Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Martin Luther ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 09:14PM

A couple of months ago I put my papers in mostly because of social pressure. I openly questioned the church to some of my friends, things like sexism, racism, polygamy, and the absolute power and authority of the Mormon hierarchy. A Morgbot I worked with heard some of the things I had to say and told my stake president. He called me in and started by saying the first interview we had, he felt “impressed” to ask me some questions that he had never asked other missionaries before. He went on by saying that he heard rumors of me joking about sacred things (Of course he would define his and the GA’s authority as sacred). He said I would have to talk with my bishop more about this before my papers could be submitted. Afterward I felt absolutely betrayed, and I wonder about all of my close friends that could have been his informant. A month later I sat in his office without an appointment demanding to meet with him. I told him that I had a right to know who his informant was and what had been said about me. He lied to my face and said all of the specifics had been discussed in the previous interview. I said that was absolutely untrue, that I wouldn’t have felt so beaten down and defenseless if I had specific accusations. My SP finally told me and one of the things I was accused of tipped me off to his informant. Then I said something like I wasn’t sure why I was being singled out, and that it didn’t seem that serious. His voice became very loud and he became very aggressive saying no one was singling me out he was just protecting the good name of the church, blah blah. Anyway I was just wondering if anyone has any similar controlling, 1984esque experiences?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: October 21, 2010 10:00AM

Mine was at work. I worked for the LDS church and on a break I said something about polygamy and JS. This had nothing to do with our job whatsoever. This person still went to the supervisor and snitched on me.

Supervisor called SLC and talked to his supervisor to see what to do about me. The answer must have been to try to get me to quit.

He called me in for a meeting and it was all about Mormonism, not my job duties. I'd keep bringing it back to my work, and he'd have to admit that I do a great job, then go right back to Mormonism. He kept saying things like, "You need to access whether you are a good fit for our organization." I took that to mean he was told by SLC to not fire me, but try to get me to quit.

That was one of many final straw type things for me. Having my Mormonism questioned because of something I said to a co-worker that was completely true, but not mormon enough sounding, and then having my supervisor calling the big guys in SLC to see what to do about me... All over a comment to a co-worker while on break really, really, pissed me off.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: October 21, 2010 12:51PM

I became very depressed. While I had dealt with cyclical depression in High School it was nothing like this. I went to my bishop about it, and told him that I still wanted to serve, I just needed someone to talk to. At this time, I had a really good bishop who was more like a friend. He set me up with a counselor at LDS services and assured me that everything would be confidential and he was doing this because he didn't feel qualified to talk to me about my issues with depression (and he wasn't. I liked him for his honesty.)
I went to the first session and answered the questions honestly about having occasional thoughts of suicide-- and the councelor flipped out. I have never had someone get in my face like this so fast. He wanted to shut down my whole mission right then and there. I was so uncomfortable that I left and told him that we were done (the session lasted all of 15 min).
This douche called the MTC warning them that they were about to receive a "dangerous and violent" elder, and no one was stopping me from entering.
Salt Lake flipped out and ripped my Stake President a new one, who ripped my bishop a new one who felt disgusted that the whole issue went as bad as it did.
I went because I needed to talk to someone, and was assured that everything was confidential and professional-- and it was an entire joke. My bishop was also crushed by this as well as I because the MTC demanded that I get a professional psychologist to say that I wasn't a threat to myslef or others before entering the MTC....
....and that was one of my more pleasant experiences on my mission.

Posted by: maria ( )
Date: October 21, 2010 01:20PM

The more stories that I hear from people about LDSSS, the more I'm convinced they're a joke. And not a funny one.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: October 21, 2010 04:24PM

time to resign, eh? Just sayin'.

Date: October 21, 2010 05:07PM

oh yeah, i am very out now. a mission seemed bad enough, but now i can't even think freely?

Posted by: transplant in texas ( )
Date: October 21, 2010 05:37PM

it's about protecting "the name of the CHURCH" (i added the emphasis) that was my first clue when i got my endowment, i vowed to give my time, talents, etc to the CHURCH, not Jesus...

the brainwashing ran so deep still took me 7 years to dig my way out..

Posted by: Tiff ( )
Date: October 21, 2010 06:18PM

A co-worker who used to live in Utah overheard me complaining about my Mormon grandparents. She took me aside and told me about this site and how it kept her sane while she was working there.

A week later, I sent in my letter.

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: October 21, 2010 06:25PM

Mormonism creates adult tattle tales.

My supposed best friend that I had had personal communications with ratted me out to the SP with an email I had sent to him.

I knew this meeting was coming up with the SP. However I was pre-emptive. After 45 mins of discussion I handed him a copy of my resignation letter (Notarized) and informed him that as of his receipt of that letter I legally was no longer a member of the LDS church.

No love court required. I had mailed my resignation to SLC the day before.

I suggest you do the same without waiting for an appointment.

Here is how it plays out for you if you so chose.

Send in your resignation letter as per instructions on this site. Notarize it if you like. I did. Send it return receipt if you like. I did. Then send it in the mail.
After you have mailed your letter do the following.

Have a copy of your resignation letter in hand and walk up to the SP and hand him the letter. Then state:

“As of your receipt of that letter I am legally no longer a member of the LDS church”.

Then turn around and walk away. Never look back. It will then be part of “your” history.

Date: October 21, 2010 06:53PM

What ended up happening, was he said that he felt that everything was worked out and he could send it in. I told him I would call him if I still wanted him to mail my papers. He asked if I was thinking about not going, I said yup, and left. I moved out of my parents house, and my records are over there. I will write a letter eventually, but I kind of want to find a cool way to get excommunicated so I can stick it to them. haha. but I'll probably just end up mailing a resignation letter.

Wow, crazy about your friend. did he put up a front by saying things like he was worried about you, and was just trying to help. What kinds of things were in the letter?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.