Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: TDWMB ( )
Date: April 21, 2016 10:52AM

http://www.sltrib.com/news/3799848-155/protest-of-byus-honor-code-investigations

“Your virtue is worth more than your life. Please, young folk, preserve your virtue even if you lose your lives.”

More recently President Hinckley said,

“I know what my mother expects. I know what she’s saying in her prayers. She’d rather have me come home dead than unclean.”

Context matters. Your quote from Gordon B. Hinckley comes from an experience he was relating about a young man he talked to in Da Nang during the Vietnam War, not a young woman. Here's "the rest of the story":
"It is a sobering experience to converse with a young man who grew up in a
quiet country town not far from here, a boy who was sent off to war and
who had just come through 42 days of deadly battle. He had seen 68 of
his company of 70 killed. He had been sickened by the atrocities
inflicted by the enemy on the helpless native population. He, like most
of his associates, was not there of his own wish, but in response to an
obligation imposed upon him, and, without fanfare or heroics, he was
doing his duty honorably as he understood that duty.
"I turned to another young man who stood beside him. He was a handsome boy, tall, clean-faced, wholesome in his look. Hoping to relieve the somber tone of
my conversation with the first, I said lightly and half jokingly, "What
are you going to do when you go home? Have you ever thought of it?"
"A wistful sort of light came into his eyes. 'Have I ever thought of it? I
think of little else, sir. We're moving north again tomorrow, and if I
can last another two months I know exactly what I'm going to do when I
go home. I'm going to do three things. First I'm going back to school
and finish my education so that I can earn a living at something
worthwhile.
"'I'm also going to work in the Church and try to do some
good. I've seen how desperately the world needs what the Church has to
offer.
"'And then I'm going to find me a beautiful girl and marry her forever.'
"I countered with a question, 'Are you worthy of that kind of a girl?'
"'I hope so, sir,' he said. 'It hasn't been easy to walk through this
filth. It's been pretty lonely at times. But you know, I couldn't let my
folks down.
"'I know what my mother expects. I know what she's saying in her prayers. She'd rather have me come home dead than unclean'" (Gordon B. Hinckley, in Conference Report, April 1967, 52).

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Myron Donnerbalken ( )
Date: April 21, 2016 11:48AM

The story stinks firstly of Mormon bullshit, a made up object lesson, i.e., a lie told with the hope or expectation that, no matter how untrue, listeners will be scared straight. The premise is also morally wrong. And he was plain mistaken if he actually believed that your parents would rather have you home in box than learn you got laid or drunk.

Posted by: Pista ( )
Date: April 21, 2016 11:52AM

"My life is worth more than your opinion of me."

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: April 21, 2016 11:59AM

Excellent

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: April 21, 2016 11:54AM

my response to that:

Bullshit. Mormon Bullshit.

Posted by: scaredhusband ( )
Date: April 21, 2016 11:55AM

Context does indeed matter. After you finished quoting, he then continues and talks about how he would remember that conversation with the young man.
"...I thought of him when I talked with two young people, the one a once-beautiful girl and the other, a once-handsome young man, who had blighted their lives in walking a sordid trail of immorality.
I would that the Lord would give me the power to say something out of that young marine's words to youth wherever they may be listening, to the young men and women of this challenging generation in this and other lands. He mentioned three things he wanted to do, and then spoke indirectly of another he was already doing....
...I therefore offer you these challenges:

1. That you prepare for usefulness.
2. That you serve with faith.
3. That you walk in virtue....

...And now to the third challenge: Walk in virtue.

I commend to you the stirring and inspirational message from President McKay at the opening session of this conference. In behalf of the vast audience who did not hear that message, I should like to read a paragraph from this man whom we sustain as Prophet:

"In this day when modesty is thrust into the background, and chastity is considered an outmoded virtue, I appeal to parents especially, and to my fellow teachers, both in and out of the Church, to teach youth to keep their souls unmarred and unsullied from this and other debasing sins, the consequences of which will smite and haunt them intimately until their conscience is seared and their character becomes sordid. A chaste, not a profligate, life is the source of virile manhood. The test of true womanhood comes when the woman stands innocent at the court of chastity. All qualities are crowned by this most precious virtue of beautiful womanhood."

Now that we have the context isn't it a little unsettling that he thinks "I know what my mother expects. I know what she's saying in her prayers. She'd rather have me come home dead than unclean", When he sees a couple living together?

It seems to fit the narrative from the book The Miracle of Forgiveness.

How about all the quotes in The Miracle of Forgiveness?

“There is no true Latter-day Saint who would not rather bury a son or a daughter than to have him or her lose his or her chastity – realizing that chastity is of more value than anything else in all the world.”

- Prophet Heber J. Grant, Gospel Standards, complied by G. Homer Durham, p. 55

“Also far-reaching is the effect of loss of chastity. Once given or taken or stolen it can never be regained. Even in a forced contact such as rape or incest, the injured one is greatly outraged. If she has not cooperated and contributed to the foul deed, she is of course in a more favorable position. There is no condemnation when there is no voluntary participation. It is better to die in defending one's virtue than to live having lost it without a struggle.”

- Prophet Spencer W. Kimball, LDS Prophet, The Miracle of Forgiveness, p. 196

“President David O. McKay has pleaded:
Your virtue is worth more than your life. Please, young folk, preserve your virtue even if you lose your lives.”

- Prophet Spencer W. Kimball, LDS Prophet, The Miracle of Forgiveness, p. 63

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: April 21, 2016 12:27PM

I was counseled in my patriarchal blessing to guard my virtue with my life. It scared the hell out of me. And I WAS willing to kill or die to protect it.

But dying to protect her chastity isn't even an option for most rape victims. If a woman is 130 pounds and her assailant is larger, as most men are, she will just be overpowered. And in the LDS church, she'll be blaming herself for living through the ordeal, because the fact that she survived means she didn't try hard enough to resist.

It's sick.

The church is telling women that their 'purity' is more important than their LIFE. Instead, they should know that they will be loved and supported and valued, and accepted, no matter if they are a virgin or not. (And this goes for consensual sex)

Posted by: scaredhusband ( )
Date: April 21, 2016 02:30PM

*Barf* I am so sorry, you had to grow up with that mindset. I haven't read my patriarchal blessing since I have stopped believing, maybe I should for a good laugh.

It is sad to me that some women think their value comes from the status of their hymen.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: April 22, 2016 09:43AM

And that was exactly why I was disciplined via Bishop's court at 15 for not fighting hard enough against being abused all summer.

I really don't have a response for the OP aside from maybe spitting on the ground and unleashing a string of colorful expletives.

This right here is the mindfuck that propelled me out of the church.

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: April 21, 2016 02:46PM

τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶςḔ tā̀n ḕ epì tâs

"Either [with] it [your shield], or on it

"Meaning "either you will win the battle, or you will die and then be carried back home on your shield".It was said by Spartan mothers to their sons before they went out to battle to remind them of their bravery and duty to Sparta and Greece.

A hoplite could not escape the field of battle unless he tossed away the heavy and cumbersome shield. Therefore "losing one's shield" meant desertion. (Plutarch, Moralia, 241)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Greek_phrases

Posted by: irishrose ( )
Date: April 21, 2016 04:34PM

More vomit from the pharisees of BYU. It is well established that the cult is predicated on fiction, and ironically, a fiction plagiarized from multiple sources. But the worst thing about the cult is its perversion of Christianity. It should be called the Cult of the Do-Do. Do-do this; don't do that. Much like the pharisees of Christ's time, mormons are obsessed with their own perception of "purity" and "virtue." Jesus called them whited-sepulchers filled with dead men's bones. Later, the Apostle Paul called obsession with the law the "ministry of death." [2 Cor. 3:7-8.] That's where mormon's find their sweet spot, living underneath the ministry of death and condemnation.

You can't give what you don't have. The LDS cult lacks charity, compassion and empathy they only have condemnation.

Thank God to be free, living in the grace and liberty of Christ. "Therefore, if the Son sets you free, you really will be free." [John 8:36.] We are not "licked cupcakes" in the eyes of God, just sons and daughters finding our way.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 21, 2016 06:33PM

Best.

Posted by: boydslittlefactory ( )
Date: April 21, 2016 07:45PM

I would reply that the value of my daughter extends well beyond an intact hymen!

Can't think of a similar reply for a son :(
Perhaps someone else here can.

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: April 21, 2016 07:55PM

About the concept. BULLSHITSKI

Posted by: lavaman ( )
Date: April 21, 2016 08:00PM

I hope BYU's law school is shut down over this - send them a message to put women's right's first. They are so, so screwed up...

Posted by: Richard Foxe ( )
Date: April 21, 2016 08:03PM

"Now I have come to the crossroads in my life. I always knew what the right path was. Without exception, I knew. But I never took it. You know why? It was too damn hard."

--Lt. Col. Frank Slade [Al Pacino], "Scent of a Woman."

There is a perennial moral choice reflected here, regardless of the specifics. What you 'know' and what you 'know about' are different, reflecting different levels of consciousness. If you say you know but don't act on it, it is still the more superficial level. And yet even in the midst of this we can often sense the deeper level.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 21, 2016 08:26PM

Experience did teach me that a virtuous parent is worse than a dead one.

Posted by: angelgirl ( )
Date: April 22, 2016 12:37AM

"Virtue is it's own reward; Chastity is it's own punishment."

Posted by: Student of Trinity ( )
Date: April 22, 2016 04:53AM

According to Hinckley's story, this young man has already fought honorably as a soldier in an awful war, and he now has responsible plans to study to make an honest living and help people, and to be faithful to a wife. That sounds pretty respectable to me. But Hinckley considers it a serious question whether the man is "worthy of that kind of a girl".

What "kind of a girl" did he mean, who might be too good for an earnest young veteran? A heroine who had saved people's lives, or taught the poor, or created great art, or cured a disease?

No. Just "a beautiful girl". Perhaps a draft-dodging delinquent would have been good enough for a plain young woman, but for a beautiful girl, the young veteran has to search his soul.

His particular beautiful girl may never have had to worry about anything worse than a broken fingernail, while he himself may well have drawn a deep breath and run into fire, and held dying friends in his arms. But is he worthy of her beauty?

Something's wrong, here.

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: April 22, 2016 07:49AM

+1

exactly what I was thinking!

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: April 22, 2016 09:47AM

Personally, I'd rather have my daughters (or my son) alive and no longer virgins than dead.
Any day.

Hinckley and the rest of the "virtue or my life" cult can go screw *themselves.* They don't have any virtue anyway.

Posted by: MCR ( )
Date: April 22, 2016 11:29AM

Why are there so many sex problems among men and women in Utah? This. This idea. This purity/virtue fetish deeply imbues sex with the stench of rape. Honest men and women just can't do that to each other over and over--so each retreats to their own private fantasies--where no one gets hurt.

Posted by: onthedownlow ( )
Date: April 22, 2016 12:58PM

Yes, I have a response to this:

How can a con-organization and con-leadership-therein be credible sources of any kind about any subject matter? Its a paradox at best.

Posted by: anonculus ( )
Date: April 22, 2016 03:57PM

Yes, your virtue is important.

Where TSCC goes wrong is in using the word "virtue" to refer to the hymen. Why do they do that? So their childish obsession sounds wiser than it really is.

Fleeing a corrupt organization is what "protecting your virtue" really looks like.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.