Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: March 27, 2016 11:15AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: unworthy ( )
Date: March 27, 2016 11:21AM

Just ate breakfast, having cup of coffee. Will be putting elk sausages in smoker. Neighbors coming over later. Life is good,,

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: March 27, 2016 11:25AM

Good question! I still haven't decided yet.

I may go to the Methodist Mausoleum, the most convenient church that's halfway inspiring and reverent. He is risen indeed...

Posted by: randomgirl ( )
Date: March 27, 2016 11:29AM

Trying to convince myself it's not a huge tragedy if I don't dress my kids up in pastel Church clothes and take a picture for posterity. :/

Later I will be having some forced family interactions that will be borderline awful.

In the meantime trying to decide if I am going to head to the Draper meet up.

Weird day, but at least I had some coffee. We woke up did Easter baskets and an Easter egg hunt and all in all I'm very happy we're not going to church. They won't even be talking about Easter or Christ anyway so it's not like today would have been 'special'but it's hard to let go of tradition.

Posted by: ChubbyTheFat ( )
Date: March 27, 2016 11:34AM

To me it is just another day. I have no connections with any fertility deities so there is nothing to worship.

Posted by: ModOne ( )
Date: March 27, 2016 11:41AM

The Home Teacher called last night and wanted to come over today. I said, "Heck No! It's Easter and I'm having Easter Dinner out with my friends and family". He then asked if there would be a good time for him to come over this week. I said, "No, I have too many appointments". What a doofus!

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: March 27, 2016 11:46AM

Working and finishing up a psychological analysis of Will Hunting and other characters from Good Will Hunting. It's a little creepy, because it feels like analyzing an ex from another lifetime ago.

Right now I'm searing a pot roast to throw in the crockpot with assorted veggies and toasting nuts to make a homemade trail mix. Then hopefully making a barley and veggie soup for tomorrow and getting ready to head back to school this week.

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: March 27, 2016 12:11PM

If you get a chance, check out Gordon Wood, the author the pony-tailed guy brings up at the bar. Excellent historian. As always, Will's arrogance and hatred destroy any joy or fulfillment in intellectual activity. A real Faust or Lucifer figure, in my opinion.

Posted by: onendagus ( )
Date: March 27, 2016 12:01PM

In Vegas we say: "Screw the zombie and his apocalypse!" Some of the local exmos are honoring the true original meaning of Eoastre by going to see the ducks, chicks and bunnies at a farm. Springtime renewal and life thank you, will pass on their vision of the world in flames.

Posted by: cwpenrose ( )
Date: March 28, 2016 08:05AM

And we had a dang good time doing it & had a great lunch after at a new place.

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: March 27, 2016 12:06PM

Just my usual... A little updating on this site. Practiced the clarinet for a couple of hours this morning. About to cut the grass. Get some take-out and watch the rain from the porch when it arrives this afternoon. TV news. Nap. Practice some more for next week's arts festival.

No church. No religion. Just a pleasant day.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: March 27, 2016 05:11PM

There was an excellent documentary on the 1916 Rising this morning on CBC Radio. I learned a lot. I have Irish blood in my heritage (Fitzpatrick). The Brits were the fucking barbarians back in that day for the way they treated the Irish nationalists.

RB

Posted by: kativicky ( )
Date: March 27, 2016 12:24PM

I just got up to a wet and dreary day but that is okay because I have my coffee and laptop. Today the store is closed for Easter so I don't have to worry about going in to work today. So the other day I came across some videos on Youtube about abandoned roads that I have found to be very interesting so I am going to go back to see if I can find some more videos about it. I am also going to try and do some more family history research and look up some ideas for a painting project that I want to try and do.

Posted by: jonny ( )
Date: March 27, 2016 01:04PM

Just spent an hour in the front of the house playing ball with my 14 year old neighbor boy and his dog, and my dog. Wore the dogs out. This kid lives with his step dad, and his mom has been in the middle east on deployment for a year, so I think he misses that so he talks to me while the dogs play.

I also have chocolate on my pillow case from grabbing a square everytime I let my dog out......

Going to airport to get my son later. If we can find somewhere to eat on the way home then we will probably eat out, come home, be totally lazy and go to bed. Oh, and more chocolate.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: March 27, 2016 01:07PM

Sonny and I are having a leisurely champagne brunch at home with ham steaks, roasted asparagus and scrambled eggs.

Posted by: A Local NLI ( )
Date: March 27, 2016 01:16PM

Watching Super Password on the Buzzr channel. Vicki Lawrence and Tom Poston featured.

Posted by: the1v ( )
Date: March 27, 2016 01:18PM

I had a lovely start to Easter at 12:30am with my six year old waking up vomiting. I'd had about 2 hours of sleep before then and that is all I got. He's currently doing better but running a fever. Easter egg hunts and such are out.

I am glad I talked my wife out of going to the tulip festival today and visiting my 6 month old niece earlier this week due to the weather forecast.

I just put a ham in the oven (we'll be eating a lot of ham for the upcoming weeks). I am going to cook it until around 2-3pm. I think I'll go start some sweet rolls.

I am also hoping for a nice nap today. I was thinking about doing some fishing with the boys today but that is out now. I guess I will do some odd jobs around the house.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 27, 2016 01:28PM

I guess I'll wade through the snow to give my car a tune up.

Posted by: jazzskeeter ( )
Date: March 27, 2016 01:39PM

We have eight friends coming over for dinner this afternoon. A 9th just called in a late RSVP this morning...the table is set already. Aargh! I made my partner's mother's rolls yesterday for the first time, and....shhhhhh....they aren't very good.
Oh well. I. Must. Chill.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: March 27, 2016 02:39PM

Saw our kids and grandkids off as they headed home and then I went into town for coffee and BS with my pals as per usual. Back home now to a very quiet house. Amazing how much noise a 3 year old girl and her older siblings can make in 36 hours...

RB

Posted by: sparty ( )
Date: March 27, 2016 04:47PM

Got up a bit early and drove back to the university I went to and went to the student Lutheran congregation for an amazing Easter service. Lots of great music, prayers, and a great message. The church was decorated with flowers, banners, and colorful balloons - it was a true celebration in every sense of the word. I've been wondering what bland talks and lessons my TBM friends had to slug through in their 3 hour of "meetings" today.

Just got done enjoying a great meal with family, and now getting ready for food coma to set in.

Christ is Risen! He is Risen Indeed! Hallelujah!

Posted by: Annie Onymous ( )
Date: March 27, 2016 07:39PM

I worked earlier and got out too late to go to the fancy Easter service with my friend. Almost done with a nice bottle of huckleberry wine, since I have tomorrow off. It was recommended to me, and it's actually quite good (I'm more of a vodka person). It's been a while since I had a nice drink.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: March 27, 2016 07:51PM

A nice Sunday dinner, cut spring flowers inside and crocuses blooming outside. A pleasant walk around the neighborhood. Followed by a riveting movie called "Remember" starring Christopher Plummer and Martin Landau. Oh.my.golly.

It took me out of my comfort zone, but a movie I would highly recommend to any interested in what became of the Nazis post-Holocaust.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: March 27, 2016 07:57PM

Opening widows for the fresh, 70 degree air. Praising the temperature, for it is risen.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: March 27, 2016 08:14PM

Sang in the choir in the Presbyterian church at three services, two of which had standing room only! Over 1000 total in attendance. The brass band was also good. coffee etc. after each service. DW enjoyed it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2016 08:15PM by rhgc.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: March 27, 2016 08:27PM

A memorial day, and Easter, I won't soon forget- sang in a great choir and joined a [real] church congregation (about as far from Mormonism as I can get - unless you count being here a few times a week - heheeehehe); ate a chocolate bunny and then feasted with a great bunch of folks (even meeting 'Elder Price', and asking him if he was the one in the BOMusical.lol).

Laying around like there was no tomorrow - because there might not be - seeing what's happening with great folks around the world everywhere. That might be you!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2016 03:16PM by moremany.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: March 28, 2016 03:17PM

What did you do Raptor Jesus?

Posted by: blakballoon ( )
Date: March 27, 2016 08:36PM

I went and visited my bro and his lil family (never-mo's) We had a bbq. Was planning to get a late summer swim in his pool, but it was a little to cool.

They had a couple of beers. I had a coffee. DH didn't say anything about my coffee. We talked about family, chocolate, guitars, work, children, school and stuff.

Jesus wasn't mentioned. But we did have a laugh about the time their daughter came home from school and shared what she had learned about 'odd', from a religious values class. She talked about 'odd' for a while.

Took a while to figure out she had learned about 'God'

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: March 27, 2016 09:19PM

Watching the Lion, Witch and Wardrobe on the SyFy channel this evening. Nice wrap-up for the day.

Miss when my own children were young. :)

Easters past were much more fun when we were all under the same roof. They would tip-toe out of their rooms before it was time to wake up to peek and see what Easter Bunny brought them.

We'd go to church together including post-Mormonism. There was one Easter Sunday the time had changed that day and they were supposed to sing in the Moravian children's choir for the main service. They'd been practicing for weeks.

I was recovering from a bad bout of something and had a reaction to the antibiotic the doctor had given me. We got to church an hour late because I was too sick and tired to remember the time had changed. They were so sweet anyway. There was no room to sit in our usual space/s so we got to sit in the balcony (first time.) The congregation was overflowing. My children actually got a kick sitting in the balcony, so they didn't mind as much as I felt bad they missed singing in the choir. The kids had already sang their numbers by the time we got there. :(

Good thing all was forgiven. ;-)

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: March 27, 2016 09:40PM

I sang at two masses this morning. Thus ended another busy Holy Week. The best time for the choir for the year until Christmas.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: March 27, 2016 09:44PM

Sick with the cold my daughters so lovingly shared with me.
Slept in.
Sweated under blankets.
Watched some golf.
Piddled on the computer.
Took medicine.

As crappy as I feel, it still beats sacrament meeting! :)

Posted by: annonynonna ( )
Date: March 27, 2016 10:13PM

Saw The Book of Mormon in Costa Mesa, dinner at the Winery Restaurant, espresso from Portola. How many more wrongs can we do to make such a great day.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: March 28, 2016 02:41AM

which was wonderful. We hadn't been there in a long time, because I have difficulty walking due to severe arthritis. And I have temporarily loaned my wheelchair to somebody who is worse off than I am, but she is a teen and expected to heal rapidly.

Anyway, we were very warmly greeted by the members, assured that we had been missed (and it felt like they meant it, as compared to the studied phoniness at the LDS church.) It was a lovely service; the young minister is VERY well trained and always gives sermons that are so good it's worth taking notes.

Thanks to my DH's sturdy arm, I was able to get into and out of the chapel without limping. Of course, I have a handicapped parking placard, so we were able to park up-close to the building.

My TBM DH went to an Easter service at his Mo-church some years ago, and was utterly disgusted that there was virtually NO mention of Jesus or the Resurrection, but a lot of material about Joe Smith. (Now, from a distance, he can see what a crock that is; before, he wouldn't have questioned it.)

Because our service at the Pres Church had standard stuff like lots of beautiful lilies, and familiar Easter hymns, he enjoyed it very much. I don't think he will ever leave the Mo-church officially, but he is very comfortable in the Presbyterian church. Nobody treats him as an outsider.

After church, I was exhausted and had to take a nap. I awoke to delicious smells coming from the kitchen. DH and Daughter the Youngest were cooking chicken, mashed potatoes, mixed zucchini and yellow crook-neck squash topped with sautéed mushrooms - it was wonderful.

So, all in all, our Easter was great!

Posted by: The Goalie Host ( )
Date: March 28, 2016 06:22AM

Relaxed on the beach in Koh Samui, Thailand, had a massage, and did as little as possible all day long. Didn't even realize it was Easter Sunday until I hopped on the internet because I currently live in a country that doesn't celebrate Christian holidays much.

Best Easter of my life! :-)

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: March 28, 2016 08:06AM

We did NOTHING related to Easter. Went for a long Urban hike, which was quite nice and just ate a regular meal.

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: March 28, 2016 12:32PM

Once again I was coerced into attending. It was not all that bad. Neither was it all that good.

Posted by: shazam101 ( )
Date: March 28, 2016 02:54PM

Saw Batman vs Superman with my son, and had a great Ham dinner that my TBM DW made.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: March 28, 2016 03:00PM

Went for a train ride up a beautiful canyon.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: March 28, 2016 05:36PM

Didn't even realize it was Easter until I was boarding the plane and the Flight Attendant said "happy Easter".

Barely even knew it was Sunday because typically I don't do anything on a Sunday, but schedule dictated I travel.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: March 28, 2016 06:27PM

I was visiting my mom in Vegas, and we had eggs Benedict for brunch, as that's a tradition in her husband's family. Later, we baked some ham, and had that for dinner.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.