Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ANON FOR THIS ( )
Date: March 29, 2016 01:41PM

Anon in case people I know come on here. I have heard it may not be possible to legally resign by email. Has anyone resigned by email and had it work without having to provide a notarized / paper letter?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: scaredhusband ( )
Date: March 29, 2016 01:44PM

It is possible to resign by email. Here is the link with details.

http://www.exmormon.org/remove.htm

I haven't resigned myself because of family issues. But I know others that post here have. They will be able to answer your other questions.

Posted by: Finally Free! ( )
Date: March 29, 2016 01:48PM

Resigning by email is totally possible, it was the method that I used. See instructions at the link below:

http://www.exmormon.org/remove.htm

Please read through the entire page for the instructions and how the process works. Even though you are sending the email to the main church office, they will still claim that "this is a local matter" and ship it back to your local Bishop, even if you've never met him. (to head this off, I looked up my local bishop and cc'ed a copy of my resignation email and asked him to process any necessary paperwork as quickly as possible. This worked in my case, other's have had varying success)

Keep in mind that as soon as the church receives your email, you are done, you're out. The rest of the whole "local matter" crap is busy work for them. You have no obligation to meet with anyone. If someone does try to meet with you and you don't want to, just keep repeating, "I've already resigned, you have my email. Process your paperwork."

Good luck and congratulations on your freedom!

Posted by: durhamlass ( )
Date: March 29, 2016 01:50PM

I resigned by email last year, without any further paperwork/documentation and no problems.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 29, 2016 01:55PM

One problem I can see with e-mail resignations is that how does TSCC know it is really you who sent the e-mail ?

They would probably want some kind of personal contact with you to verify you being the sender.

With a notarized letter there is no question of your identity.

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: March 29, 2016 05:37PM

I resigned online, no problem.

I DID still have a home teacher and I told him that I had resigned and I know he said something to the local bishop, so that may have helped move things along, I don't know. Since it is something THEY consider to be very serious, I can understand them wanting to be SURE it was really me that put in the request.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2016 05:41PM by seekyr.

Posted by: europa ( )
Date: March 29, 2016 04:44PM

I resigned by email last December and I haven't heard anything from the bishop or anyone else from church about it.

Previously I called the bishop about resigning in October and he told me he would not give me the address or any help to do so. He plainly told me he that he knows that I still believe in the church.

So I am not going to do anything now to possibly chase it up. The bishop was always really poor doing paperwork for many members and he won't be in a rush to process my request.

But as far as I'm concerned, I'm out. I identify myself as an atheist and I don't care what they do with the paperwork now. Go shove it somewhere :)

Posted by: anontoday ( )
Date: March 29, 2016 04:51PM

I resigned by email and it worked. The letters were not notarized. And our lawyer bishop had us sign the letter. We knew we could of fought him on it but we just did it anyway to hurry along the process. Other than that the whole process went well.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: March 29, 2016 05:15PM

I resigned by email and got the letter saying I was out in a week. I used a form letter that I found on line for the purpose-sorry I don't know where I found it.

This is the last line that I wrote and I think it helped expedite.

"As I have stated, I have not been a member since 1973. This is NOT a matter to be handled by a a bishop or stake president. My membership records are to be deleted immediately. Please send written confirmation that my name has been removed."

I only included my name and date of birth as identification, nothing else.

Posted by: munchkin ( )
Date: March 29, 2016 05:16PM

I resigned by email a couple of years ago. I copied my bishop and stake president on the email, and made a reference in the email to the fact that they were also being notified, so there was no need to contact me. I got the "please come back" pamphlet and then the "you're out" letter.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: March 29, 2016 06:37PM

I resigned by email. I forbid them from involving local folks and about 1 week later I got a letter from the COB stating I was out. Period.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: March 29, 2016 06:42PM

I resigned by email in 2012. As for "legal", did the LDS church legally own you? I think not. They have no power over you. As soon as you hit send, you're out.

RB

Posted by: InJustice ( )
Date: March 29, 2016 08:21PM

Even as a member of the church, THEY don't own you. THEY have no power over you.

We have been manipulated for many years however people are waking up. And it's scaring the hell out of them...

I figure some day they will kick me out. maybe I'll beat them to the finish line. Who knows :D

Posted by: nightwolf983 ( )
Date: March 29, 2016 07:48PM

I resigned by email last November. It didn't even take them a week to send me the letter that said my name was removed.

Posted by: momonomo ( )
Date: March 29, 2016 09:28PM

I did it by email in 2012. I got no response until I followed up about 30 days later. Then they sent a letter, sent the bishop who asked "why?". I said my reasons were my own and I wasn't open to discussing them. I got my "loss of blessings, adios" letter about 30 days later. So yes, it works...mostly.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: March 29, 2016 10:20PM

I did it in November, two weeks later I got the letter.

Posted by: wondercat ( )
Date: March 29, 2016 11:04PM

I resigned by email and it worked perfectly, except it took a little longer than I thought it would. I sent a second email after a number of weeks with a threat to talk to my local newspaper, The Arizona Republic. The church has an antagonist relationship with that paper. Within a week or two I got my letter via snail mail.

Good luck!

wondercat

Posted by: lavaman ( )
Date: March 29, 2016 11:53PM

I resigned by email about two months ago and I am still waiting on my letter...

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: March 30, 2016 01:17AM

Resigning by email was fun. Letter back in <30 days.
I'm going to do it a few more times.
I may resign my dogs, Binx and Lumpy.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.