Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: sd allison ( )
Date: April 03, 2016 12:44PM

Or at least so says Monson this morning. Any ideas why another? Are there really that many Mormons in Lima?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jojo ( )
Date: April 03, 2016 12:49PM

In Peru
557,328 members
12 Missions
774 Congregations

So yes I guess there are a lot and many of them must be in Lima.

Posted by: Britboy ( )
Date: April 03, 2016 03:55PM

Active membership is about 8,000 to 10,000. ,!

Posted by: tamboruco ( )
Date: April 03, 2016 02:11PM

I visited the Lima temple on a trip down there. Lima is a huge city not only in numbers but geographically as well. The temple is one of those crazy ones (Boise and Dallas) where they tried to model it after the tent like tabernacles described in the Bible. These temples have the six free standing spires. Very odd buildings and actually quite small. I heard they added on to the Lima temple but it still isn't big enough.

Anybody know how many members constitutes a 'temple district'? My guess is they easily have sufficient numbers in Lima for a second temple despite huge inactivity.

They should build the new one out west in Callao - one of the nastiest parts of the city. It can then be a 'light' unto the area. The temple there now is in La Molina - a very well to do area.

I feel for these Peruvian Mormons - they are part of the identity heist that ChurchCo continues to push down there. The teaching that they are "blood descended" of the House of Israel is so damaging. But I don't think a lot of them understand the ruse. It's sad.

Posted by: Friend ( )
Date: April 03, 2016 04:11PM

Yes, it is.

Posted by: Justin ( )
Date: April 14, 2016 09:51AM

Actually there are 42 stakes in Lima plus other 23 stakes from other cities through the country. Recently the Trujillo Peru temple was dedicated, and another emple was announced 3 years ago to be built in Arequipa, to the south of the country, but apparently they are not enough

The Temple actually is too small due the number of people, there are lots of people waiting to get into he Temple. The temple district is actually bigger thna the Provo temple.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: April 14, 2016 03:53PM

I'll be going to Lima at Christmas to see my son and his Peruvian wife, neither of whom are even remotely mormon, thank the FSM ;-).

I'll try and check it out.

It does indeed sound very sad.

Tom in Paris

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.