Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: April 22, 2016 12:30AM

Whoever they are there taking money from one of my accounts and have been for several months. It wasn't authorized by me or my TBM Dad. We think it might have to do with Met Life Insurance. I don't even know how they got the account numbers or even the routing numbers!!

Any help would be appreciated!! Thanks!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: eunice ( )
Date: April 22, 2016 12:41AM

Do they list a phone number in the transaction description line?

Also, call your bank in the morning and ask them.

Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: April 22, 2016 12:44AM

I didn't see a phone number. Unless it appears on the day they do it.

Posted by: eunice ( )
Date: April 22, 2016 12:51AM

When I look online at transactions at our bank, it gives details about the company doing the automatic debit...including a phone number for them.

If yours does not give you enough info to know who this is and as you say you don't recognize it, call your bank and ask them.

Good luck in getting this sorted out!

And glad to see you back on here!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 22, 2016 10:30AM

Try clicking on the transaction. That should bring up more information about it. If you are unable to get enough information to contact the company, then talk to a bank officer about it.

If it's Metropolitan Life insurance company or one of its affiliates, try this number:

1-800-METLIFE (1-800-638-5433)

I wonder if your brother may have signed you up for something without your knowledge.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: April 22, 2016 01:04AM

Call your bank first thing in the morning and ask them who is taking money out of your account. They will know who it is.

I'm glad to see you back, I was worried about you. How is Poncho doing?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2016 11:16AM by madalice.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 22, 2016 01:10AM

Chico, Harpo and Groucho Marx are all ... deceased.

You're wondering about Poncho, the wonder Chihuahua!!

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: April 22, 2016 04:56AM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Chico, Harpo and Groucho Marx are all ...
> deceased.
>
> You're wondering about Poncho, the wonder
> Chihuahua!!
=====================================
And so is Sophie the Chihuahua, sister of the late great StalkerDog™!

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: April 22, 2016 11:16AM

haha, you're right. I fixed that.

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: April 22, 2016 07:27AM

People can buy insurance for in-home care. I copied this from a MetLife booklet.

"Long-term care insurance is private-pay insurance that can assist in reimbursement for home care
costs if an individual meets the eligibility criteria in the policy. The insurance must be purchased before
the care is needed, for example, before long-term care becomes necessary."

https://www.metlife.com/assets/cao/mmi/publications/essentials/mmi-receiving-care-at-home.pdf

Posted by: Concrete Zipper ( )
Date: April 22, 2016 11:03AM

Call your banking institution as soon as possible to find out what the withdrawals were and to reverse them if necessary.

These kinds of transfers are done through the ACH system, which is the "automated clearing house" for dealing with checks. Most checks and other payments and transfers are handled this way. For example, if you make a payment to your credit card company over the phone, they will ask for for bank's routing number and your account number so that they can transfer the money from your account to theirs, as if you had written them a check.

Here is a little known fact: ANYONE who has your bank's routing number and your account number can use the ACH system to make transfers into or out of your account. The security is not particularly good and the banking system's main tool to mitigate against fraud is the ability to reverse the transfers. There is often only a limited time period during which they can reverse a withdrawal, so you should act quickly.

If you truly did not authorize these withdrawals, don't be afraid to threaten the offending party with legal consequences. What they have done is the equivalent of writing a forged check. Note that your banking institution is almost certainly not at fault, and will try to cooperate with you.

Good luck.

CZ

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.