Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: newcomer ( )
Date: April 24, 2016 08:46AM

Mormons at office said nothing sand contributed nothing in conversions about Prince. Are they that walled off from society?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ChubbyTheFat ( )
Date: April 24, 2016 09:37AM

Not everybody is in tune with modern pop culture. I know that I am not since there is simply nothing on TV.

I heard about the passing of Prince from a coworker. I did not know the man, but I feel sympathy for his family. That is all.

Posted by: newcomer ( )
Date: April 24, 2016 10:43AM

ChubbyTheFat Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Not everybody is in tune with modern pop culture.
> I know that I am not since there is simply nothing
> on TV.
>
> I heard about the passing of Prince from a
> coworker. I did not know the man, but I feel
> sympathy for his family. That is all.

But not one Mormon knowing enough to comment on Prince, out of maybe 5 coworkers?

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: April 24, 2016 03:27PM

ChubbyTheFat Wrote:
> Not everybody is in tune with modern pop culture.

Prince was a big deal 30 years ago, and those who were alive and aware at the time recognize his genius and his and continuing influence. But "modern pop culture" left him behind a long time ago. My teenage kids don't know or care about any of his remarkable achievements or success, and wouldn't recognize any of his music. That's the nature of pop culture.

Posted by: onthedownlow ( )
Date: April 25, 2016 02:49PM

Pop Life. "Everybody needs a thrill"

Posted by: blankstare ( )
Date: April 24, 2016 09:50AM

It's not just Mormons who don't know Prince. I work with a lot of people who had never heard of him. His music was simply not their style. And if they had heard of him, they often said his lyrics were vulgar. One coworker (not Mormon) said he didn't know any songs by Prnce. I couldn't name any either, so I randomly listened to a few off YouTube and didn't find the melodies interesting. Mind you, I like a wide range of music and listen to a lot of my kids' music, but certain few styles just aren't interesting to me. So people not knowing about or liking a certain musician should not be a surprise.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: April 24, 2016 10:37AM

My son's family got my wife tickets to Billy Joel at Safeco Field in Seattle next month for her birthday.

Their first comments to me were "Do you know who Billy Joel is?"

I first said, he's Christy Brinkley's ex and also the 'Piano Man".

I'm old, but not dead yet.

I still get good vibs when I hear "Raspberry Parade".

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: April 24, 2016 02:34PM

For me, it's "Little Red Chevette."

; )

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: April 25, 2016 05:00AM

"Raspberry Beret"

Yes. he was that pretentious.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: April 24, 2016 03:42PM

It's mostly about personal taste in music and what we like to listen to and find inspiring. Clearly, not everyone even knew who Prince was. Not everyone is into the latest pop music, either. I only like and appreciate a few artists/bands, etc., most I do not care for. Don't care for rap either. I recognize some of Prince's music but I found him way off the charts of what I enjoyed watching or listening to. I had the same reaction to Michael Jackson. I know Mormons who loved both of them and appreciated their music and some didn't. Not everything in this world is about Mormonism! Not even close.
We are all different in our taste in music.
Personal choice, different strokes for different folks. In my case, it is probably because I am a musician, entertained and taught for many years, and studied music theory.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2016 03:43PM by SusieQ#1.

Posted by: Boggles ( )
Date: April 24, 2016 03:44PM

...we worship some strange Gods in this country.

Posted by: Visitors welcome ( )
Date: April 24, 2016 04:24PM

Date: April 24, 2016 04:25PM

Visitors welcome Wrote:
> n/t

I agree.

Posted by: GQ Cannonball ( )
Date: April 24, 2016 09:55PM

I wouldn't call a musician that is worth $300+ million "niche."

Date: April 24, 2016 11:20PM

GQ Cannonball Wrote:
> I wouldn't call a musician that is worth $300+
> million "niche."

The "niche" is about the unique style of his music. Not the money.

Date: April 25, 2016 12:52AM

Which of his musical styles are you referring to? He's actually lauded as one of the most versatile musicians and performers in the history of rock and roll and pop music.

Posted by: Oakland Guy ( )
Date: April 25, 2016 03:04AM

to the contrary, Prince had a universal appeal, like Michael Jackson. His music appealed to a very diverse group of people on a very large scale.

Madonna, U2 have extemely large but narrow demographics that make up their fan bases. While Prince has sizable following among male/female, gay/straight, black/white rock/soul/funk lovers. Prince has a large and diverse fan base.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: April 24, 2016 09:06PM

I still remember when I heard that Al Jolson died.

Kids these days can't name one Al Jolson song.

And blackface is considered rude.

Oh well, pop culture changes with time.

Date: April 24, 2016 09:10PM

baura

So true.
Who can name the jazz greats?

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: April 24, 2016 09:28PM

Stockton, Malone, ,Maravich, Dantley, Eaton, Boozer.......

Date: April 24, 2016 10:50PM

StillAnon Wrote:
> Stockton, Malone, ,Maravich, Dantley, Eaton,
> Boozer.......

Charlie Parker, Louis Armstrong..... and so on...

Posted by: siobhan ( )
Date: April 24, 2016 11:09PM

Harry Von Tilzer.

Posted by: mrtranquility ( )
Date: April 26, 2016 12:33PM

> Who can name the jazz greats?

Off the top of my head: Louis Armstrong, Duke Ellington, Billie Holiday, Bix Beiderbeck, Benny Goodman, Glenn Miller, Dorsey Brothers, Count Basie, Thelonius Monk, Dave Brubeck, Charlie Parker, Miles Davis, Ornette Coleman, Ella Fitzgerald, Gerry Mulligan, Oscar Petersen, Keith Jarrod, and I could go on...

There's still some of us jazz fans out there.

Posted by: iknowthischurchisfalse ( )
Date: April 24, 2016 09:26PM

TBF, they've been shielded by their families and friends from his sexually explicit music. They prefer safe sounding Osmond and pop country crap.

Posted by: elderpopejoy ( )
Date: April 24, 2016 10:21PM

Folks down here in Butcher Holler have never heard much about this purple Monarch Slave whose death seems to be causing such a stir.

Texts of his sex-explicit screaming would do for his epitaph.

Give us songs by Merle Haggard instead. Stranger, requiem in pace.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: April 24, 2016 10:24PM

Is it a requirement of life to know about Prince. I am sorry that one so young has died but but I wouldn't be able to identify anything he recorded if I heard it.

Posted by: DebbiePA ( )
Date: April 24, 2016 10:27PM

Don't feel bad. A few weeks ago I made a comment to my boss about Patty Duke dying and she said, "Who's Patty Duke?"

Posted by: AVT-16 ( )
Date: April 24, 2016 10:38PM

Sing to her

Here's Cathy whos been most everywhere. From San Antone to Buckley Square......But Patty's only seen the sights that you can see from Brooklyn Hieghts what a crazy pair.

Their cousins Cousins all the waaaaaaaaayyyyyy!

Posted by: anonculus ( )
Date: April 25, 2016 03:15PM

Don't forget, "A hot dog makes her lose control"

Who said the 50s were bland...

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: April 24, 2016 11:40PM

One of my Dad's favorite stories is when someone he knew-I can't remember who, thought that the lyrics to "raspberry beret' were 'she was a rad righteous babe'. :D

I loved Prince, his stuff was always good. He was incredibly innovative. And as a former Minnesotan, I am required too. Him and Bob Dylan. My sister-in-law grew up right off of highway 61, haha.

Date: April 25, 2016 01:13AM

I spend a lot of time in MSP and admire how loyal he was to his hometown. Its music scene is outstanding, in no small measure thanks to him.

Posted by: mrtranquility ( )
Date: April 26, 2016 10:45AM

It's a very short one (tee hee): I was in a band in college in the mid-80s in Minneapolis and we were going to play at the 7th Street Entry (this is the back bar of First Avenue where the concert scenes of the movie "Purple Rain" were filmed), so we were out postering (how we did it before the internet) outside First Avenue. While there a BMW pulled up and his Purple Shortness got out and walked into First Ave. I was impressed with two things: how short he was (5'2") and because he was wearing tight-fitting jumpsuit I noticed he was kind of bowlegged with a longer torso and shorter legs.

Never did see him in concert, and I'm regretting it. He was the consummate entertainer and a musician's musician. In a world full of pop music fake-os he was the real deal.

My sister recorded once as a back-up singer in the 80s at Paisley Park for a non-Prince session. No Prince sightings to report.

I'm pretty sure Paisley Park will turn into Graceland North especially with no musical successor to his empire. It might be a good time to invest in real estate in Chanhassen, MN.

I am more bummed by his untimely demise than I would have anticipated. In his 80s heyday, my head was too far up the ass of Mormonism to stand too close to his very sexualized, androgynous persona. He was the total minion of Satan from the Mormon perspective.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2016 10:49AM by mrtranquility.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.