Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Luna692 ( )
Date: April 01, 2016 12:37AM

I'm sure a lot of people have posted about something just like this. I go on my neighborhood Facebook page which also has posts from the local Ward. I don't know these guys from Adam I've only lived here a few months. I'm trying very hard to get to know my neighbors and be cordial. The local ward has stopped by they know my husband's and my work schedules and no we don't plan to attend church.
At first I thought the post was somewhat funny I laughed because what in their right mind makes them think I'm going to bother to show up.
The more I thought about it the more upset I got. Has anybody ever thought about asking if I would like to help clean the church? You don't just assume someone's going to just do it specially when they were working or raising a family I've also got a debilitating back injury that prevents me from doing much.

For them to demand that I show up to clean their Church which I've never set foot in and never plan too and then to tell that if I can't accommodate their schedule that I must change with someone else.
That just upsets me who do these people think they are? That's what janitors are for.
Why don't the Mormons contribute to the economy with all the millions of dollars of tithing they bring in and hire custodians and maids and janitors to take care of the building?
Most of the time when you step inside it stinks it's dirty and it smells like garbage.
Most of the families skip or dont do a decentjob as it is.
Any other thoughts on this matter? How dare they just assume they have a right to just assign me duties. Is there anyone leftin this state or even in this country know how to ask and be cordial when it comes to being volunteered or neighborly. I was taught etiquette and common sense and I'm only 30 years old. There are so many older than that don't seem to have any of it in utah.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 01, 2016 12:57AM

Were you named specifically in this one particular FB post? If so, how bizarre. I personally would unfollow the group.

Posted by: the1v ( )
Date: April 01, 2016 02:16AM

The proper etiquette in this situation is to politely ask who was kind enough to make the assignments.

When the reply comes, inform them that if they ever are so impolite again they will need to undergo an broom-ass-ectomy.

Posted by: too late to log in ( )
Date: April 01, 2016 02:24AM

Of course it isn't your fault, resigned or not.

This is nothing more than stupid Mormons being stupid Mormons. It's what they do, and having practiced their entire lives, they do it very well.

Best thing to do in response? Just keep on laughing at them. Whether they contact you by phone, text, email, FB, or especially in person, let them know how idiotic they are, when they assume they can steal your time whenever they want. TBMs hate being made fun of and ridiculed. Use the world "cult" freely; they hate that too.

Of course, they'll treat you like lepers, no matter how cordial you are. Then you can show them what your middle finger looks like.

There are plenty of people in the U.S. who are willing to be cordial and neighborly, and to ask politely. They just aren't Mormon, is all.

[But the church does contribute to the economy. For example, City Creek. And all the tithing money they launder eventually finds its way, via spending by the elite church families, into the broader marketplace.]

Posted by: Luna692 ( )
Date: April 01, 2016 02:33AM

As a matter if fact yes both our names were.

Posted by: wondering ( )
Date: April 01, 2016 02:51AM

Why not show up. If you get contacted just say you traded with whoever told you to show up. If they complain that you did not ask them say no one asked me either. A few times of that and maybe they will leave you alone

Posted by: R2 ( )
Date: April 01, 2016 03:04AM

Seriously, though. "I told you to be there." "Well I told you no."

Posted by: R2 ( )
Date: April 01, 2016 03:02AM

I bet they (and so many others) do it that way because it's what was done as they grew up and they see it all around them, so they think it's just protocol. I recommend letting them know you don't like it, but speak without harshness. They also probably think that if they ask instead of assign from the ward list, then ward members would do that all-too-common lazy/passive-aggressive thing of ignoring them and needing to be chased down, which is particularly prevalent in Mormon culture. Their problem, really. You just gotta let them know what's up :)

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: April 01, 2016 07:15AM

I would not acknowledge that you even saw the post. To them, it would be evidence that your lips are saying you don't want to go to church, but your heart is telling you to go. Otherwise, why would you be following them on FB?

You say, "No," but you out yourself as following them. Instead I'd say, "I didn't see the post. I told you I'm not interested. And, no, of course I'm not going to clean your church."

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: April 01, 2016 07:23AM

My last calling, as longtime posters may recall, was being in charge of the building. When I asked for volunteers for the month of August I was reprimanded by the bishop because it is not a matter of people volunteering but of BEING CALLED and the calling is one that cannot be refused. So.....I called the bish, his counselors, elders quorum pres and his counselors, high priest group leader, and members of the SP and high council and their families.

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: April 01, 2016 07:34AM

Oh, that was SWEET!!

Posted by: TexasRancher ( )
Date: April 01, 2016 02:08PM

I was told that cleaning the church was "an assignment" as opposed to "a calling"...you can refuse a calling, but an assignment is a totally different animal according to the church, lol.

Posted by: dc2010 ( )
Date: April 01, 2016 04:34PM

I was told the same thing. Unfortunately I was not raised mormon and I couldn't just 'assigned' people, so I asked and I begged and pretty much ended up helping or cleaning myself.

So on Boxing Day 2009, I ended up with the dilemma of cleaning the building by myself since nobody volunteered, not even my family. Or to leave it as it was. It was a Saturday. I decided to get up early on Sunday and just go in and empty the garbage.

A good thing came out of that. I was so mad at the whole clean-the-building thing and the we're-obedient-reverent responses I got from the self-righteous-never-critize-the-church crowd, who btw were the last ones to sign up, that I turned to the Internet. I wanted to know who else out there might be bothered as I was. Voila, Two months later I stopped paying tithing and started my journey out.

I guess I can say thank you LDS church for your ridiculous idea of letting the janitors go, or else I'd still be an obedient cult-goer.

D

Posted by: excatholic ( )
Date: April 01, 2016 07:37AM

My response would depend on how it is phrased. "Everyone, please sign up to clean the chapel" is different than "Luna692 We have you down for cleaning the chapel on April 16th. The first one can quietly be ignored, while the second one deserves a scathing response.

I'd be tempted to go on FB today and post something like, "You almost had me there until I realized it was an April Fool's joke. You people are funny thinking anyone would come clean the church instead of hiring janitors like normal religions."

Posted by: magpie ( )
Date: April 01, 2016 08:06AM

Luna, I have never been to Utah, but from what I read, understand it to be the dwelling place of all that is bad about LDS, and yes, they say the smell wafts out.

Apparently, TBMs there are intentionally sheltered and insulated from "normal" societal behaviors. -How else could they survive their lives being stolen and wasted in pursuit of LD$ fan fiction? It's a sort of dream world, where they expect to be released only by death, when they will awake on a magic planet and all of their pain and suffering will be over.

That's a pretty sad way to spend your life, but it's also a license for the rudeness of entitlement, where everyone knows they bear no personal responsibility if "called," when answering "callings" are how one gets to the magic planet. They are lost, and think you crazy if you don't understand the price you must pay.

It is a daily exercise to avoid contempt, because that is the easy answer. Much more difficult are the examples I've seen on this board of leaving the doors open, and planting seeds of free thought. Being kind, authentic and content are the best seeds I've seen, and is personally more satisfying than casting stones.

You may want to consider it a growth opportunity to be your true, nice self while firmly establishing boundaries. You will be a thing of awe to them. Live well, free, and in peace.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: April 01, 2016 08:11AM

The simplest response would be to ignore them, and that includes the post.

It may raise their eyebrows a little bit. But it's no sweat off of yours.

You don't owe them a thing. Not your time, not your money, not your free labor.

They can't just volunteer you without your permission.

Plain and simple. Ignore them, and they'll get the hint soon enough you want nothing to do with their regimen or regime.

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: April 01, 2016 09:37AM

LDS has the right to request or demand or state or imply any number of stupid, irrational, immoral, unethical, manipulative, nasty, inflammatory, or cruel BS.

I have the right to say "no." Just "no." No rationale necessary. There's no debate, because I said so.

My "no" negates everything they say or do--their demands for free janitorial service; their begging for money; their absurd requests for temple visits, special underwear, home visits, restrictions on use of genitalia, prohibitions on a cup of java, etc.

LDS has no power unless I cede my power to them. It's my choice, not theirs.

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: April 01, 2016 11:24AM

I think my earlier post (a reply) was lost when someone removed their post.

it bares repeating

you have no obligation to the church, other than that which you chose to give

they have no power over you, other than that which you allow them to have

it doesn't matter if you have resigned or not (and, remember, it it the CHURCH which requires the resignation process, no one else even cares)

Posted by: Lurker From Beyond ( )
Date: April 01, 2016 12:43PM

Since you aren't going to their church, why bother with any response at all?

Just ignore it. If anyone asks, maybe say something like, "Why would I clean a church I don't go to?"

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: April 01, 2016 12:54PM

My answer is
1. I am not a janitor.
2. If I should work at that I get $15.00 per hour 3 hour minimum + benefits cash up front.
3. I DON'T WORK FOR FREE

Posted by: Green Greece ( )
Date: April 01, 2016 02:37PM

In my parent's ward, they include the names of the people assigned to clean the upcoming week in the Sunday bulletin. They don't bother to ask if the person wants to clean the church. They just assume you are going to be there as does the rest of the ward whom reads your names in the bulletin.

Posted by: shortbobgirl ( )
Date: April 01, 2016 02:37PM

I told someone once that assigned work on weekends was performed at my time and a half rate from my day job. I charge a 4 hour minimum and the rate was going to be $70.50 per hour paid up front.

Never heard from them again. LOL!!!!!

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: April 01, 2016 03:04PM

My answer would be "Why would I clean a church I don't belong to?" The nice thing about not living in Utah is that nobody really cares where or even if you go to church, just as long as you don't push whatever beliefs you have on others.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: April 01, 2016 04:15PM

From the story I've been told, wards are desparate to get bodies to clean the building. So, it makes sense that the poor person assigned to the duty of finding these bodies uses whatever means he can think of to drag people out to "do their duty". I can't imagine having this job.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.