Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Holy the Ghost ( )
Date: April 27, 2011 05:33PM

Conservatism for the author was to to link politics to God, and liberalism was the study of biology.
Conservatism = faith
Liberalism = science
I wonder how widespread this perception is at the Y.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: nalicea ( )
Date: April 27, 2011 05:49PM

YBU needs to pull all of their paintings down with Jesus in them. The fact that Jesus is so blatantly Caucasian in all LDS paintings baffles me, to this day..

Posted by: AKA Alma ( )
Date: April 27, 2011 05:59PM

I wouldn't call that painting "conservative" I would call it disturbing...

Why is the judge crying?

Posted by: Scooter ( )
Date: April 28, 2011 10:18AM

if you found yourself in that travesty?

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: April 28, 2011 11:12AM

...the people in the lower right corner (Jesus's left) represent liberals who, being godless scum (according to conservatives), are too ashamed to look at Jesus.

Posted by: Holy the Ghost ( )
Date: April 27, 2011 06:04PM

out of all the possible combinations of permutations of possibilities regarding who and how one should worship, the judge guessed wrong. Eternity in flames for not guessing the correct set of unjustifiable propositions.
God is love.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 27, 2011 06:07PM

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: April 27, 2011 06:36PM

summer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> n/t

In all probability it had nothing to do with his art. He probably accidentally upset the third cousin of a 70 who decided to 'suggest' to the book store that his art be withdrawn. Hence the several different reasons that the art was pulled and the reliance on the decision of a body that apparently did not exist.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2011 06:37PM by matt.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 28, 2011 05:33PM

It is *incredibly* bad art. Not that I think anyone at the BYU bookstore would care. But I it would be a hoot to give that reason to the "artist".

Mormonism has yet to spawn its Michelangelo.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: April 28, 2011 09:59AM

...and had no idea it was by a Mormon. Since then, I've seen a couple of spoofs of it.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: April 28, 2011 10:04AM

And another thing: I'm not American (Brit in France) but I thought that there was freedom of opinion in the US. (don't worry, I know there is!)

So why is the existence of a Democratic Party club at BYU supposedly evidence of a liberal bias? particularly when, from a non-US point of view, even US Democrats are mostly pretty conservative...

Crazy stuff :-(

Posted by: Dances with Cureloms ( )
Date: April 28, 2011 10:16AM

These paintings have mormon-Teabagger kitsch written all over them. I love the cartoonist's humility in adding himself next the Jesus carrying the cross.

Posted by: just a thought ( )
Date: April 28, 2011 11:05AM

He was probably banned because he brought a lot unwanted attention to topics the church would rather not talk about. The church hates to be put in a situation where they have to say "We don't know too much about that" to the outside world, while saying "wink-wink-nudge-nudge, we totally believe that" to the hard cores in happy valley.

His idea that he was banned because creeping liberalism at byu is evidence of his creeping political paranoia.

Posted by: Adult of god ( )
Date: April 28, 2011 12:48PM

He's like Barbie--about seven feet tall if her proportions are true.

Posted by: Thread Killer ( )
Date: April 28, 2011 01:04PM

There is another site that does a "commentary" on that painting;

http://www.shortpacked.com/McNaughton%20Fine%20Art.htm

Posted by: Thread Killer ( )
Date: April 28, 2011 01:07PM

Notice the kid with 'The Five Thousand Year Leap' under his arm?

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: April 28, 2011 09:50PM

That is so ironic!

Posted by: Anon. ( )
Date: April 28, 2011 01:49PM

...that the influence of Satan has been made manifest even at the Lord's university, and therefore (obviously) within the top echelons of the Church itself. What other explanation is at all possible? I think this rightwing artist must now admit that even the very elect of the Lord have been deceived.

I therefore strongly suggest that he reevaluate his previously-held testimony about the Lord's church, admit the church itself has now apostasized, and find a new church, preferably one that still holds to the practice of plural marriage (in the here and now, not just in the next world). Only then will this artist find an accepting community for his vital work of historical impressionism.

Of course, I find all this mildly amusing. Usually it's just the campus liberals who get this kind of duplitious denials of upper level involvement and backtracking buck-passing, where everybody denies responsibility, until finally it's decided which lower level toady will take the blame.

Date: April 28, 2011 01:59PM

...When this artist removes all his art from the BYU Bookstore, just who does he think that is going to hurt the most? BYU, or the artist? I mean, where else is this artist going to find such a concentrated group of "art lovers" whose tastes in "art" run to Nazi-propaganda type themes? Possibly Bob Jones University, but really, where else?

Of course, I have to admit to a little personal bias. I clicked on the link to actually get a look at this painting, and I felt a queasy sense of nausea. It's not really art; it's just the typical historically illiterate tea party type nonsense.

Posted by: drilldoc ( )
Date: April 28, 2011 02:07PM

is a little "gag me with a spoon" in my opinion. But the whole process of his censorship was very telling about how YBU handles things they find "disturbing" especially about the part of asking the artist not to say anything to the public.

Posted by: Longout ( )
Date: April 28, 2011 10:01PM

Posted by: drilldoc ( )
Date: May 06, 2011 02:19PM

Longout Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> n/t

Hmmm. As great as the constitution is, I think it is a huge stretch that God would be holding it up as scripture. This guy is really a nut.

Posted by: mr. mike ( )
Date: April 28, 2011 10:43PM

What ticks me off is that on the "dead good guys" side, Davy Crockett is closer to the viewer than Fredrick Douglas. And why does the Union Civil War soldier have to shield his eyes? His side didn't start the war!

If the strokework was lighter and more Chinese, I would swear somebody in North Korea painted that piece of "art." It's like if you combined Thomas Kincade with a fundamentalist Christian church painting.

Date: May 06, 2011 03:25PM

...couldn't tolerate this painting. Notice carefully that none of the soldiers is holding any kind of gun or weapon. For the "Gold, Guns, and God" tea party crowd, this is a dead give-away that the "artist" is a secret liberal! By disarming our brave soldiers, he is trying to send a secret LIBERAL message that leaves out the most important part of today's rightwing gospel --- GUNS! Once again, the wise administrators at BYU have saved its helplessly impressionable students from such sly, left-wing, anti-gun apostasy!

Date: May 06, 2011 03:27PM

Posted by: foreverhuman ( )
Date: May 06, 2011 03:47PM

Why is it so hard to see that the church is trying to facilitate Romney's ascent into the white house by making a public display of their support for separating church and state! I mean, could you imagine what the world would think if they thought mormons believed they are solely responsible for the well-being of the constitution?

If GBH were alive today you can bet he would have had such references wiped from D&C and gone on TV to explain that we don't believe or teach such things.

Jesus and Joseph want a TBM for president! BYU is just doing its part!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.