Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Liz ( )
Date: March 23, 2016 05:59PM

Are there traditions you continue to keep within the family?
Will you be cooking something new with the change of belief in your religious views?
Is Easter dinner a big part of the celebration for the day?
What are favorite dinner menus for Easter and especially what are favorite desserts.

I tend to stay away from anything made with jello now.

I will be having a mixed group of dinner guests. By mixed, I mean half active and half unbelievers in the LDS faith.

Sometimes just knowing what others are doing gives me strength to carry on during religious holidays. I like observing the coming of spring. Deviled eggs definitely have a place on the table.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: March 23, 2016 06:38PM

Glazed ham, potatoes, parsnips, BEER and WINE...and whatever else my dear wife comes up with.

RB

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: March 23, 2016 06:52PM

Halibut cooked on the grill. Whatever the kids bring with them.

We will probably drink plenty of wine. Jesus seemed to like it.

Posted by: onendagus ( )
Date: March 23, 2016 07:01PM

Blood pudding. You know, in honor.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: March 23, 2016 07:47PM

My dauther's fiance will be cooking. I am not sure about what he's preparing, but I do know it will include deviled eggs.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 23, 2016 07:54PM

Either a hot dog at the golf course or a Banquet chicken pot pie. Either way, Jesus loves me.

Posted by: liesarenotuseful ( )
Date: March 24, 2016 11:15AM

you're still eating pot pies?

Date: March 24, 2016 11:43AM

No, I confess that I just used 'pot pie' for effect. I'm more likely to have a big Snickers bar and a couple of Shock Tops.

Okay, that was for effect, too... I'll be eating something tasty and nutritious, like sashimi with lots and lots of rice. Or maybe my famous (it's all over FB!) Nacho Steak Bowl.

Posted by: liesarenotuseful ( )
Date: March 24, 2016 06:18PM

haha!

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: March 23, 2016 08:12PM

I did a ham last weekend (long story) so I told hubby I am NOT doing another this weekend! I am thinking a nice roast beef, mashed tatoes, gravy, broccoli with hollandaise and a nice salad and rolls of some sort. Most the time I keep it to ONE starch but hey, it's a holiday. Hubby can have his rolls :)

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: March 23, 2016 11:05PM

I made this quiche at one of our Christmas dinners and it was wonderful.

http://www.cooks.com/recipe/b25ge6yu/ham-n-swiss-cheese-broccoli-quiche.html

And these are top rated pie shells if you aren't into making your own.

http://www.wegmans.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10052&catalogId=10002&productId=665030

Posted by: shortbobgirl ( )
Date: March 23, 2016 08:14PM

Whatever my BFF puts on the table.

Posted by: annieg ( )
Date: March 23, 2016 08:23PM

Ham, scalloped potatoes, grilled asparagus, mixed green salad, rolls, wine- red and white, carrot cake and ice cream with Easter egg hunt and gift bags for kids. Someone else is bringing hours d'oevres of some sort.

Easter and Christmas dinners are exactly the same each year and have been for decades.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: March 23, 2016 08:28PM

I'm baking a couple British Columbia Sockeye salmon filets for supper tomorrow night. Kinda of a nice treat as a lead up to our Easter feast on Saturday (because my son and his family have to head home on Sunday). Really looking to a weekend of culinary wonderfulness and good grog and wine with my little family.

RB

Posted by: pugsly ( )
Date: March 23, 2016 08:31PM

Ham, potato salad, sautéed Brussel sprouts, baked beans, deviled eggs, homemade yeast rolls, homemade coconut pie, homemade lemon pie, sweet tea, booze.
That is traditional for my family; to my TBM family Easter is just another day. My mom will probably fix boiled hot dogs or something!

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: March 23, 2016 08:48PM

Of lasagna, pot roast, or game hens, he settled on pot roast with mashed potatoes.
Will probably make roasted garlic brussel sprouts as a side and maybe try making a sorbet or just buy a cheesecake or something.

I originally planned on spending Easter alone as he was going to be on a drill shift in Gallup, but instead he only has to work an hour away for the drill shifts.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: March 23, 2016 08:54PM

A two thousand year old Hebrew zombie. I hear he likes soul food.

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: March 23, 2016 09:24PM

Fried rabbit and hard boiled eggs.

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: March 23, 2016 09:50PM

elderolddog ( ), "Either a hot dog at the golf course or a Banquet chicken pot pie. Either way, Jesus loves me."

And so do we, elderolddog.
---

My hubby and I were just talking about this. Our tradition has been a leg of lamb. (He is from lamb country, Idaho; and also lamb was a traditional food (and milk) animal for Israelite's.) Try it with green jelly (not jello), rice, and lamb gravy.

Best Wishes for all, this biggest of all Pass-Over day (as I remember it, Biblical mistakenly called Easter, the name of the pagans' fertility goddess).

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: March 24, 2016 02:08AM

I thought everybody did. My grandma (who was such a great cook she could probably make last week's gym socks taste good!) would always make dozens of little slits in the roast and put slivers of fresh garlic into them. The roast would come out of the oven with this wonderful, garlicky flavor. And the mint jelly - yum!

When I fixed this for my current DH's kids, they regarded it with deep suspicion. They had never tasted lamb. The youngest refused to try it at all. And they could not understand why anyone would want to eat GREEN jelly. Epic fail.

Another time, I tried a baked ham, scored and with a whole clove in each little square, basted in a sauce made of orange juice, brown sugar, and dry mustard. The step-kids were also suspicious of this one, but they tried it, and most of them liked it. DH, however, does not like ham. I was lucky to get away with a little corned beef for St Paddy's Day.

Not sure what to fix this time. I don't cook much any more. I can't be on my feet for long due to arthritic degeneration of my low back.

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: March 24, 2016 01:59AM

Having brunch at a local country club with my Catholic family. It's kind of an impromptu event since half of my sibs are scattered across the country this weekend. All I know for sure is that I will be enjoying a spicy Bloody Mary, or two.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2016 02:00AM by surprenant.

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: March 24, 2016 02:44AM

Traditionally, we used to have lamb for Easter--until my daughter and I got acquainted with some sheep, as people, one summer at our family cabin. We refuse to eat a sheep, so we have ham (I miss the mint jelly, though) and potato rolls large enough for ham sandwiches. We have potatoes au gratin. Deviled eggs--of course! We were all born and raised in California, so we must have artichokes--takes twice as long to cook them than at sea-level--and baked crabapples (we used to have a crabapple tree), orange-glazed carrots (grew carrots, had orange trees), fresh fruit and Lucern Valley cheese and Mendocino wine.

Easter is the only Sunday I cook dinner, unless Christmas or someone's birthday falls on Sunday. When we left Mormonism, we went to a Christian church that had a lovely Sunday morning service for one hour--and their Easter service was inspiring! Then, we would come home and play all day Sunday. No one had to stay home and cook. We usually would have pizza, or Moo Goo Guy Pan, or tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches. My "rebellion" against the subservience of Mormon women, and the meat-eating men who dominated us.

I also refuse to eat jell-o--it's made out of cow's hoofs, isn't it? I threw away all the Mormon pioneer recipes that included lard, and butter, and tons of sugar in the ingredients. Eating healthy, for the other 6 days of the week, is my personal statement against the Word-of-Wisdom diet. Substitute coffee for Pepsi, and there you go!

Have a happy Easter, YOUR way!

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: March 24, 2016 09:46AM

Orange-glazed carrots, I forgot that one. Thanks!

And I usually add ginger or cinnamon.

Date: March 24, 2016 09:42AM

Anything that reminds me of home.

Pork Chops with Mango Chutney
Mashed Potatoes with Chicken Gravy
Green Beans with Almonds

And I used to hate pumpkin pie, but I can't think of any other food I find so evocative and nostalgic these days.

Date: March 24, 2016 09:48AM

And toasted sourdough rolls with butter. Three times a year!

Posted by: looking in ( )
Date: March 24, 2016 10:05AM

Ham, scalloped potatoes, some kind of vegetable dish or salad, and probably cabbage rolls and perogies. Wine and beer for the grown ups and chocolate eggs for the little grandkids.

Posted by: brigantia not logged in ( )
Date: March 24, 2016 11:51AM

Roast leg of Welsh spring lamb with mint sauce and all the trimmings.

Traditional in my neck of the woods.

Yummy.

Briggy

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: March 24, 2016 12:37PM

It's just another sunday.

Weather's so nice, I'll probably cook some steaks on the grill outside :)

Date: March 24, 2016 12:48PM

As if! It's the most sacred day in the egg growing and distribution industry! Second only to Halloween.

See how the egg industry covered both saints and sinners?

In England, they would muzzle the dogs on Easter Sunday fox hunts in honor of Jesus. The riders in the hunt would finally come upon the fox, surrounded by yammering dogs, all taking a turn at poking the poor thing with their muzzled snouts, and then the Hunt Master would call out, "As Jesus rose from the grave on this day, so shall this fox rise to be hunted and slaughtered on another day. Keeper of the Dogs, send them hence!"

After the dogs were gone, the fox would take off, and all present would remove their hats and chant, "Run away, run away, praising our Lord Jesus, who gave you another day!" Then they would all ride back to the castle and diddle each other until it was time to dress for dinner.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: March 24, 2016 02:45PM

To honor the nonexistant jeebus... I think I shall maybe

take a page from Hie's book and Barbeque up the ying yang or

take a page from your story and chase the fox with my dogs

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: March 24, 2016 02:48PM

saucie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> To honor the nonexistant jeebus... I think I shall
> maybe
>
> take a page from Hie's book and Barbeque up the
> ying yang or
>
> take a page from your story and chase the fox with
> my dogs

Or as Elder oldog said "After the dogs were gone, the fox would take off, and all present would remove their hats and chant, "Run away, run away, praising our Lord Jesus, who gave you another day!" Then they would all ride back to the castle and diddle each other until it was time to dress for dinner.

Is that where they got the expression "hey Diddle, Diddle the cat and the fiddle , the cow jumped over the moon?

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: March 24, 2016 02:57PM

I'll probably have a sandwich or soup. I'm not going out.

Posted by: unworthy ( )
Date: March 24, 2016 04:35PM

Neighbor gave me some elk home made sausages. Putting them in the smoker and they are bringing side dishes. Probably make some fine wine disappear.

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: March 24, 2016 05:28PM

My brother and his wife have been hosting a day-before-Easter family gathering for more than 20 years now. Usually, about 50-70 people show up. It's our only family reunion anymore. About half are TBM, and the rest are Jack-Mormons or evil apostates.

My brother barbecues a big ham, and everybody brings whatever else they want. The last few years, I've been buying deli croissants and chicken salad and pimento cheese and making sandwiches. They're very popular. There are always lots of pasta dishes, sweet potato casseroles, veggie trays, chicken tenders, hot dogs and hamburgers for the kids, and cakes, pies, and brownies.

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: March 24, 2016 05:42PM

Ham, potatoes, green and macaroni salads, glazed carrots, dinner rolls, heroin, pie, 7-Up, ice cream.

Then it's time to kick back, watch a little TV, play some checkers or backgammon, work on the jigsaw puzzle some more, have sex with underage hookers, maybe throw the frisbee around with the dog, help the Mrs. with the dishes--you know, the usual.

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: March 24, 2016 06:35PM

grilled beef loin tri-tip

Posted by: eldorado ( )
Date: March 24, 2016 10:04PM

Grilled lamb if it's nice,roasted in the oven if not nice outside.Baked potatoes,roasted or grilled asparagus,Caesar Salad with anchovies, and a heated up frozen cherry pie.I have no idea when we will do eggs or baskets probably Friday or next weekend due to the fact DH likes to keep the religious and the bunny part seprate, and spring brakes does not start till the April fourth.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.