Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: March 23, 2016 06:21PM

Today it just popped into my head how much chutzpah it takes to designate someone as a 'General Authority'. And what the title implies about the way the church leads.

I googled it, and apparently this title is almost unique to the LDS church. No small wonder. It's kind of an over reaching and non-specific title.

Mormons hang on every word these guys say, and bend their own opinions to agree with them. Mormons doubt their OWN thoughts and doubts, if a GA tells them to.

It seems so strange to me now. I'm the authority in my own life. I can't imagine giving that up again.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: iflewover ( )
Date: March 23, 2016 06:26PM

Joe went way beyond GA...up to and including "God" for his manifold titles.
GA is nothing.

We have little idea or concept of his chutzpah...he'd be in an asylum these days.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2016 06:28PM by iflewover.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: March 23, 2016 06:37PM

You can always use the term "General Authoritah" (made famous by Eric Cartman of Southpark) with TBMs.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: March 23, 2016 06:40PM

Isn't a General Authority the same thing as a "know it all?"

Date: March 23, 2016 07:09PM

Yeah, I think it's like that.

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: March 24, 2016 05:11PM

"Isn't a General Authority the same thing as a "know it all?"

Yep. Like Cliff Claven, for instance. Somebody needs to develop a comedy bit with Cliff Claven as a GA giving a conference sermon.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: March 23, 2016 06:55PM

General, as opposed to specific, authorities? I thought the Q-15 were supposed to be specifically prophets, seers, and revelators?

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 23, 2016 08:20PM

does this beat the pompousness of calling themselves "saints" ?

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: March 23, 2016 08:29PM

"Audacity" is a great choice of words here. The word authority was most likely chosen to make the men feel important and to put some good ole fear into the hearts of the peons so they will blindly follow men who are filled with 'authority'.

The word audacity certainly can be used to describe so much of what the cult does and says. It is an audacity to call Monson a prophet, seer and revelator when his record stands as it does. It is an audacity to claim the Book of Mormon is the most correct book on earth given to us by God when it has been corrected umpteen-hundred times and when it has no historicity facts to back up its many claims. And, it is an audacity to claim over and over that the cult is surely now in 'the latter-days' and Christ will soon pop in, when the prophecy does not deliver,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2016 08:30PM by presleynfactsrock.

Posted by: anonculus ( )
Date: March 23, 2016 08:38PM

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: March 23, 2016 08:29PM

I know what you're saying!

It's presumptuous and hilarious at the same time.

Posted by: ChubbyTheFat ( )
Date: March 23, 2016 09:16PM

"General Authority" sounds like something that come from a rewrite of Orwell's 1984.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: March 23, 2016 10:13PM

Are you evil speaking of the Lord's anointed? I hope so.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: March 23, 2016 10:27PM

They are just words...and if you attach no authority or power to them...and the people they are attached to, then they mean nothing. The cult wants their sheep to think anyone designated as a GA has almost magical powers and must be revered...but nobody outside the LDS church knows or cares about GA's.

RB

Posted by: Oregonboy ( )
Date: March 23, 2016 10:35PM

I'm the authority in my own life. I can't imagine giving that up again.

This alone is enough to leave the LDS church. Stand on your OWN two feet, be your OWN person, genuine, authentic, full of integrity.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 23, 2016 10:40PM

The sheeple rush to them for a consult about 'special' situations (thus feeding their egos), only reply/response will be a letter from a functionary who rebounds them back to locals..

Then, the locals resent being leap-frogged as if they Couldn't resolve the situation/problem in the first place.

So then, one local will give One 'answer' to a situation, and another, neighboring local will give a 180 Different response to a similar situation; No consistency whatsoever.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2016 10:41PM by GNPE.

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: March 23, 2016 10:46PM

From Wikipedia:

"A general authority's jurisdiction is church-wide, in contrast to the responsibilities of a local authority or an area authority, which relate to a particular area, unit, or department of the church."

So it's just referring to their jurisdiction within the church.
I don't really care what they call themselves. I like Grand Poobah, myself.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 23, 2016 10:50PM

the word/term/idea of Authority coincides with the LDS culture of deference to leaders.

they could have chosen/used 'General Leader', couldn't they have?

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: March 23, 2016 11:10PM

CEO or General Manager would be fitting too.

Date: March 24, 2016 12:24AM

Upper management.
The twelve could be the board of directors.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: March 23, 2016 11:18PM

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: March 23, 2016 11:19PM

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: March 23, 2016 11:50PM

Religions love titles. Think about the authority of the title: pope!! General Authority is mild in comparison.

Business uses titles also. It's a long held way to organize people into high to low status.

It's great to remove religious authority from my life. It does not have a place in the way I live.

Date: March 24, 2016 12:37AM

Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner. Yes. It's high status and low status thing. We were trained to give deference to the higher up leaders.

And I use the word 'leader' somewhat sarcastically. Very few of them are leaders. They just do what they are told. They are proven followers.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: March 24, 2016 12:17AM

I once asked a GA what he was a general authority of. He just laughed it off. No answer. Hmmmmm.

Posted by: frogdogs ( )
Date: March 24, 2016 12:36AM

Once I realized what they truly represent, I started thinking of them as general businessmen. Their so-called spiritual authority is built upon the veneer of a successful career in the everyday world. Big fucking deal. Being born to certain parents, generally being in the right place at the right time, where their unexceptional work ethic happened to pay off due to being lucky. I'd no more take advice on how to live my life from the owner of the local car dealership than some dude working for LDS Inc. Oh wait, that's what they think I should do because they've got a direct line to the almighty.

That's some crazy bullshit, right there.

Posted by: antilehinephi ( )
Date: March 24, 2016 06:49AM

It was very liberating to realize that men have no magical power and the bishop was some random guy who lived around the corner.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: March 24, 2016 04:22PM

The bishop who interrogated me about masturbation was a genital authority.

Posted by: op47 ( )
Date: March 24, 2016 04:48PM

The Mormons seem to use similar titles to other churches, but apply them to more junior positions. For example, in other churches that use the title deacon, it would be for someone who is at least an adult and generally for a senior congregation leader. Bishops seem to be a congregation leader, comparable to Rector, Vicar, Priest, Minister in other churches. In other churches, a bishop would be a very senior figure, responsible for many congregations. As would an elder.

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: March 25, 2016 12:32AM

I am a SPECIFIC authority.

If you only want general knowledge, ask a general authority.

(Good luck, btw.)

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: March 25, 2016 01:52AM

And that outranks any "General Authority" any time. EL-ron says so!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.