Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Pil-Latté ( )
Date: March 30, 2016 08:48PM

I've just started the book "The Family."
http://www.amazon.com/The-Family-Secret-Fundamentalism-American/dp/0060560053?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00
Its not a book I'd typically read, but I'll give it a go.

I'm also obsessed with Podcasts. Infants on Thrones and Mormon Stories are a must. And with conference this weekend, Mormon related podcasts will be pumping out new content! Yay! One perk to conference! But I've also added a few podcasts to my list lately- True Murder:The Most Shocking Killers in True Crime, and Dan Carlin's Hardcore History. Both are fascinating.

So what about you?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: March 30, 2016 09:15PM

Reading "Two Years Eight Months and Twenty-Eight Nights." Novel by Salman Rushdie.

This is the 4th book by him I've read.

This book is fiction about creatures called jinn and the world in a state of unreason.

Rushdie's intelligence shines. Enjoying the book.

(I LOVE the book sharing threads! Thanks, Pil-Latté.)

I'm listening to podcasts more often nowadays. I've found some good ones from BBC.

Posted by: Pil-Latté ( )
Date: March 30, 2016 10:35PM

I'm just happy people participate in this thread. I enjoy seeing what everyone is reading. =)

Posted by: bona dea unregistered ( )
Date: March 30, 2016 09:18PM

I am reading Isabella the Warrior Queen by Kirsten Downey

Date: March 30, 2016 09:23PM

I watched Downton Abbey Last summer on Netflix and just finished the final season on PBS. Havent found anything to.replace it yet,but am looking forward to some new Sherlock.in Jan. In the meantime I need something to watch.

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: March 30, 2016 10:44PM

Have you seen Poldark? If you liked Downton it might be something you'd enjoy. I think it's free with Amazon Prime. I just watched it for the second time. I really liked it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2016 10:45PM by want2bx.

Date: March 31, 2016 02:22AM

Thanks. It is free and I will give it a try

Posted by: liesarenotuseful ( )
Date: March 31, 2016 02:32AM

Also try Grantchester- I loved it and can't wait for a new season

Date: March 31, 2016 02:44AM

Thanks

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: March 30, 2016 09:28PM

The Swan Thieves by Elizabeth Kostova, it's not quite as good as her opus, The Historian.

Bach's St. Matthew Passion (I know, I'm a week late) alternating between historically-informed practices and modern performance styles.

And, it was amber ale today, because what's a day without great music, a good read, and a beer! Love to you all! The Boner.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: March 30, 2016 10:45PM

Just finished The Historian (for about the fifth time) and am reading Dracula now. I will read Swan Thieves next.

Also read A Handmaid's Tale and watched the movie again. Both are very good and have special interest to exmos. Also recently went through a lot of Susan Hill. She wrote The Woman in Black. The movies, old one, new one and part 2 were all quite good.

As for TV I have been watching the complete Hercule Poirot from the beginning on Netflix and a my fav home show Fixer Upper on HGTV. Hubby is OBSESSED with Diners Driveins and Dives so we watch a lot of that too :)

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: March 31, 2016 12:18AM

My favorite vampire book of them all is Anne Rice's Interview with the Vampire. Although I've read many of her other books, IwV captured the corruption and decay of New Orleans in the first couple of pages. Her words dripped off the pages, and in the end, I found the tale to be highly moralistic.

Bram Stoker's Dracula scared my silly the first time I read it.

The Swan Thieves has a totally different theme involving art.

Best wishes, Boner.

Posted by: kativicky ( )
Date: March 30, 2016 10:07PM

I have been watching a lot of youtube videos about abandon places and roads especially the abandon portions of the Pennsylvania turnpike and Route 66 as well as old bridges.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: March 30, 2016 10:13PM

That sounds kind of spooky.

Posted by: Dennis Moore ( )
Date: March 30, 2016 10:17PM

Well, I'm listening to Queen of course, darling and I am watching a lot This is Dan Bell. He's an excellent videographer and has the deadmallseries, deadmotelseries, abandoned places, and other cool stuff. He is different from the other "urbanex" explorers. He has an art to what he produces. Quality stuff. I don't read much.

-Dennis

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 30, 2016 10:19PM

Reading RfM and watching Futurama.

I can't believe the drama!!!

Posted by: oneinbillions ( )
Date: March 30, 2016 10:22PM

"House of Leaves" by Mark Z. Danielewski. It's been a tough read, but fascinating. I'm almost done! I think I like "ergodic" literature.

Posted by: blakballoon ( )
Date: March 30, 2016 10:23PM

The last book I read was 'Saving Alex'
I love reading but I am having trouble getting deep into books lately. The occasional splatterpunk or science fiction.

I've also just discovered podcasts. Started off with a few comedic interviews, Dawn French, Kitty Flannagan type. but lately the exmo conference talks and Mormon stories.

Posted by: Liz ( )
Date: March 30, 2016 10:24PM

I'm watching Doc Martin episodes on Netflix. British humor and I love it.

PBS documentaries are fascinating and the subjects are so varied it keeps me interested, entertained, and enlightened.

I never realized all the strange and exotic creatures that share this planet. From the creepy to the bizarre and beautiful.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: March 30, 2016 10:46PM

I love Doc Martin and PBS. That Ghawd for PBS .

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: March 30, 2016 10:49PM

I'm reading Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts , recommended by

my sister and I'm listening to 90's R&B which I'm sure no one

hear will relate to. Oh well.

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: March 30, 2016 10:58PM

"Sapiens" by Yuval Noah Harari. An anthropologist's history of humankind--fascinating stuff; how we moved out of Africa, invented stuff like money and writing and religion and imperialism to facilitate working together etc.

At the moment I'm listening to Miles Davis, John Coltrane et al. on "Teo" from Miles' "Someday My Prince Will Come." Late '50s, early '60s Miles or 'Trane is my sweet spot, ear-wise.

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: March 30, 2016 11:21PM

I'll have to check out "Sapiens," it sounds great. I got much the same thing from Ian Morris, an archaeologist himself, in "Why the West Rules--for Now."

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: March 30, 2016 11:27PM

I've gotten back into WW1/Bolshevik/Nazi/WW2 history, not exactly pleasant but important for understanding the world we live in. I finally found Tim Snyder's book, "Bloodlands," right under my nose at the local library. Also,"Hitler's Empire" by Mark Mazower answered a lot of questions for me.

Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: March 30, 2016 11:27PM

Jonathan Haidt ~ "The Happiness Hypothesis".

One of the most informative books I've read.

I'm still not a believer but his elucidation of the human need for religious ideas softened my hostility toward religion.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: March 30, 2016 11:37PM

I listen to a bit of classic rock, a bit of our listener supported Alberta broadcaster CKUA/CKUA.COM some sports radio and CBC, our national broadcaster. I read a lot of online news (BBC World News is my favorite) and magazines and almost no books. I've lost interest in committing to a long read in the last 10 years.

RB

Posted by: Purplepansy ( )
Date: March 31, 2016 12:00AM

Easy read about how anyone can succeed at math. Lots of support for having a growth mindset rather than a fixed mindset.

Posted by: nomorelies7997 ( )
Date: March 31, 2016 12:36AM

Chuck Palahniuk- Make Something Up: Stories You Can't Unread

One of my top three favorite authors.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2016 12:41AM by nomorelies7997.

Posted by: John Mc ( )
Date: March 31, 2016 12:46AM

Reading Trolls Don't Do Kung Fu by John McCrudden.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: March 31, 2016 02:57AM

I'm reading "Collapse" by Jared Diamond because it was recommended here. Man, does it look thorough. I'm sorry I forget who recommended it. I've been listening to music by Califone and Animal Collective. I'm also reading a collection of short stories called "Strange Pilgrims" by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. There was one story about a guy who falls for a woman on an airplane, though she sleeps through the entire flight. That one pierced my heart.

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: March 31, 2016 08:06AM

Reading Kenneth Clark again.

Listening to a variety of Spotify Playlists.

Posted by: Myron Donnerbalken ( )
Date: March 31, 2016 08:12AM

The marriage was bumped and bruised a lot when I left Mormonism, so DW is making me read "His Needs, Her Needs." Eng. It's not very exciting.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: March 31, 2016 11:06AM

I really enjoyed the two seasons of Happy Valley set in Yorkshire. Some outstanding acting with a female lead, Sarah Lancashire, who is terrific.

Posted by: magic823 ( )
Date: March 31, 2016 11:27AM

I finished "Ready Player One", loved it. Most enjoyable book I've read in a while.

Almost done ready Missoula by Jon Krakauer. Pretty amazing read on how sports corrupts even law enforcement.

Posted by: laperla not logged in ( )
Date: March 31, 2016 11:59AM

Yiddish Civilization - The Rise and Fall of a Forgotten Nation

I'm waiting to get into the dark ages part.

Missoula - I'll put that on my list!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.