Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: To hell in a handbasket ( )
Date: April 11, 2016 11:53PM

Soooo I heard through the grapevine that there will no longer be a Moscow, Idaho student Ward. It is being combined. Now the married student adults will attend the normal ward, and there will be a singles ward still.
It was attributed to more students attending BYU I. Maybe, maybe not.
Anyways, carry on ;)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: April 12, 2016 12:22AM

I attended the U of I back in the late 60's. The student ward was always well attended. Most of my mormon friends went to Ricks (as it was called back then). I was still a molly though and washed out one of our suite-mates mouth with soap because she would not stop saying the F word. Sorry, Linda.

Posted by: 3X (nli) ( )
Date: April 12, 2016 01:29PM

A molly, you say?

Holy Crap (as Mike Rowe would say).

:)

Posted by: L Tom Petty ( )
Date: April 12, 2016 02:38PM

Back in the day there was a married student ward and at least one single student ward. And a town ward or two, maybe just one. It has been so long I don't remember.

So the hastening is not working out all that well in Moscow. Pity.

Posted by: ModOne ( )
Date: April 12, 2016 09:36PM

That's a nice part of Idaho because it is so close to Washington. It would be great to see it diminished of Mormons. Then it might be a nice place to live.

Date: April 13, 2016 05:56PM

I honestly don't feel much lds influence here. I feel more of a hippy/student/pot head influence than anything, with a touch of redneck/backwoods. If I didn't know there were mormons here, i would never notice, other than the mishies wandering around, and students making disparaging comments about mormons as they walk by the institute lol.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 13, 2016 07:49PM

I've talked to some N. Idaho trap shooters and they just hate when the S. Idaho Mormon guys get righteous on them.

RB

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: April 12, 2016 10:12PM

It's already diminished of Mormons, like some other parts of Idaho. Something like only 25% if that, of Moscow's population are Mormon. Considering the exodus out of the church, and the liberal secular nature of the University of Idaho school system it is probably due to the unpopularity of being Mormon and its fallen out from grace in the Millenial Generation and younger coming of age.

Demographics will continue to shrink the LDS population in these Idaho communities far removed from the Morridor.

http://www.homefacts.com/religions/Idaho/Latah-County/Moscow.html

Posted by: ModOne ( )
Date: April 13, 2016 12:48PM

YAY!!!

Date: April 13, 2016 05:47PM

I read your estimate of 25%, and thought, there's no way 1 in 4 people in Moscow are lds.
The link you posted said that about 30% of church attenders are lds, not that 30% of the population is lds.
This site says that about 9% of moscow is lds, and you have to wonder if that data is based on some sort of independent census data, or if it is based on memberships records that the churches submit.
http://www.bestplaces.net/religion/city/idaho/moscow

Date: April 13, 2016 07:02PM

I went to junior college in Coeur d'Alene, which is a stone's throw from Moscow. Granted it was a generation ago already, but then it was app 1/4 the locals were considered LDS.

If 29% of the latest pols online show that active membership in any religion is LDS in Moscow, it sounds like it's still a strong but not overly dominant force in the region.

The link you share breaks down the percentages, and LDS is right at the top with more than 1/3 of the religions listed, it dominates all of them in Moscow of active church goers, granted.

Which means out of those in attendance at any churches in Moscow, more are not actively involved with any church.

The numbers could also be more in the middle as those who don't claim a religious persuasion could be Jack Mormons.

Looking at the phone listings for the churches in Moscow, it's easy to see how the LDS dominates by churches in the locale.
http://moscow.areaconnect.com/churches.htm

Posted by: kenc ( )
Date: April 13, 2016 05:03PM

Former U of Idaho married student ward bishop here 1998-2001!

When I left CES and the church in 2001-2002 there were 3 single student wards and 2 married student wards. In fact they built a new huge building for the student wards (up above Applebees) :)

A friend of mine and former colleague, who is now the Director of the LDS institute adjacent to Washington State University, told me recently that the number of LDS institute attending students at WSU and U of I has been dwindling. I do not believe that it is all because of BYU-I. There are many factors. U of I has historically been isolated from S and SE Idaho. To say it kindly, it is remote. When I was at the UI institute we always had to recruit real hard to get students to come to the U of I (because it was known as a party school in S Idaho). The law school at UI was a draw, but there are plans to put a law school in Boise, so even more students will be opting to stay in Boise and attend law school.

To another poster who guessed at the %age of Mormons in the Moscow, ID area, it is about 5% give or take. This is Northern Idaho and Mormons are a small minority. In fact most of the students I taught in institute (at the UI Institute) came from S Idaho, and were eager to return after "granulation." Many students attended undergraduate at UI to get away from the church and churchy parents. Not all, but most did not attend institute or church.

This is great news. Now if the town wards will shrink some more, that would be great.

Date: April 13, 2016 05:53PM

I remember when they built that monstrosity up there by Staples. Would be interesting to see how much their membership has decreased since then.
I attended U of I for a few years, then transferred to a different university, and maybe it is just because I am taking higher level courses, but my classes are much different. Smaller, the students are more serious, less clique bs, people actually go to class, etc. U of I is Definitely a party school. I lived in the women's co-op on campus (in the old D Chi building. they got kicked off campus for a few years), surrounded by frats, and let me tell ya... it was a wild time lol. hoo boy.
I responded to the stat of 25% lds, above, with this link. It cites the lds population as about 8% or so (although it is hard to say how they got that data).
http://www.bestplaces.net/religion/city/idaho/moscow

Posted by: Exmogal ( )
Date: April 13, 2016 07:12PM

So is Moscow Idaho a good place for an exmo or Nevermo to live? What's it like?

Date: April 13, 2016 07:21PM

Having been to college in northern Idaho, and then Boise (Moscow was between both places,) then (it was mid-1980's,) these schools were a liberal mecca for a liberal and progressive student body, and faculty.

Moscow at that time was considered more conservative than Boise or Coeur d'Alene, but not because it was dominated by LDS.

As a party school, that may be. Many of the students from North Idaho College would go there on weekends for partying. One of the most popular students in my little college up north was killed with her 3 co-passengers coming back from an overnight binge that cost them all their lives when their car spun out of control on a slippery mountain road, meeting a diesel truck head-on in the opposite lane.

She was one of those larger than life people who we thought would surely go places. It was beyond tragic.

Posted by: kenc ( )
Date: April 14, 2016 08:04PM

I would add a couple of things to the excellent summary of what Moscow is like.

Latah County (Pronounced Lay-Taw) is the most liberal county in the state.

There are just under 24,000 people living here now.

The small town atmosphere is great, people are the most friendly of anywhere I've ever lived.

There are amazing biking trails (paved) through beautiful country, great hiking and backpacking trails (Moscow Mountain), great fishing, hunting.

We moved here in 1990 and will likely never move away.

Finally, I was very well known and everyone in the Mormon community was shocked when I walked away from CES and the church. But I rarely see Mormons in town. Whether there are 5-8% Mormons in the region or not, a fair number are inactive, and the rest I guess are cleaning the church. I just rarely see any. And they are not a vocal group.

Date: April 14, 2016 03:14PM

I personally prefer Moscow to almost every other place I have been or lived in. It is big enough that there is entertainment and shopping and stuff (although some say there is not enough), but small enough that places are within walking or biking distance. It is becoming more friendly to bikers and pedestrians, although the peds still follow the 'portland rule' (any intersection is a potential crosswalk, no need to look both ways before launching out into a dark street wearing all black, etc.). It is not always friendly to strangers (especially if your car has california plates...), but if you find the right group, it can be fun (almost a small town feel. dont like outsiders, but once youre an insider, youre good lol). It has a lot of trees and greenery, which is refreshing, and it is also an interesting place to live. There is hemp fest, renaissance fair, people jousting or putting on plays in east city park, always something going on in the summer, and lots of strange people. My friend introduced me to the show 'portlandia' and it reminds me way too much of moscow. Other than the occasional missionaries walking down the street, I really dont notice a mormon influence. The city has even passed anti discrimination laws in favor of LGBT people. (which is saying something, for idaho).

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: April 14, 2016 03:24PM

A charming, and interesting town. There was a great French restaurant there.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.