Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: March 17, 2016 07:13AM

When it comes to motab performances no one seems to care about the morg's treatment of women, children, gays, and the damage they do to people and families. I guess it's all about the feel-good choir, careers, money, broadcasts etc.

Who cares about people's lives...bring on the muppets!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: March 17, 2016 08:46AM

boycotting the motab ont make a damn bit of difference. if every exmo - and all their friends - boycotted motab, it wouldnt make a flyspeck of difference to their performance attendance.

protests dont really work against a feelgood event like a concert

ordinary, unaligned, people dont see people with a legitimate grievance - they see a bunch of banner waving uglies who hate music.

Posted by: Visitors welcome ( )
Date: March 18, 2016 01:33PM

It's better not to protest at a mormon concert or a mormon sports game, but at the entrance of a mormon chapel or a mormon temple, where the link between church and hate is easier to point out: if your daughter becomes mormon you won't be allowed to attend her wedding, that sort of thing.

Posted by: bordergirl ( )
Date: March 17, 2016 01:33PM

Protests and boycotts may or may not affect others, but they sure as heck work for me! I am in control of my actions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2016 01:33PM by bordergirl.

Posted by: Britboy ( )
Date: March 17, 2016 01:44PM

The tab choir was picketed in England in the 1980s. My friend took a leaflet which utimately lead to her and her family leaving and then to me and my family leaving!

Date: March 17, 2016 02:44PM

Really? OK

I had a similar but opposite experience.
the profit (Guess it must have been the Hinkster) did a gig at wembley arena, which was picketed by JW's.
I went, got 'leafleted' by a JW, and felt 100% better about my own cult and it made me feel that all JW's were jerks.

Of course, I didnt read the leaflet..... I mean you wouldnt would you..... you would have to be very short of reading material and desperate for something to read, to read a leaflet given to you by some nasty loud protester at a nice music concert

Date: March 17, 2016 06:00PM

Essexexmo which ward did you attend? I was in Romford stake in Essex!

Date: March 18, 2016 04:05AM

yes, me too.
ended my cult days at Grays ward.....I still live within the romford stake area, but not Grays now

Date: March 18, 2016 06:58AM

I was also in Grays ward. Was 1st councillor in Bishopric when i left . Left in 1988. When did yòu leave?

Date: March 18, 2016 08:57AM

around the early/mid 1990's - it was a slow exodus as my wife was a TBM - still is to an extent, but we are no longer married.

I was in Romford ward and moved to Grays in 1990. I was ward clerk there for a while. You may remember brother keith. a genial old chap looked like he wouldnt say boo to a goose.

I have occasionally repeated the story of how one of the bishopric went totally doollaly in a SS lesson - called me a liar and anti-mormon after I casually mentioned I had heard horny joe had a gun at carthage jail (we had just watched a film about the "martydom" of horny joe) ........ that was dear sweet old Keith.
:-)

Date: March 18, 2016 09:49AM

Ha ha, I remember Keith and his family very well. I was friends with his daughter wendy, who i believed has disappeared without trace! Keith was Bishop in the 1980s and was famous for asking intimate questions of young people! I believe he died a few years back . When i was in the bishopric Peter was Bishop, Arthur was stake president. Most of the young married couples i knew moved to Gloucester! I propably knew younif you went to Romford ward. Did you know the Giboin or Anker family? I also served a mission in England Leeds mission!

Date: March 18, 2016 04:56PM

I knew all the Giboins, and was friends with the ankers. I have been tempted to tell some stories about louis's building business, but a) no one would believe it and b) he never had any real malice... he was just a cowboy

Do you recall Jack Peak in Romford?
another story I have related was how myself and the wife were interviewed by the Bishop - who told us how oral sex was evil and you couldnt go to the temple if you practised it
that severely affected my relationship with my TBM wife - for the rest of our marriage.... even when the church no longer held that position
the bishop was Jack Peake

Date: March 18, 2016 05:02PM

Louis deals were famous, i remember when he was a model ! Mr Peake, wasnt he in the police, interviewed me for elder, quite a interview. I had only been in the church three months, so was shiny good! Who was Bishop in Grays when you left?

Date: March 19, 2016 05:17AM

Its hard to recall the exact person as I left over a period of time, and I never had a formal interview with the bish about leaving. I think it may have been arthur brooks - who had been SP but came back for a stint as bishop

Posted by: darkprincess ( )
Date: March 18, 2016 01:11PM

When the mo-tab came to my hometown the attendance was incredibly Bad. Tickets were available from popular big business ticket seller and the performance was in big theater for traveling shows.
The Mormon PR team gave tickets to local and statewide elected officials and other important local community people. I was working in a business for a person who was offered tickets and haphazardly mentioned to the PR guy when he came in that my mom was active and she told me that just listening to them built a testimony so she had been trying to get me to listen to them for years. I was just trying to do small talk but he immediately offered me two tickets.
We went and it was very clear that the sections for VIPs had lots of empty seats. Most of the people attending were Mormon, had garment lines, wore white shirts and ties, dresses that clearly covered garments. However the most noticeable thing was that 1/4 of all of the seats were empty.
The traveling mo-tab is simply to strengthen current member testimonies. I doubt they even cover their own costs when traveling.

Posted by: He was despisèd ( )
Date: March 19, 2016 06:35AM

Yeah, the boycotts/protests of the MoTab's Messiah performances are really having an impact.

The SL Tribune reports that all the tickets went in 7.5 minutes. Last year it only took 7 minutes. Wow, the Morg must be devasted.

Thank you for playing. Better luck next time.

Posted by: lulu two ( )
Date: March 19, 2016 03:39PM

Mack Wilberg's Messiah interpretation really sucks.

Some god awful attempt at original performance practice with a 300+ voice choir, gigantic organ and full modern orchestra.

Call it a boycott if you want, but just stay away.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.