Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: my2cents ( )
Date: March 19, 2016 07:31PM

My wife and I have been inactive for years and finally resigned over a year ago. We still have family and friends who are active but have found ways to navigate that quagmire without offending too many while still standing our ground on occasion. Two things have happened recently that I'll share.

First, we are close friends with an active couple. He was just recently called as bishop of their ward. He is one who goes all in on anything he does. Since no one bothers to show up to clean the chapel, he ends up doing it by himself, which takes even more time away from his wife. In addition to a 50 hour a week job, and part-time military duty, he accepted this bishop calling. Well his wife had to sit him down the other day and told him that his "effing" neglect of her for his church job was on the way to ruining their marriage. She actually used the "f" word on him, which I thought was priceless. I hope he listens to her.

Second. My daughter-in-law's parents have worked for the church for many years as caretakers and staff at a church-owned summer camp which has a lodge, cabins, etc. He is about 62. Last week a couple of representatives of the church from SLC showed up to give them notice that they no longer have a job. The job will now be done by 2 sister missionaries. They also required him to sign a 3-year no compete agreement and agree not to sue the church. He can't take a job anywhere else as a camp caretaker for 3 years? What the hell does the church care so much that he can't work at what he knows for a couple of years? And he can't sue them over it. Just to show how much the TBM sheep fall in line, he signed both. Unbelievable!

No compassion, no humanity, only a thought for its own bottom line, that is the true nature of the LDS Church.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 19, 2016 07:44PM

Makes you proud to be an apostate, doesn’t it?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 19, 2016 07:45PM

Well, it does me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2016 07:46PM by elderolddog.

Posted by: Oliver Cowardly ( )
Date: March 19, 2016 08:05PM

"They also required him to sign a 3-year no compete agreement and agree not to sue the church."

In exchange for what? Did the church offer *anything* in return for signing the NCA? What would the cult have done if the in-laws had refused to sign?

Yes, the church is venal and heartless. That said, *IF* the in-laws got nothing back, and meekly signed just because the cult ordered them to, then (sorry to say this but) they deserved to be taken and fleeced. At some point, people are obligated to stand up for themselves. Doormats shouldn't be surprised when they are trodden upon.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: March 19, 2016 08:50PM

They should consult a lawyer. Sounds like they used religious power to intimidate them. That cannot be legal. Too bad more people don't confront TSCC on these issues.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: March 19, 2016 08:52PM

Knowing missionaries are being used to do what should be professional cleaning jobs means I'll never step foot in another Mormon owned building for fear of catching something. Yuck! I didn't see many missionaries who took their service very seriously.

Posted by: my2cents ( )
Date: March 19, 2016 09:06PM

I agree, they should have refused to sign that. But the mentality of lifelong TBM's who have never questioned anything makes them ripe for this kind of ecclesiastical abuse.

I guarantee they will not question any of this. So sad.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.