Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: seneschal ( )
Date: April 02, 2016 01:47PM

I stopped going to Church back in November. This of course led to emails and texts asking if everything was OK. Soon the missionaries were stopping by unannounced. I sent a firm letter to the Bishop and EQ stating I didn't want anyone stopping by my house unannounced. So they eventually stopped. I recently moved and had no intention of giving them my new address. However, a good friend (who lives in a different area entirely) and the last person I would have ever expected to do this, called my old Bishop and gave them my new address. He then called and talked to my new Bishop. I had barely unpacked and the executive secretary is calling and texting asking to set up an appointment so I can meet up with the Bishop. I very firmly told him no and that I wasn't interested in coming back to the church. I explained how busy I am and don't want to be bothered. Then the EQ president contacts me, welcoming me to the ward and says he hopes to see me soon. I told him that won't be happening. Then the missionaries call and leave a message. Then they text me. Finally, they stop by several times unannounced. I didn't respond to them at all. These people are so tone deaf. The minute I told the Bishop's secretary I didn't want to be bothered or come back, that should have been it. But instead they probably discussed it during Ward council and coordinated this love bombing. It is really damned annoying. I didn't want to have to officially resign, but it looks like I have no choice.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: April 02, 2016 01:54PM

I think I would end up saying to them, "What's wrong with you people?! I said, "No." That should suffice."

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: April 02, 2016 02:11PM

Mormonism's entire foundation is built on bothering people and telling them that their lifestyle is wrong. Great way to win friends.

Posted by: Laperla not logged in ( )
Date: April 02, 2016 02:15PM

I like how you used the same phrase. I'm going to start using it more. I usually say the Mo church is like the tar baby in Brer Rabbit, but I like using their phrase.

Date: April 02, 2016 02:16PM

I think it's probably a good idea to let them know that their behaviour is a complete turn-off. They really believe that they are loving people back into the Church. It's a real shock to them when people don't see them the way that they think people see them.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: April 02, 2016 02:17PM

Yes, you do need to resign. You are also more patient than you need to be. There's no need to explain how busy you are or justify your situation in any way.

"Mormons again? Good grief! Stay away or I'll file a police report and turn the garden hose on you. Goodbye." Close the door or hang up the phone.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 02, 2016 07:32PM

I think they´d prefer it if you resigned, since it would lessen the drag on their stats.

When I once suggested to the ward clerk that I be put on the do not bother list, he said that there is no such thing, because as the ´father´ of the ward, the bishop has a DUTY to keep trying to help ALL his children.

And they mean it!

Posted by: exldsdudeinslc ( )
Date: April 02, 2016 02:20PM

tbh I don't understand why people who want nothing to do with tscc don't resign (or get ex'd intentionally). Just go do it already, no reason to put up with that bullshit.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: April 02, 2016 03:10PM

Actually, there's no reason for them to explain it to you or anyone, any more than they need to explain to Mormons why they want to be left alone.

I'm sure anyone with imagination could come up with valid reasons to resign or not, but it's always up the individual not to strangers who will never meet them.

Posted by: Imbolc ( )
Date: April 02, 2016 02:23PM

You could ask each person who contacts you if English is their second language. If you care to engage. But I would think ignoring them will at least cool their ardor. Maybe even make them disappear one day.

Too bad Mormons hear, "Please, please keep trying with me. I desperately want you to." when you say, "Leave me the fuck alone, you odious cult members." Having been Mormon is like getting some disease that keeps reappearing after the doctor has assured you it's been cured.

Posted by: annieg ( )
Date: April 02, 2016 02:44PM

Start naming your friend as a VD contact to the localhealth board.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: April 02, 2016 05:19PM

annieg Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Start naming your friend as a VD contact to the
> localhealth board.

Don't do that - it could lead to your being sued for defamation.

Posted by: tomie ( )
Date: April 02, 2016 04:09PM

Don't say you're busy. They don't care about that. Say I think you're a cult. When you continue to contact me after being told not to just reinforces my belief that the Mormon church is a cult.

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: April 02, 2016 04:10PM

Actually I think it is called WARD CLOWNCELL meeting

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: April 02, 2016 04:14PM

Are you a priesthood holder? It seems they are rather desperate to have you back. Could it be they are getting low on priesthood?

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: April 02, 2016 04:32PM

I think this is weird, how some people seem to get harassed and others don't. A couple of years back, I told the bishop that I had no interest in meeting with him. Absolutely nobody has bothered me about church since. (I think there are a couple of things that help. First, my wife, when anyone asks, reiterates my disinterest. Second, I have learned to mean what I say, and be clear about it, discouraging any subsequent sales efforts. It helps to be 6'5", with an occasionally hostile demeanor. )

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: April 02, 2016 05:25PM

Years ago, when they were pestering me like that, I remember noticing how robotic they are about it. Also, they don't tell each other the most important piece of information about you -- that you're not interested in their church. It comes as a surprise to every person you have to talk to.

They are a bothersome, pushy, mindless religion. I would send the letter just to save yourself the trouble. Good luck!

Posted by: formermollymormon ( )
Date: April 02, 2016 05:35PM

What you are going through sounds very familiar to what I've gone through. No need to be polite with them anymore. I tried to be polite in the beginning. That did not work. I was then very firm with them and told them not to contact me. At times I finally got rude. My never mo husband has let them have it. It didn't stop them. Block their numbers so they can't text or call you. Do whatever it takes. They just don't give up so if you have to resign do it. It took me a good 15 years to finally resign and I'm glad I did. Good luck to you.

Posted by: misterzelph ( )
Date: April 02, 2016 07:28PM

Here's what seemed to work for me. Once they (home teachers, EQP, or whatever) figure out that you know way more than the average pew-sitting TBM, they leave you alone. Word gets back to the Ward Council.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2016 07:28PM by misterzelph.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: April 02, 2016 08:50PM

Fresh meat! Fresh meat just moved in! Fresh meat!

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: April 17, 2016 03:36PM

Stray Mutt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Fresh meat! Fresh meat just moved in! Fresh meat!

==================================
Izzat like "Fishie, fishie, fishie"?

Posted by: seneschal ( )
Date: April 17, 2016 01:20PM

So after originally posting this, the harassment only increased. As a result, I decided that I needed to resign. I emailed my resignation last week and have already received the first letter. I hope that the second letter will not be too far behind.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: April 17, 2016 01:39PM

I must have left a clear reputation that I don't like being messed with and don't take crap from anyone when I left the LDS Church! The "elders" came by tracting a few times, and called for rides other times, and I gave them a bunch of stuff to think about!! Oh what FUN that was! One was a real annoying little brat so that was the impetus for my "Door Sign" to keep the members away. That must have spread through the grapevine and I was left alone for good! I often say that "my reputation preceded me" and I was left alone.
My husband was still a member, but nobody bothered him either. His health prohibited him from attending very often so that helped.

I've had to set some clear boundaries. When a bishop stopped by after my husband died and had an LDS service, he asked if he could leave with prayer. I answered. NO. So then he wanted a hug. Say What? I acquiesced .. for a little hug. How weird is that. He asked if he could call from time to time to see how I was doing. I told him that would be OK. That was over three years ago and no phone call! :-) (I had resigned in 2002 officially so there was no reason to contact me anyhow!)
Nice guy, but misguided.

I'm just feisty enough to leave clear messages and nobody from the LDS Church bothers me!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2016 01:40PM by SusieQ#1.

Date: April 17, 2016 01:45PM

Good for you, seneschal. I'm sorry that you felt pushed to that point though. It's extremely galling.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 17, 2016 04:25PM

Ask each caller about their hometown. Then ask, "Oh, is your mom's name Vera, who lives on Main St.?" When they give up their parent's name and street, ask them if they would like their mom harassed to the degree that they are harassing you. That might solve the problem.

Posted by: frogdogs ( )
Date: April 17, 2016 05:22PM

Yep, in about 2 years it'll be 30 years since I left. Since then I've moved 4 times across thousands of miles...and TFC has tracked me down in each home.

Though I sent a letter to the bishop in whose ward I lived in 1991 requesting my name be removed (I was way too diplomatic and it was a request rather than a statement that I resigned), I never met the guy and the places I moved after that brought continued attempts to reactivate me, looking for me by my maiden name.

Since then an encounter with my TBM mother who asked me not to resign plucked at my heartstrings. She's a good person and was a very compassionate and hard working mom (if misguided). If my not formally resigning comforts her, I can give her that. She comes from pioneer stock, and even though every single one of her many children is now ex-mo, she will never leave. I've accepted that, though it's been hard.

Plus, 5 years ago I moved into a gated community so the only ways the local ward has tried to contact me are far less intrusive: snail mail and phone - and I screen my calls, letting it go to voicemail then deleting if it's not someone I know.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.