssum ( )
Date: March 17, 2016 03:27PM

The young women were probably reciting the young woman theme. They do that every single Sunday, in unison.

Posted by: readbooks ( )
Date: March 18, 2016 04:27PM

Thanks to saying that for every meeting for six years while a YM leader, it creeps me out to say the Pledge of Allegiance.

Posted by: sister hi ( )
Date: March 17, 2016 03:28PM

That's great news about the college money! You have been given a ticket out. Use it well, and wisely. Make sure you can learn something that will give you a good life for the rest of your life. You don't have to repeat any of your parents mistakes.

Don't waste this money and opportunity. It may nver come your way again.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: March 18, 2016 04:58PM

I watched the movie "Godly Sorrow" listed by a poster.

Does the church currently show in seminary sappy movies such as this one and the ones I saw eons ago? Am I just so removed and changed that I find it very hard to believe that youth of today would sit through such mind-numbing unreality?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.