Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: 6 iron ( )
Date: March 18, 2016 04:26PM

Sorry, wrong.

The correct answer is-

Earth spins at 1,600 kmph

Earth rotates around the sun at 107,000 kmph

Earth mulls around in the galaxy at 70,000 kmph

Galaxy rotates at 792,000 kmph

Galaxy is flying through space at 2.1 million kmph

So you are moving at 3,070,600 kmph and you think you are stationary.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: March 18, 2016 04:32PM

:D :D :D

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: March 18, 2016 04:35PM

I was going to say one foot in the grave and the other one on a banana peel.

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: March 18, 2016 04:40PM

There is no one central point of reference in space to calculate exactly how fast we are moving. We can only calculate speed relative to arbitrary points, which are moving themselves.

The better question is, are we moving at all?

Posted by: nonamekid ( )
Date: March 18, 2016 08:30PM

1. The tangential velocity due to Earth's rotation depends on latitude - it is maximum at the equator and zero at the poles. If you are referring to angular velocity, then your units are incorrect, and you cannot add it directly to the other velocities.

2.You also need to add in the velocity of expansion of the universe that we are moving through.

3. You can only directly add these velocities if they are all going in the same direction - otherwise they must be added vectorially which would require knowing the direction of each of these motions.
The motion due to Earth's rotation relative to the galaxy will be opposite in winter than in summer for example.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2016 08:31PM by nonamekid.

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: March 18, 2016 08:47PM

https://www.lds.org/scriptures/bofm/hel/12.15?lang=eng

The Book of Mormon's view of the universe is so much simpler!

Posted by: gettinreal ( )
Date: March 18, 2016 08:49PM

Motion is relative. As such, how fast am I moving in relation to what???

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: March 18, 2016 08:54PM

Compared to the ground under my feet, zero m.p.h.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 18, 2016 10:00PM

movement is relative.

Posted by: HC ( )
Date: March 18, 2016 10:09PM

Well, if the earth is flat though, that might change a few calculations. I realize there is lots of evidence the earth is not flat, but I have chosen to doubt my doubts and accept the flatness on faith.

And I'm not going anywhere fast!

Posted by: GC ( )
Date: March 18, 2016 10:10PM

Sorry, my handle is "GC"

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: March 18, 2016 10:19PM

Fun :) But I didn't think I was stationary. Or an envelope, either! <snicker>

Don't forget, though, that for half of a day, the earth is rotating opposite our direction of travel around the sun, canceling out part of *that* speed. Details matter!

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: March 19, 2016 08:14AM

I get ahead of myself all the time. That doesn't count, though.

I live in Quito, a couple kilometers south of the Equator. So I'm twirling around faster than most. Which, if you knew me, would explain a lot.

(Remember when we were kids and we'd twirl around in circles until we got too high and toppled over? I've always wanted to try that at the poles...)

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: March 19, 2016 08:20AM

She told me about the Ecuadorian version of "The War Of The Worlds radio broadcast back in the fifties.

http://www.war-ofthe-worlds.co.uk/war_worlds_quito.htm

Posted by: lapsed ( )
Date: March 19, 2016 09:20AM

Can I count that as cardio?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 19, 2016 12:07PM

If everything is moving away from the spot where the Big Bang occurred, does that mean there is a growing "bubble" of emptiness that has the point of the Big Bang at its center?

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: March 19, 2016 12:39PM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If everything is moving away from the spot where
> the Big Bang occurred, does that mean there is a
> growing "bubble" of emptiness that has the point
> of the Big Bang at its center?

This is (more or less---it is a complicated subject!!!) what I have been working on lately (when I have to wait for someone, etc.)...from cosmology down to quantum physics.

This is difficult material for me (I can read the English perfectly well...it's just understanding (even in a relatively elementary sense) what I am reading that is hard!!! ;)

My sense is: The expanding "bubble" from the Big Bang is real (and measurable, to an astounding-to-me extent)...but it isn't "emptiness," so much as a whole other thing mostly known as "dark matter," that both composes, and "fills" the growing space...AND parallel universes are almost certainly "real" (or as "real" as we humans are presently able to understand), and (from the level of, say, an individual electron) we unknowingly interact with them all the time (think of the various waves---magnetic, gravitational, etc.---that we are constantly---but, for the most part, unknowingly, interacting with during every moment of our individual existences...and, at least provisionally, add "parallel universes" to that list, because they evidently are real at the electron-level, which is indicative of possible/probably reality at other levels).

I'm not saying that I'm ever going to truly understand most of this (even the parts that are now established mainstream science, and that probably every entering Caltech and MIT student knows like they know their ABC's), but I steadily continue to struggle on...

...as the effects of the Big Bang continue to reverberate through you...and me...and literally EVERYTHING we humans know to be reality.

Excellent post, EOD!!!

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: March 19, 2016 03:07PM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If everything is moving away from the spot where
> the Big Bang occurred, does that mean there is a
> growing "bubble" of emptiness that has the point
> of the Big Bang at its center?

As the "big bang" was the origin of both space and time...there was no "spot" where it occurred. At least not one in our space (or our concept of it).
And what's growing isn't "emptiness," it's space -- which we've found out *isn't* emptiness. It's something.

Yeah, it's complicated and confusing and not entirely understood yet. Which is very cool, and gives scientists something to do. Just be glad the expansion of the universe (which is actually space expanding, taking the stuff in it along for the ride) doesn't push your slice further out of the fairway (yet)! :)

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 19, 2016 07:03PM

What if the Big Bang wasn't so much an explosion, as a bursting pipe from another dimension? And what if it was a sewer pipe?

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: March 20, 2016 03:09AM

Oh, so the stuff coming out of the bursting sewer pipe from another dimension is what they call Dark Matter.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: March 20, 2016 03:34AM

This post would have made sense back in 1904, before Einstein's
paper on special relativity that was published in 1905.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.