Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: April 05, 2016 06:19PM

I'm sick to death of mormons (ok other religious nutcases too) ranting about the fact that **they** are tired of supporting these people who are too lazy to work and pay taxes (like they do). Another post on my FB today from a guy I used to work with in Utah. I didn't comment there because I actually like the guy and he never seemed to care that I was exmo. But I gotta rant sommmmmmwhere.

So this guy made about the same as I made when we worked together. He still works there. I can guarantee his wages haven't gone up by staying in the same company in Utah and just getting COL raises and maybe some step increases. But I'm gonna give him the benefit of the doubt and say his pay has doubled, as mine has for being smart enough to leave Utah.

So before deciding whether to rant back to him that **I** am tired of supporting people who pop out kids and expect everyone else to pay to educate them and support them while their wives think they are too privileged to work also, I wanted to be sure of my facts. So I ran my income through a tax calculator to see what I would owe if I was married with only one income (the one I have now and the max he would possibly have) and had 4 kids under 18, like they do. And I figured their "charitable" deductions/tithing on what 10% of my net, not gross, income would be (after taxes, insurance, retirement, etc.). And they'd have a bigger pre-tax credit for family health insurance than I do for single and I also didn't figure any other deductions like mortgage interest, just let it run on standard deductions and child tax credits.

And how did it come out if I'd had $0 withheld from my paychecks for Federal taxes? I would still get a REFUND! I'd have to make another $5,000/yr. more than I make to even begin to owe any Federal taxes.

Oh, but how they complain about how they work so hard to support the lazy people (you know, the ones who work a 40-hr/week job but get some help with food, or healthcare for their 1 or 2 children). His wife even commented in agreement with his post. Like she has any clue what working people go through. In fact, who rants the most about people who **won't** get a job? Mormon women who have never worked a full-time job, probably ever. I'm sorry, bitch, but your husband's job is not **your** job. YOU are the lazy one if you can't make it on his income. Some of us raised children AND worked full time. If you can stay home--great. But that does NOT make YOU a taxpayer, so STFU! If you don't have enough money, quit giving it to that stupid mindfucking cult!

OK, that's all. Thanks for taking it so I can stay FB friends with my friend.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2016 06:21PM by NormaRae.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: April 05, 2016 07:09PM

I agree with what you've said.

But maybe he has a problem with property taxes? Even poor people still have to pay those if they own property.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 05, 2016 08:17PM

and if they ('poor people') rent, part of their rent money goes to property taxes...

just sayin'

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: April 05, 2016 09:49PM

Yes, I'm sure they pay property and sales and gasoline taxes like the rest of us. But people get on these rants in reference to SNAP and housing subsidies. Federal programs and Federal money. And they see a bunch of money come out of their checks for income tax and so they think they are an oppressed tax payer. Then when they get a $5000 refund in the Spring that is their gift from God for paying their tithing. NO. That is because they owed no taxes. So none of their money got wasted on hungry children.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2016 09:54PM by NormaRae.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 05, 2016 07:30PM

I agree %100. I paid Social Security taxes for all my working years. I didn't complain, because my 401k just kept losing money. Now I'm living on retirement benefits, and my pension is too small to live on. It's the Social security checks that keep me going. And my wife and son as well. Both live with me.

Idiot Mormons bitch about taxes, but they obediently give ten percent or more of their income to a real estate holding company. Jackasses.

Posted by: S2 in Chandler ( )
Date: April 05, 2016 07:41PM

I have a young idiot TBM cousin who posted the following meme on FB:

Rich people are rich because they act like they are poor.

Poor people are poor because the act like they are rich.

I responded by calling bullshit. "You are blaming the victims instead of the criminals."

We are no longer FB friends. Imagine that! It's a great loss, but I'm bearing up under the strain.

Sterling Skouson

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: April 05, 2016 07:43PM

Wow, what a contrivance.

I've known millionaires. They live like millionaires.

I've known street people. They don't have a penny to their names.

Posted by: 64monkey ( )
Date: April 05, 2016 07:52PM

If one really believes in Jesus's teachings then we are obligated to help those in need. No where does Jesus have a check list of qualifications that must be meet before he, or any of us should help anyone.

Beside's if tomorrow the state and federal government stopped every welfare program there is. Food stamps, housing, Medicaid, etc., what do you think the chances are you'd get a refund?

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 05, 2016 07:57PM

I've worked in inner-city Title 1 schools for most of my teaching career. One thing that came as a surprise to me was to discover how hard my low-income parents work. At my last school virtually every parent was employed, and about half of them were working 2 or even 3 jobs.

I was teaching a lesson on community workers with my current crop of kids. As part of the discussion, the kids shared what their parents do for a living. I was really touched to find out the variety of incredibly useful jobs that they do. They are jobs that impact the rest of us every day -- things like making pizzas, working as a nurse's aide, roofing, landscaping, and so on.

I wish that we would put the myth that "poor people are lazy" to rest. Low income families are incredibly hard working for the most part. Our country would come to a crashing halt without their labor.

Posted by: S2 in Chandler ( )
Date: April 05, 2016 08:07PM

Even Warren Buffett said it was a disgrace that his secretary was in a higher tax bracket than he was.

S

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: April 05, 2016 08:54PM

Well said. I agree on the income taxes. Those people get a write off on their taxes to support their church, and they flood the school system with a zillion kids.

Don't get ME started about property taxes in the great state of Utah, where there is a property tax-exempt Mormon church on every corner. And in my lovely little town, they also don't like businesses to be open on Sunday, in keeping with the quiet rest they want to happen on Sunday, and the town actually seems busier that usual since all the church parking lots are jammed and overflowing onto the residential streets.

So everybody pays higher property taxes because we don't have the business base to offset those taxes, and the Mormon church doesn't pay their fair share of property taxes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2016 08:56PM by imaworkinonit.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: April 05, 2016 09:54PM

MORmONS need to shut up about a lot of things

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CiyrZd-kB0

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: April 06, 2016 12:24AM

The extra $5000 comes from two sources.

First there is a child tax credit of $1000 per child that will reduce your tax bill.

Second there is the Earned Income Credit. Basically a redistribution of wealth from the single unmarried to those that have children.

So I had to rant there. Seriously the Earned Income Credit is a tax refund based on salary and number of children. Anyone with kids that makes a certain amount of money will get it.

Posted by: the1v ( )
Date: April 06, 2016 12:52AM

The problem with taxes is all the myriad of ways that they are collected. You have hidden taxes and up front taxes, property taxes, sales taxes on some items but not on others. It's all extremely confusing. Nobody here can actually calculate the percentage of our income that is taxed in the U.S. I've got nothing against taxes. I use public services and I agree that its fair that I pay for them.

Taxes are also inherently volatile. Lack of mandatory reserve for core government programs is a major issue. During the financial downturn the state of California ran out of money for child-action (low income daycare subsidies). Many of the people who no longer had childcare had to quit there jobs. My wife and I were in the same situations. Childcare's were closing like crazy all over the place. Our kids got bounce out of three in a row that shut down over the course of 3 months. My wife had to quit her job but still got unemployment benefits due to extreme circumstances.

Posted by: dogeatdog ( )
Date: April 06, 2016 01:12AM

I personally totally agree. It's so hypocritical. How many tax breaks do 'big business' get? Aka. church owned businesses.... Plus 'non-profits' get tax breaks, aka. Religion like the church. But they all B and moan about 'supporting welfare mammas'....

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: April 06, 2016 01:21AM

I've always been in favor of a head tax. That would keep those tubal ligation doctors busy for years in utah.

The more brats, the more taxes. It is more fair than what we have now. That popping a brat out every 9 months would stop and fast.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.