Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: March 25, 2016 11:45PM

http://investigations.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/08/13/13262285-mormon-church-earns-7-billion-a-year-from-tithing-analysis-indicates

According to this estimate, LD$, Inc. makes seven billion dollars a year. But where does all this money go? Unlike leaders of other religious frauds (Jim and Tammy Faye Baker, Rev. Ike, etc) the Brethren are not living a lifestyle of conspicuous consumption.

How many GAs (a/k/a "The Brethren") are there? Any idea how this money is dispersed? Like any MLM, there are a few people at the top who have reached the director level and live off the proceeds of the people at the bottom who buy their products.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: March 26, 2016 12:26AM

I dunno, a $900,000 car seems pretty conspicuous to me.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: March 26, 2016 12:38AM

Chandeliers and custom doorknobs/hinges for temples?

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: March 26, 2016 12:58AM

One thing we know for sure. It doesn't go back to the people who paid into it. No way no how.

Posted by: Strength in the Loins ( )
Date: March 26, 2016 03:57AM

Overseas? Bank accounts in Switzerland and the Caymens? Only God and a select few people in the COB really know.

I have wondered this one myself. While the top 15 all live pretty well, many of them had very successful careers prior to becoming GAs. They have nice homes, but nothing like the $10.5 million mansion that someone like Joel Osteen has.

They may very well face the same conundrum that many successful crime syndicates face...they are so successful and bring in so much money that it becomes difficult find ways to spend/launder it without raising all sorts of red flags.

Posted by: praydude ( )
Date: March 26, 2016 04:04AM

So...what GA's don't have security services? Which ones have kids going to College for free?

My wife was once a personal assistant for a very wealthy individual (non mormon) and she used to fly chartered private jets to get around. The pilots told her that their main clients were LDS leaders! Imagine the GA's flying around coach? Doesn't happen.

I once met a florist who worked for the church creating floral arrangements for the GAs. She said that their flower budget was $20k/month. Mind you, none of these floral displays were for the public. They were all for the higher up's offices. She claimed that it cost their small office $200k for thanksgiving and another $200k for Christmas. Mind you, the GAs don't decorate their own houses. Never mind the luncheons, the dinners, the free everything else. Free funerals. Free suits EVERY general conference. Just what do General Authorities want for? They give the word and an assistant hands them whatever they ask for. They don't even have to write their own talks for Conference.

Vacations bought-and-paid for to wherever they want to go. They give a talk on the way to the missionaries and they can claim the whole thing was a church expense. They are set up for life. Their kids (who tow the line) are set up for life as well. They are treated like royalty everywhere they go.

Still, I can't account for the rest of the 6 billion dollars but I do know the church leadership is not hurting. Not one bit.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 26, 2016 05:00AM

A good chunk of it goes into purchasing ranches and farms. Another chunk to build and maintain chapels and temples

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: March 26, 2016 07:29AM

Seven billion was their estimated income in 2012. In 2016 this figure is probably lower, but who knows, as their financials are kept secret.

At any rate, it's expensive to run a religious empire such as the cojcolds, and they are hoarding as much money as they can for the future. If the day ever comes that the morg is no longer profitable, many of the suits will jump ship in search of a better deal.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.