Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Lorin C Woooley ( )
Date: March 27, 2016 11:33PM

I saw on the KSL news site that a Catholic bishop spoke at BYU.We know Mormon leaders have greeted the pope.

One difference much older Mormon literature and statements pronounced as authoritative by so called pre 1950 apostles or prophets.Much older and even pre 1900 Mormon literature denounces Catholicism and all other churches as the mother of harlots or church of the devil.My own never church attending and self professing Mormon mother refers to all non Mormon churches as cults that are inspired of the devil.

Do any current Mormons you know of find this all confusing about how to form an attitude towards Catholicism?Are they supposed to respect Catholics or denounce them and their priets as hirelings of Satan?My mother would do this by calling them cults and whatever and she has never been active in the church.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: angela ( )
Date: March 27, 2016 11:45PM

Not sure about present-day LDS leaders have greeted the pope. Haven't heard about that, though they have had met with cardinals.

My observation is that they have let go and moved on from the anti-Catholic rhetoric of the past. They have found common ground in the freedom of religion and family issues and are building brigdes.

With their belief in continuing revelation and that what the present "prophet" trumping whatever past "prophets" have said, that the current landscape is one of a growing friendship and respect.

Whether that will trickle down to their missionary efforts in the mission field is another thing entirely, however.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: March 28, 2016 03:16AM

Church statements regarding anything are confusing.

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: March 28, 2016 08:50AM

My TBM DW has repeatedly told me that Catholics make the best converts to TSCC.

I don't know whether that reflects any TSCC teachings, or even whether that is supposed to reflect well on Catholics.

I think she meant it as a compliment in the context that I am an ex-Catholic myself, and she sees in me many of the positive qualities that Mormons want to see in themselves. DW attributes those qualities in me to my Catholic upbringing.

Posted by: Jersey Girl ( )
Date: March 28, 2016 09:37AM

The original anti-Catholic stance of Joe and buddies when starting TSCC was an offshoot of 19th century American Protestant bias against Catholic immigrants who were starting to come into the US, first Germans, than the Irish in great numbers in the 1840's famine years, later followed by Southern and Eastern Europeans.There was a group called the Know Nothings who were actively violent against Catholics, Jews and Blacks. Joe just followed along with their rhetoric about the Whore of Babylon, the Pope taking over the government, etc.

This attitude remained within Mormon leadership until the late 20th century but was somewhat toned down for outsiders. In the 21st Century, Mormons and the conservative Catholic hierarchy have formed an unholy alliance against gay marriage, abortion, some aspects of feminism. Prop H8 in CA is a good example of this.

Mormons still seek Catholic converts and in some ways I can see how if one were raised very conservative Catholic, the Mormon way of life, especially in relation to not questioning authority, would be a good fit. This happened to the son of someone from my parish, very traditional Catholics, son went to Notre Dame of all places, met the mishies and was converted. He is now a professor at BYU with a slew of kids, Catholic parents could not attend the wedding, of course. They have tried to remain open to maintain a relationship with son and grandkids.

Posted by: 3X (nli) ( )
Date: March 29, 2016 04:16PM

A "conventional", conservative Catholic has the option of joining the Opus Dei movement if even more rigidity is attractive.

Posted by: en passant ( )
Date: March 28, 2016 10:53AM

No question there is a difference of opinion of how Mormons should feel about feel about Catholicism, either of late, or in the past, and either officially or unoficially.

My brother, who served a Mission in Brazil from 1966 to 1968, commonly referred to the Catholic Church as the "G & A" (great and abominable church of the devil, 1 Nephi 13:6). Although there is nothing in that scripture that connects directly to Catholicism, my brother's experience in Brazil trying to convert Catholics, colored his viewpoint ever after. I imagine he came by his strong opinions in accordance with his mission leadership and culture.

To be sure, Protestants since Martin Luther have leveled similar indictments against the Catholic Church as well, based on Revelation 17:1, but in all my considerable association with mainstream Protestants, I don't think I ever heard anything said that would come close to matching my brother's vehement hatred of Catholics.

As for me, I think that for whatever arguments you can legitimately make about the history of Catholicism, you have to give them credit for great art, music, architecture, and education.

Posted by: en passant ( )
Date: March 28, 2016 10:55AM

Oh, and by the way...

Catholics and Mormons turned out to be pretty cozy during Califorinia's Prop 8 debacle.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: March 28, 2016 12:21PM

I well remember when I was in high school in the 60's we had a popular Catholic student visit our ward for a musical function. We were all a flutter thinking that he would be so impressed with the mormon church that he would certainly convert. What a let down we felt when he was underwhelmed by it all. In fact, he probably went home and told his parents what silly girls we were.

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: March 28, 2016 12:26PM

Oh yes! Brought up in a SS class a few weeks ago. If ya ain't Mormon Y'all are the great and abDominal.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: March 29, 2016 05:19PM

Hey, convert Mel Gibson. From crazy catholic to crazy TBM.

Beautiful.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: March 29, 2016 05:34PM

Nothing the cult could say or do would ever make up for the vicious bullying my wife endured as a Catholic kid growing up in Raymond, AB.

RB

Posted by: Trails end ( )
Date: March 29, 2016 10:11PM

The sad reality is the durn church really hasnt a clue what they believe....the ones that did left and the rest are just tickled to slurp up the pablum at church and conference or whatever tirds fair is slinging today..the story has changed so many times and the goal posts replaced ...the church can score a field goal from its own goal line..lower the bar till you can just trip over it...most are so smugly satisfied theyve hardly ever cracked a dam book..if they have it was likely that swk disaster...keeping guilt fresh without a fridge since the sixties...and keep the kiddies coming back for more....mmmmm more guilt please momma

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.