Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: lenina ( )
Date: March 31, 2016 05:50PM

Does anything like this ever happen to you?

This started a few years ago for me, it happens every once in awhile when I'm buzzing around the house taking care of mundane tasks. The words "Minerva Teichert" come into my head so I say them out loud.

It was happening so much a couple years ago, I finally put those words into Google to figure out what the hell those words are and where they came from. Minerva sounds like a name, so maybe it's a name.

https://www.google.com/search?sclient=tablet-gws&site=&source=hp&q=minerva+teichert&oq=m&gs_l=tablet-gws.1.0.35i39l2j0i67.4061.4061.0.6053.2.2.0.0.0.0.194.375.0j2.2.0....0...1c.1.64.tablet-gws..0.1.181.0.MeCn0s81dSA

And it turns out she's a Mormon painter artist.

Well I was just doing the dishes a couple minutes ago when "Minerva Teichert" happened in my head again.

This happens way too often and it's rather weird.

I've never heard of Minerva Teichert.

I've never been interested in art or paintings, and I find galleries & museums incredibly boring.

Four years since I've stepped foot into church and I have no lingering thoughts that hold me back in church past.

Do you ever get mysterious Mormon tics?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: March 31, 2016 05:57PM

lenina Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Do you ever get mysterious Mormon tics?

Yes, and I find it helpful to call upon Satan for their removal. I just have to think a bad thought and "Wallah!" they are gone. He uses his HellfireĀ© to combat their HeartsellĀ©.

Date: March 31, 2016 05:58PM

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: March 31, 2016 06:07PM

That's one of the sixth sense things that are irrational and impossible to explain why you're getting these impressions, but they aren't without precedent. She may be channeling her spirit energies through you for whatever reason.

Have you studied your family heritage, I wonder? There may be a familial connection you aren't even aware of.

Here's a family history memoir she wrote herself in 1950, in which she describes a dream she had of her mother and ancestral connections:

"My American mother came to me one night and begged me to go to her castle and help her clean it up. The debris and dust of 300 years must be removed. I followed her up a hill through a forest. It seemed that beautiful carved heavy doors had been swinging open and shut, and deer and wild animals had been running through it for 300 years. The sun shone through once glorious but now dilapidated windows. One could get a glimpse of firs and vines outside. The furniture, stacked around a large, excellent oak table was fabulous, but we had to do a lot of work carrying out rubbish to see them well.

Other kindred kept coming in to help us. Sticks and boughs of trees, and baskets of rubbish were removed. Some carried water and started scrubbing. Some started filling the newly washed table with pewter and silverware. Many guests could sit at that grand table.

I said, "Mother, are we really to entertain Royalty here? "Yes", she answered, "the noblest of the land". "Then", I said, "don't you think we should get this old medieval stove out of here and put something modern in?" She answered, "I think it's very useful", and she showed me how the steel oven let down. I said, "But the top and left corner look as though milk had spilled on it and been burned on for years." She said, "We'll get some knives and scrape it off." We pulled out a drawer and got out some long steel knives and started scraping. I called, "Mother, it's chrome underneath." "No", she answered, "That's silver, genuine silver, three layers deep."

I woke up saying, "three layers deep." Soon as I got up I got out my pedigree. My mother, "Ella Hickman, her father, William Adams Hickman, my great-grandfather, Edwin Thorn Hickman. Why that's exactly where we're stuck."

http://hickmansfamily.homestead.com/thecastle.html

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: March 31, 2016 06:12PM

Minerva painted the murals in the Manti Temple. My last temple visit was to Manti where I had my "revelation" that the temple ritual was pure bullshit. I took consolation in enjoying her art work.

The "World Room" is especially impressive with the course of corrupt human history on display. Above the alter is a painting of a plains Indian chief with a magnificent war bonnet. The Boner.

PS. I googled Manti Temple World Room and was able to find the image.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2016 06:14PM by byuboner.

Date: March 31, 2016 06:14PM

Yeah, I loved the world room there. It was the only "live sessions" temple I actually appreciated the art in.

Posted by: stevespoonemore ( )
Date: March 31, 2016 10:05PM

Maybe a magnificent war boner??

You missed an opportunity.

Posted by: Mike T. ( )
Date: April 01, 2016 07:25AM

I really loved the Teichert murals in the Manti temple. I always loved the large Native American with the outstretched arms, along with the "popes and priests" marching up the side of the room. And the fact that she painted dinosaurs in the Garden of Eden. The were very nice murals.

Posted by: Forgetting Abigail ( )
Date: March 31, 2016 06:22PM

Hmmm...after I read this thread I had a fleeting memory...something about an Ensign article on her art. Had to have been over 15 years ago. Why do I remember this stupid stuff.

Date: March 31, 2016 06:45PM

You learned it in the pre-existence?

Posted by: Forgetting Abigail ( )
Date: March 31, 2016 07:26PM

At the knee of Heavenly Mother.

Date: March 31, 2016 07:51PM

Were her knees spread apart? I mean, all of those spirit children! She probably was able to multi-task!

Posted by: alyssum ( )
Date: March 31, 2016 07:35PM

I go to sing a lullaby and what comes out but "The Chapel Doors" or "I'm trying to be like Jesus" or something. So I sing it until I realize there are words that I don't agree with anymore, and then I try to invent words a little more in line with what I believe now... I'm glad my baby doesn't care if it rhymes or scans.

Date: March 31, 2016 08:11PM

Oh my gosh, I do the same thing with church songs. The tunes are memorable, some of the ideas are nice, but others need updating & editing :)

Date: March 31, 2016 08:14PM

Good to know that everyone here has heard of this Minerva Teichert person. So now I wonder if maybe I HAD been vaguely subconsciously familiar with her name during my Mormon years. I was an avid Ensign reader. So maybe it's just a tic coming out lately. Or as AmyJo suggested, maybe a spiritual channeling, gah, who knows.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2016 08:17PM by lenina.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: March 31, 2016 09:22PM

I hadn't heard of her before today. Thanks to Dr. Google, I was able to channel a link or two.

Sometimes names come to us that makes you wonder why.

When I named a dog years ago, it took me weeks to find a name that suited her, so she went nameless for a time. At last it just popped into my head, and I knew it was the right one for her.

Baja (pronounced Ba-zha.) She looked like an Egyptian dog, was a mixed husky that had light tan markings and was strikingly Middle Eastern looking, not to mention very pretty.

I wondered then whether our pets are from other lifetimes, like we may be ourselves.

Life is stranger than fiction. Of that I have NO doubts!

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: March 31, 2016 08:18PM

The church ripped her off too. No penis, no money.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: March 31, 2016 08:28PM

The word polyvinylchloride use to pop into my head at random. Sometimes I would say it aloud. "That's PVC," someone would say. Then I would say, "I thought it was the filling in Twinkies."

Date: March 31, 2016 09:37PM

Ha! This made me laugh. Polyvinylchloride! So I'm not the only non-tourette's person to get these random verbal tics :)

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: April 01, 2016 12:39PM

I thought the word was "plastics."
At least, that's what Dustin Hoffman was told...:)

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: March 31, 2016 08:32PM

The church paid her a lousy $4000 for the Manti mural. With that money she had to pay ALL of her expenses, buy all of the paint, brushes, and other supplies, and hire an assistant to move scaffolding.

I doubt she made any money on that project. No matter, she was just a woman, why would she need money?

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: March 31, 2016 09:13PM

At the risk of sounding weird [not that I care so much about that], but you might be channeling her. She may have a message for you. If you don't believe in any of this, just ignore me. I am just thinking about it and that's what I come up with.
Perhaps you are an artist and don't even know it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2016 09:14PM by verilyverily.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: March 31, 2016 09:49PM

IN

on Minerva Teichert

thread

Posted by: Joe W ( )
Date: April 01, 2016 12:16AM

I like Minerva's work.

Related, several of the "Mormon Impressionists" were extremely good, if not excellent. I especially like John Hafen's work.

Posted by: travis ( )
Date: April 01, 2016 12:29AM

I think Minerva Teichert's work is pretty good too. I suppose I always sought it out after I served a mission with her nephew who talked about her all the time.

He was one of my favorite companions too. From Wyoming.

Date: April 01, 2016 08:39AM

Travis, Wyoming is where Minerva lived until the end of her life, and coincidentally I was born in Wyoming almost 1 year before her life ended.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=44670207

I must have subconsciously picked up her name from Ensign magazines through the years, as some of you've mentioned that her art is regularly featured there with credit to her. Because my goodness, if she died in 1976, there's no logical way I would have her name repeating in my memory unless I'd read it somewhere.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2016 08:41AM by lenina.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 01, 2016 11:02AM

Thank goodness there are illogical explanations to delight and edify!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.