Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Battle-Ax ( )
Date: March 25, 2016 11:32AM

I just heard from a friend that said the missionaries in the Belgium attack were saved by their temple garments. He said the one missionary was not burned where his garments were. Not wanting to cause a problem I didn't say much. So a few minutes ago I saw an interview on CNN of one of the missionaries in the hospital with his parents. It appears he was right. He had wraps on his full head, face and hands but his chest looked fine. So not to be insensitive but his garments saved his torso but his head and hands were almost F &^% burned off???? So what is the good of that. I guess his junk was saved for eternal use. Now my thoughts and best wishes go out to this family but I hate when people say God or some garment saved me, really how do you think that makes the families feel that lost their loved ones that didn't survive.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GodLedMeOut nli ( )
Date: March 25, 2016 11:39AM

Glad they are bringing such attention to magical Mormons. NOT!!

They've just turned themselves and missionaries everywhere into terrorist targets.

Go to general conference? No way on earth!

Posted by: shadowofadoubt ( )
Date: March 25, 2016 11:45AM

I demand garment head wraps! My skull and its contents are pretty valuable to me ;)

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: March 25, 2016 03:19PM

I guess it's time for multi-sex burkas.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: March 25, 2016 12:04PM

I heard that the guy they've been talking about, who "survived" Boston and Paris bombing, had shrapnel wounds; it wound be a miracle if garmies stopped shrapnel.

Or a coincidence. Or I heard wrong.

Posted by: shortbobgirl ( )
Date: March 25, 2016 12:33PM

This kid needs to get home and stay home. He appears to have more lives than a cat. At some point his luck is going to run out.

Posted by: onendagus ( )
Date: March 25, 2016 12:40PM

He is fortunate for coming out of this event. Being a "survivor" of the other ones is a gross exaggeration. Snopes debunked the crap about him being a triple survivor.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: March 27, 2016 10:10PM

I was in London when the tube bombing took place there.
I was way on the other side of town. Only barely inconvenienced (though horrified).

Does that make me a "survivor?" Don't think so.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: March 25, 2016 01:40PM

This is just another example of clueless church members taking advantage of the tragedies of others, to make themselves appear to be superior. The church grows and feeds on this kind of exploitation of false perceptions created by fools and narcissists.

Perhaps the missionary's suit protected him yet more than his under-garments did, which were also protected by their suit jackets. Who knows? But from lifelong personal experience, I can confidently say that this story has been embellished, re-told, and embellished again (for who knows how many iterations), that it's statistically likely to be a complete lie. Never believe these kinds of stories unless it actually happened to you.

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: March 25, 2016 10:45PM

What about every righteous Mormon wearing temple garments that have died in the last 30 days in a car accident or other tragedy?

How about the last 25 years?

This is such bullshit. I watched Bill Marriott say his garments saved him from being burned during a boating accident. Who wears their garments on a boat?

Sounds like Paul H. Dunn bullshit to me. I don't care if you do own a hotel motherfucker. You can lie just as easy as the next guy.

Posted by: formermollymormon ( )
Date: March 26, 2016 02:08AM

My dad wore his garments on the boat. He water skied so he would change into his swimsuit and then back into his clothes. It must have been such a pain to keep changing clothes. My mom wore hers, too. She didn't like the water so she never put on a swimsuit.

Dad's garmies sure didn't save him from getting his hand sliced open when he was trying to fix something on the boat. We had quite the adventures on the boat. Our boat was broadsided by another boat that was out on an LDS youth outing. Only one adult was on board and he was watching the kid skiing behind his boat instead of watching where he was going. He came up from behind at an angle so it was difficult for us to see him. Fortunately, no one was hurt and there wasn't much damage to our boat. Maybe the boat itself has a lining with garments and that is what saved us. :-)

Posted by: Topper ( )
Date: March 25, 2016 02:17PM

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: March 27, 2016 12:41PM

Here's Marriott telling this story...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cC1VHMQmAUw

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 25, 2016 03:24PM

I was living in King County, Washington during all of February, 1983, so I'm a 'survivor' of the Wah Mee massacre (which occurred in the city of Seattle, International District)...

I 'knew' you wanted to know that!

Posted by: Easy Coast Exmo ( )
Date: March 25, 2016 03:31PM

So the missionary got flash burns where his skin wasn't covered? It's a miracle! Garments might also prevent sunburn.

I'd be more impressed if they stopped bullets and shrapnel.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: March 25, 2016 04:08PM

Naturally the mighty seer and revelator had a vision and called them up not to travel.

But of course, they did not heed the warning of the still small voice. Such a heavy price to pay indeed. <sarcasm>

Posted by: 3X (nli) ( )
Date: March 25, 2016 04:58PM

Posted by: allegro ( )
Date: March 25, 2016 06:09PM

I was watching the news this morning and they had the interview with the missionary that had been in Boston(news stated he was blocks away and saw the smoke) and "Northern France." They wanted to make clear he was not in Paris. He was speaking about his companions and was saying how grateful he was they were so lucky. Then the commentator said,"he must not be aware that one of the missionaries is in a medically induced coma and not doing well." I just wish people could be honest. These are human beings that have been hurt badly, not church PR.

Posted by: Imbolc ( )
Date: March 26, 2016 11:12AM

"These are human beings that have been hurt badly, not church PR."

I've been thinking this the whole time. It makes me sick when Mormons (or anyone else for that matter) use a tragedy to try and drum up business. They can't give it a f#cking rest!

All Mormons can think is, "Hey, Mormons are in the news. Don't you want to join up?" As though nonmembers can't not see how special they are and think they want to be just like them.

What would help is if Mormons would react to tragedies like normal people with normal feelings, and not use it for pr purposes. It makes them look like vultures or vampires, or unfeeling sociopaths, in other words cultish. But they'll never realize that. All they can think is how can they present the church so nonmembers will want to join. It's always a matter of being an example.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 25, 2016 06:39PM

I've heard unverified hints of dubious rumors that drug lords, heads of states, including Muslim countries, and corporate barons are paying top dollar for garments, and that you can get over a thousand dollars for a nice pair of the old one piece garments. All because of their verified protective qualities!!

True story!!!

Posted by: Exmoron ( )
Date: March 25, 2016 07:59PM

I heard a rumor that the US Marine corp exec's are looking into the fabric made from the garmets for possible utilization in future deployment gear, including a full body version.

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: March 27, 2016 03:29PM

I know you are joking.

Adding on to the joke -- put in a bid to the DOD and you might be selected getting paid millions of dollars to contribute to such a stupid program and get paid for it. Wouldn't be the first time a contract was awarded for a very stupid idea.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 25, 2016 07:32PM

NBC Nightly News had a segment about that missionary who was also in Boston and Paris during the time of those bombings. He looks like he is really suffering. His entire face, head, and one ear are covered in those stretchy kind of bandages they put on burn victims. Only his eyes, mouth, nostrils, and one ear are exposed. His upper chest does look mostly okay, but it looks like he has one wound there. I was thinking to myself that he is lucky to keep his ears. He remembers seeing the flash of the explosion.

His parents are with him, thankfully. They were wearing sterile garb to visit with him in the video. IMO he will be going home after his hospitalization -- I don't see any other outcome. His mission is over. I sincerely hope that LDS Inc. will be covering his medical bills. I would be *outraged* if the church is not. I think that the exmo community needs to stay on top of this issue. The church *must* be held accountable to take care of his medical expenses. His recovery will not be a short one.

Posted by: temnamedeborah ( )
Date: March 25, 2016 11:01PM

I was surprised to see that the church had allowed the parents of the missionary. Of course, it was filmed for the news!

Posted by: 64monkey ( )
Date: March 25, 2016 07:49PM

I wish the young man well and good health for the rest of his life and hope one day he realizes the magic sky daddy or magic underwear and nothing to do with who lived or died. God does not discriminate and if he does he's the dick I always thought he was.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 25, 2016 10:49PM

Believing you are an 'elect of ghawd' is a lot more fulfilling than simply believing that life is a crap shoot.

Posted by: Flyer ( )
Date: March 26, 2016 01:50PM

Will someone please point this out to Morgbots?

So irritating for this kid to think that because he survived, it was God's will. Since that would mean anyone that anyone who didn't survive, that was also God's will.

Posted by: liesarenotuseful ( )
Date: March 26, 2016 03:56PM

No doubt these young missionaries' families are so happy they weren't killed. But with over 30 killed and (did I read that right?) 300 injured, it seems wrong to focus on mormon missionaries. The loved ones of the others are devastated.

Posted by: cheezus ( )
Date: March 27, 2016 07:26PM

He will make the rounds on the "fireside" circuit. Come see the elder who survived by righteousness. He is the next Mormon celebrity like unto Elizabeth Smart.

Posted by: The Voice of Reason ( )
Date: March 28, 2016 04:03PM

I saw a picture with a mummified looking person, and the headline said God protected us in that airport. I was like really? Because it sure doesn't look it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.