Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: March 29, 2016 09:40AM

As I consider the all-around magnificence of my wife, the astounding intelligence and compassion of my daughter, the heroic work of my mother in conceiving, carrying, bearing, nursing, and almost single-handedly raising me...

And then I think of the church with its male god-figures and its guys-only "priesthood" and its relegation of women to paddocks of servitude and "support," it's... well, how can this possibly succeed, long-term? How can it possibly express the sublime nature of existence, the exquisite beauty of creation, when it assigns inferior status to that element of creation that is, in my opinion, the most important, capable, wise, and good--i.e., the woman?

How do you have the audacity to give so-called gratitude to a higher power when you insult that power's greatest creation?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: prodigaldaughter ( )
Date: March 29, 2016 10:41AM

I had a biology teacher that shrugged one day and said. "Sorry guys, but in nature it really is all about the female." Lol. Yay science!

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: March 29, 2016 11:37AM

"how can this possibly succeed, long-term?" It's been going on for many many centuries. In matters of creation, teaching, and nurturing women have unique tallent. But look at the scientific advances, the great music composed, the nasa engineers. How many women hold a candle? (a few yes, but not many)

Creativity, ingenuity, and problem solving, is the male brain. It's how we are wired.

Posted by: liesarenotuseful ( )
Date: March 29, 2016 12:31PM

Not to brag, but my daughters are incredibly creative, ingenius, and are fantastic at problem-solving, my sons are too

Posted by: toomuchfuncuttingstupid ( )
Date: March 29, 2016 05:49PM

poopstone Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "how can this possibly succeed, long-term?" It's
> been going on for many many centuries. In matters
> of creation, teaching, and nurturing women have
> unique tallent. But look at the scientific
> advances, the great music composed, the nasa
> engineers. How many women hold a candle? (a few
> yes, but not many)
>
> Creativity, ingenuity, and problem solving, is the
> male brain. It's how we are wired.

Wow. Are you counting the ones they burned as witches in that? Or, the ones required to be covered brow to toe, or as an option lose their heads, so on and so forth? You are just way too narrow a thinker.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: March 29, 2016 11:54AM

Male-centered anything is an oxymoron.

Female-centered anything is an oxymoron.

People-centered things have an element of the moronic and absurd.

Putting people into boxes doesn't help people.

Posted by: the1v ( )
Date: March 29, 2016 11:57AM

"Sorry guys, but in nature it really is all about the female."

"Creativity, ingenuity, and problem solving, is the male brain. It's how we are wired."

I do believe these two statement are the same. Males creativity, ingenuity, and problem solving, all about impressing the female. Sexual selection at it's finest.

Friggen ladies control it all.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: March 29, 2016 12:00PM

Female creativity, ingenuity, and problem solving, all about a lot more than impressing males. And male creativity, ingenuity, and problem solving can be done by gay men completely uninterested in impressing females.

Posted by: Jersey Girl ( )
Date: March 29, 2016 12:00PM

Poopstone, you are so aptly named as to what you are full of. It is not the male brain, but the fact that until fairly recently, the last 150 years or so, the majority of females had no access to education or employment,

Posted by: Gentle Gentile ( )
Date: March 29, 2016 02:20PM

He's said shit like that before...it's almost like he's a TBM troll...

And I'd agree with your comment with an altered timeline. There's still lots of barriers to women's full participation in society because things like harassment aren't adequately dealt with. There's no opportunity to fulfill their potential.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: March 29, 2016 05:53PM

On many MRA sites. I've come to the conclusion this line of thinking is likely the sign of a simple, lazy mind or willful ignorance.

Elfing posted some great info down below about the brain. There were a couple of books published years ago about the "male brain" versus the "female brain" and much of it was debunked as sexist junk science, yet some people (including my former pastor interpersonal comm prof) tout these books as if they're The Bible: Part II.

One of the problems with studying human biology and the concept of gender is sexism is still pretty deeply rooted in the field, as it is in many field. People hold onto outdated, sexist, disproven theories because it suits their worldview...how many people do you know that still hold on to the idea that women have penis envy for example?

Or they misuse a tiny portion of a field like evolutionary psychology to "support" their views, when evo psych is one piece of a much larger puzzle when it comes to human development and evolution.

But I'm either talking to a brick wall or preaching to the choir when it comes to this subject. ;)

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: March 29, 2016 12:19PM

Men compensating (historically) for their inadequacies and small penis sizes.

So says this male...

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 29, 2016 12:59PM

Once women get out and start having careers, it gets increasingly hard to relegate them to second class status.

Posted by: bordergirl ( )
Date: March 29, 2016 01:09PM

What do you think the whole fundamentalist religion thing is about?

Name me one that doesn't make controlling the female as one of its central tenets?

Control her body, control her mind, limit her access to opportunity.

It's obvious.

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: March 29, 2016 01:54PM

Females are wonderful.
Males are wonderful.

Nope, no superior gender, no inferior gender.

What I hate is PEOPLE being forced into certain roles and "duties" based on their gender and told in no uncertain terms that a deity demands that they stay in their place. If they do not relish being coerced into playing a certain role to the exclusion of what they might really want to be or do, they are scorned and reviled.

Sexism hurts everybody.

Doxi <--- Feminist who loves males, too. What does that make me?

Posted by: eternal1 ( )
Date: March 29, 2016 02:22PM

An outlier???

Date: March 29, 2016 02:45PM

eternal1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> An outlier???

Not sure what you mean here. Care to elaborate?

Date: March 29, 2016 07:55PM

Not hardly!

Date: March 30, 2016 02:48PM

Okay.

I'm an idiot.

I'm assuming it's an insult, but WTH is an "outlier"????

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: March 30, 2016 03:00PM

Look up "Bell curve". An outlier is in the tail of the curve.

Date: March 30, 2016 03:56PM

I see.... well, I never did fit in anyplace. No great shock there.

I talk too much. Guess I write too much too. Oh, well.

Date: March 30, 2016 03:00PM

I'll take a shot, but I do think he's referring to the misguided stereotype that feminists hate men, which couldn't be further from the truth. Rad fems are not the same thing, but that's the stereotype pundits and people who despise feminism like to promote about feminists. Pretty much every single woman I'm friends with that identifies as a feminist likes men, has no issues with them, just the patriarchal attitudes and culture that's ingrained in many men AND women.

It's the anti-feminists I've found that actually have the most negative attitude about men.

Date: March 31, 2016 03:10AM

+1000

Posted by: eternal1 ( )
Date: March 30, 2016 08:12PM

Sorry, Doxi, it wasn't meant as an insult.

You posted:
"Doxi <--- Feminist who loves males, too. What does that make me?"

It was meant as a humorous attempt to answer your question, since feminism is seen (misguided or not) by many as anti-male, so, if you love males you may be the exception or the outlier.

Date: March 30, 2016 08:46PM

See, this is why men can't do comedy very well. They're just not as naturally funny like women.

That's Horney-esque sarcasm, btw.

Date: March 29, 2016 02:48PM

And one more thing...

I have NEVER understood how am I supposed to love and want to serve and be with throughout eternity a deity who thinks that I'm inferior and basically has contempt for me and if you read Leviticus He thinks I'm really rather disgusting? A masochist I ain't.

Posted by: elfling_notloggedin ( )
Date: March 29, 2016 03:04PM

Didn't anyone but me see the recent research on Male vs. Female brains? TLDR; a meta study looking at thousands of brains found zero - null - nada quantifiable differences between male brains and female brains.

All the myths of males better at logic and math and females better at verbal and intuition result from very small studies and not supported conclusions. All brain variations (creative/intuitive/logical/pick your favorite) are seen in equal
proportions across the spectrum of both genders.

Published in: Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, here's a
link to news article: http://www.timesofisrael.com/male-vs-female-brain-not-a-valid-distinction-study-says/

Date: March 29, 2016 03:11PM

Correction to above post, since I can't edit w/o logging in.

Study was over 1400 brains, not thousands.

Date: March 29, 2016 03:14PM

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: March 30, 2016 06:08PM

Not just in the fifties, but now.

In the sixties, I was fired from my job for becoming pregnant. I didn't show, but my employer found out about it from his secretary. He accused me like I had done something wrong.

In a sales position a few years later, I made the biggest sale the company had ever had. They gave the commission to the male district manager, who had nothing to do with making the sale. They explained that they did not give commissions to women. It was enough money to buy a house.

What the hell do you expect women to do with discrimination as rampant as this? In the seventies I was an activist for company-supported daycare centers. Here we are all these years later and there still is not even free day care for working mothers. Its fine to have maternal leave, but how can you afford to sacrifice your career ladder for six weeks maternity leave?

OP in all charity you may consider it the "Male Brain" that there are more male nobel prize winners, but I'd like to remind you that the senior male brain without a woman gives up and dies. Yep, only the married male brains have the good sense to go to the doctor for their preventative care. And somehow only the female brain creates a nest for itself and a network of support if it must age alone.

Surveys show that both female and male brains seem to prefer female brains to talk to if they want to stay mentally healthy as they age.

Wouldn't it be nice if the male brains would cooperate with women to make childrens' lives better?

Kathleen

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.