Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: March 21, 2016 09:55AM

Scenes from "When Worlds Collide" (1951)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpHjO37JfRw

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2016 09:57AM by anybody.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: March 21, 2016 10:18AM

Their library was a little incomplete. Did you notice that they only had Vol. A of the set of encyclopedias?

I never saw anything that looked like worlds colliding. Just a volcano erupting and everything blowing apart. Oh well. It was still fun to watch!

I loved the toggle switch space ship controls. Press 1,3,4. Oh no, we're not coming in straight. Quick! Press 2&5! Ahhh. Whew!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2016 10:20AM by seekyr.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: March 21, 2016 11:56AM

Philip Wylie wrote a sequel called "After Worlds Collide" where they settle on Bronson Beta. I read the books when I was a kid after seeing the movie. Great stuff.

My favorite end of the world is whichever one is happening this year. I can never get enough of the hysteria.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: March 21, 2016 08:29PM

Posted by: notamormon ( )
Date: March 21, 2016 12:23PM

One of my favorite books by Wylie was "The Disappearance" when men disappear from women and women disappear from men.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: March 21, 2016 04:52PM

H.G. Wells' The Time Machine. At the very end of the world, there are only two living things, and they are trying to kill each other.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 21, 2016 05:24PM

In Joe Haldeman's "The Forever War", he has human making it to the stars, so that no one world's end means the end of humanity. As for the earth, things get sparse and the best and the brightest leave for fresh horizons, until finally it's agreed by those remaining to chose one male and one female, both genetically gay, who then clone themselves and eventually the Earth is populated by millions of copies of the original two gay humans.

From my perspective, it's every guy is me and every gal is her! And you know how, in general, we all like ourselves.

He didn't spend anytime attempting to flesh this out, it was an 'in passing' bit of information.

Lovely book...

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: March 21, 2016 05:38PM

In my dreams some arcane disaster occurs turning everyone into midgets and filling the atmosphere with helium, so everybody scurries around looking and sounding like the Munchkins in "The Wizard of Oz."

Too bad it probably will never happen. Far more likely is the Earth and all its inhabitants succumbing to ennui.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 21, 2016 05:42PM

I had a dream once where I was in a large liquor supermarket in the town where I once lived. Everyone in the store got word that nuclear war had broken out. So we all sort of looked at each other and we simultaneously reached for whatever liquor bottle was closest. I mean, what else are you going to do? I got a chuckle out of that one when I woke up.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.